• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 34239

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
I picked up a switch again after getting rid of mine shortly after launch and honestly, I'm completely shocked at the relatively minor progress that has been made with regards to store pricing and OS improvements. This system is supposed to be an "affordable system" but it offers the highest cost of ownership along with the worst value proposition I've seen in a Nintendo device for a very long time. Where I live, the Switch costs about $379.99 before tax which puts it on par with both the ps4 and the xbox one. Both of those consoles can be found at cheaper prices or bundled with more items to increase the value proposition. The same cannot be said about the switch. In fact, just last week, the xbox one x could be purchased for $469.99 before tax. For an additional $90(the cost of a 400gb micro sd card), you could purchase an Xbox One X. Yes, let that sink in for a moment. Now, I'm not going to mention the "optional/recommended" accessories because that will create an unnecessary tangent that steers us off topic. In fact, lets just ignore the cost of the hardware completely.

Let's look at the OS instead. Party chat, folders, media apps, web browser, custom themes, etc are some of the features that are either completely missing or lacking on the switch. When I initially purchased the system at launch, it felt barebones to me. Almost 2 years later, it's like nothing has changed. It still feels barebones and lacking in many ways. I could go on and on and on but, lets ignore the OS and talk about the games.

• Mario Kart 8, a port of a Wii U game = $79.99
  • Skyrim in 2019 = $79.99
  • Dark Souls Remastered in 2019 = $49.99
  • Saints Row 3 in 2019 = $49.99
  • Payday 2 in 2019 = $63.99
I mean, Nintendo must be having a laugh. Imagine paying that much money for old games and in many cases, paying significantly more for worse performance? It truly is a terrible joke and Nintendo need to sort it out. I recently picked up a switch again and when I initially picked it up, I purchased maybe 3-4 games digitally. At this rate, I'll purchase maybe 1-2 more games before the system hits it EOL.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
You aren't wrong, but people keep buying them so they keep the prices up. It's how Nintendo has always been and how Nintendo will likely always be OP.

Jorden1506

May 29, 2018
Netherlands
Those prices are insane and probably more a factor of where you life and the taxes. Also I never heard Nintendo promoting it as an affordable system they used the 3ds for that.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Why would Nintendo be responsible for the price of third-party games? Only MK8 is from them in that list.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
All of the non-Nintendo games you listed have had or will have price drops and sales consistently. You can get Dark Souls for $32 at Target right now, for example.

Nintendo's stuff though, yeah. It's a bummer.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
3rd parties have the freedom to price their games how they want, and they saw people buying 26 years old games at 40€ (USF2) so they all went, why not me?
Capcom is especially bad, also almost all their games are digital only in EU when they have retail release in the USA.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are these CAD prices? I've seen most complaints about costs and games come from Canada as of this gen, did something happen some years back?

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I mean, you're right about Nintendo games, but I think you could use better games as example, as those are mostly 3rd party games.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
You didn't research the OS updates of a $250 system before you bought it... again??

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
Four of those games are not published by Nintendo. Not sure where you are at, but here in the states you can regularly find the console itself for ~$269 at various retail outlets.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Like Nintendo cares what Bethesda, Bandai Namco, and THQ Nordic charge for their own games?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm all digital on the Switch with over 100 titles so I feel you on how it can be expensive. I find the sales to often be pretty good outside of Nintendo games though, and now at least there's the tickets to chip those down a bit.

The convenience and quality of the system means I'm happy to pay the extra to get the games on it. Not sure I've seen it pitched as the 'affordable system' but could have missed that.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
You aren't wrong, but people keep buying them so they keep the prices up. It's how Nintendo has always been and how Nintendo will likely always be OP.

Yep. The demand is still there at the higher prices so there is no incentive for Nintendo and other publishers to decrease the price of the supply.

People seem to be willing to pay more, perhaps for the portability.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so:
  • Nintendo does not promote the Switch as an affordable system
  • Only one of the games in the OP is a Nintendo game
  • The Switch OS is stupidly blazing fast, and that's what I care about more than anything on a game system, so I would rather sacrifice media apps and shit

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
Yep cause im sure nintendo sets prices of all the games on its store...even ones not made by them....and i never see switches being sold for almost 400 dollars.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Are these CAD prices? I've seen most complaints about costs and games come from Canada as of this gen, did something happen some years back?

Yes those are Canadian prices. Our dollar tanked. Prices went up 30%, wages did not.

There's still deals if you know where to look. There have been plenty of preorders of top tier games available for $50 and $60 from amazon.ca and Walmart.ca over the past few years for example.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
You're right and its one of the reasons I don't buy multiplats on Switch. Nintendo made games I have just accepted the fact that they will be full price for 2 years so I just bite the bullet.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
They don't set the prices of third party games but yeah their first party games don't drop in price. Until they become selects or whatever.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Where are those prices from? Digital prices for retail games are way higher here.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They still sell. Having portable Skyrim and Dark Souls has been tempting to me, even at the high prices.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the other thing is games on Switch very clearly still sell in spite of those high prices. At that point, what incentive is there for a publisher to drop the price?

If the games are not worth that price to you, just don't buy them.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
There are legitimate criticisms to be made regarding the OS and its features, but people are willing to pay those prices for Nintendo and big 3rd party titles. And, at least in the U.S., there are frequent sales for indie and 3rd party games.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Something about not wanting to devalue the price of the content. Can't really blame them.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I paid for 82.85 for turok 2 on N64 so what.

prices are fair to you guys these days that was in the 90s and today that be 100+ dollars.

Apr 21, 2018
The Switch tax is for:

-cartridge costs
-additional optimization to run on the hardware
-hybrid gaming. Every game is a handheld game now too
-Novelty of hybrid gaming device/games

It annoys me too OP, but I guess I get it. 3rd party games go on aggressive sales too. I grabbed Wolfenstein 2 and Skyrim for far cheaper prices during sales.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch's value is way better when you sacrifice MS and Sony platforms and you get a PC. Nintendo's games are different enough and good enough to justify their pricing. I'm even thinking of double dipping on games that are on other platfoems, like Mortal Kombat.

You're also ignoring that you need to afford a display capable of even using a Pro/X for their intended purpose. So... lol.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Launch prices on most rerelease/remaster games usually make me wince, but they're not that out of line with other platforms. Dark Souls Remastered was recently on sale here in the US for 30% off, which made it $12 cheaper than it is on Steam (or $8 more if you had PtDE already). GCU helped for physical, but since that isn't an option for me anymore, I just occasionally scan eBay or here for used copies (or wait for sales like the B2G1 promo Target does). I just try to exercise patience with games I want that seem a bit too pricey. Almost always, they eventually go on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.