• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah, corporation. I'm not gonna claim the other big guys handle it well all the time or even sincerely care but Nintendo doesn't even pretend to. They try to remain neutral and "family friendly" but isn't that the excuse that creates all of these issues in the first place? Their "think of the children" attitude is part of the problem and needs to be called out on. And that's not even getting into the diversity issues where Nintendo far behind everyone else. Not a single PoC main character, to say nothing of LGBTQ.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean yeah, corporation. I'm not gonna claim the other big guys handle it well all the time or even sincerely care but Nintendo doesn't even pretend to. They try to remain neutral and "family friendly" but isn't that the excuse that creates all of these issues in the first place? Their "think of the children" attitude is part of the problem and needs to be called out on. And that's not even getting into the diversity issues where Nintendo far behind everyone else. Not a single PoC main character, to say nothing of LGBTQ.
What are we referring to here?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah the "family friendly" play isn't neutral and it's not even really family friendly with the social gains that the US has made and is quickly losing grasp of again.

Nintendo are cowards for staying back.

Dec 15, 2017
Hopefully when younger leadership eventually takes over they will be more open to promoting diversity in their developments. But that's just a hope.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really dont care what brands think and their usual empty gestures are pretty lame I think

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
There are small things like how they handle gender in AC (pokemon?) and I think same sex relationships in miitopia?

But yeah it's pretty sad that that's the most that seems to have happened, not to mention even vocalizing support for issues.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Lack of gay/trans characters, refusal to even take a stand on social issues.
And where are the gay/trans protagonists in Sony and Microsoft games? I can name The Last Of Us Part II and Tell Me Why and that's it.

It's not like this is particularly widespread elsewhere, and Nintendo's game types don't lend themselves to storytelling that would include this detail. You could argue that Bayonetta is a fairly queer game though.

Lack of acknowledgement of queer relationships in Tomodachi Life etc. really sucks though.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Nintendo try to sit firmly in the camp of stepping on nobodies toes, which means they're fucking cowards who don't believe in anything or want to piss anyone off. I agree though, especially from a diversity point of view they're fucking abysmal and it sucks that we can't get the most "family friendly" of the three to bother with representation.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I mean you're going for two different things here

More diversity? Yeah that's very fair and should be pushed for

More vocal about social issues? Not gonna happen

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I mean... they fucking suck. They're cowards. Their corporate culture makes it clear they're grotesquely exploitative with the shield of an asterisk, and conservative through and through.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo really should have gone ahead and made Jin x Malos and Morag x Brighid explicitly canon (well, more explicit than it already is)

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
How about we not with the generic call out threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.