• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
www.videogameschronicle.com

Nintendo says it’s interested in NFTs and the Metaverse: ‘We feel the potential in this area’ | VGC

But the company doesn’t know how to “provide joy” with them yet…

"We do have interest in this area, we feel the potential in this area, but we wonder what joy we can provide in this area and this is difficult to define right now," the company reportedly said.

Personally I see it as giving lip service to their shareholders while saying they still aren't doing it.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Anyone who thought Nintendo wasn't even looking into NFTs and Metaverse was a fool.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Feel like this would be the same generic response to literally anything outside of games they were asked about. No chance they touch NFT's

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Much like the acquisition comment, this also feels like a nothing comment to kick the can down the road. If NFTs become more popular and accepted with the masses Nintendo will embrace them, and if/(when) the ceiling collapses in, they can continue to not engage with them as they have.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Standard "Neither yes nor no" answer to keep investors happy until the nonsense of NFTs goes out of fashion.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's a bit weird to put NFTs and Metaverse into the same question - NFTs should be a clear no from Nintendo while the Metaverse is clearly not ready to be discussed and might be something that no one gets around in 10 years.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine all the Mario recolors NFTs.
Super Mario Boat Gang

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It'll provide me joy when I shit on Nintendo for NFT crap. Is that helpful?

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
At least their intention is to deliver joy with new approaches, unlike many others..i.e. Facebook.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
they found the joy of gacha easy enough. Maybe they just need to look harder.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Between Nintendo, Sony and MS I think Nintendo would definitely be the one most likely to introduce NFT's out of the bunch.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Nintendo being the first of the big 3 to get into NFTs isn't what I was expecting tbh.

Last edited:

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I feel like if they do it it'll be some optional thing, a bit like amiibo in the sense of in theory being able to use X thing across multiple games. I'm not defending them, but I do think they'd find a slightly more entertaining way of doing it than doing it for the sake of it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a very political "no" if I've seen one, and one that's muddied by blanket grouping metaverse and NFTs (both which are shit but one reads differently)

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo NFT's when?

every company isn't going to leave money on the table. They know they can make money off this and we are heading for dark times.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Even EA response was better than this lol

They are going to try sooner than later

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It kind of feels like the logical next step for them after they already dabbled in the concept of artificial digital scarcity with 3D All Stars and Fire Emblem

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
they keep forgetting about the joy of scamming people smh

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
P.S. This is purposefully nebulous PR speak for "we're not doing it, but we can't say that."

OP
OP
SinCityAssassin
Oct 25, 2017
Like for some of you responding you legitimately have to see this as a "we're interested because you the shareholder are but we don't know what the fuck we'd do with it" so they're still not actually doing it.

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
When even Nintendo can't make something fun, perhaps it's best if that thing dies. Screaming. In a fire.

Paper Cheese

Oct 9, 2019
Absolute shock horror at Nintendo telling their investors that they aren't ruling out NFTs in order to stop their share price from collapsing.

This is about as close as a big company like Nintendo is going to come to saying that they aren't doing NFTs without outright saying it. Could happen in the future but this makes it clear it won't be anytime soon, to my eyes anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.