• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2018
Lock if old or if info is incorrect, but BBC dropped this little nugget in an article this morning:

www.bbc.co.uk

PS5 vs Xbox Series X: How do they compare? - CBBC Newsround

Who will win the console war this Christmas? We take a look at the new Xbox and Playstation.

Playstation fans will only be able to play games from the PS4 console onwards on the standard version of PS5.

However, the digital version of the console will not have backwards compatibility.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
It must be a mistake.

PS5 owners only get the PS plus collection of PS4 games, but you can't play them? Nah.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a mistake written by someone who doesn't quite understand how games work.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
With discs? That's a given but for my digital PS4 library?
That's whack...i don't know if true

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure you can't use your PS4 discs with the PS5DE ;)
Digital PS4 games will run normally on the PS5DE.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't make sense, they must be talking about your disc games not being compatible (for obvious reasons).

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
giphy.gif

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
Would that mean the disc version can only play disc-based PS4 games but not digital PS4 games? Because otherwise this doesn't make sense.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
given the Plus collection announcement, this makes no sense at all. a mistake.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
If true, which would be wild, this should have been something they clarified before preorders.

Last edited:

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Megaton if true but I give it a less than 1% chance of being correct

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
They probably meant BC with your PS4 discs(which should be obvious), don't see why you couldn't redownload your digital PS4 library.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Both consoles will have something called 'backwards compatibility' which means that a new console is able to play game discs from older consoles.

The Xbox Series X will be able to play games from their previous two consoles, the Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Playstation fans will only be able to play games from the PS4 console onwards on the standard version of PS5.

However, the digital version of the console will not have backwards compatibility.

By the definition they use for BC in the article (see bolded), then yes, the PS5 is not BC.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
That's what happened when you don't clarify anything in your own event but prefer to talk about this kind of relevant point in a pointless interview buried under a ton of articles covering the different news

Status
Not open for further replies.