• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Why do you like/support corporate acquisitions?

• I like watching big company number go up

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I have some financial incentive for one of these companies taking over

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • It empowers my side of the console war

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • I just love huge corporations

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I just fucking hate unions and any actual meaningful progress in this industry

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • I'm a shill :)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Consolidate me harder, daddy~

Votes: 13 39.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
So if you were here yesterday on good ol' ResetERA dot com, you might have noticed that I made an extremely cool thread criticizing the exuberence with which this forum engages in speculation and discussion in regards to corporate acquisitions and market consolidation, to an almost disturbing and sycophantic degree.

(that thread was locked after about two minutes without a single lick of mod communication btw :^]]]]])

Which begs the question

Like, seriously, what is the actual appeal of seeing huge companies gain more power in the market. Why should these huge entities get more and more pull when we know that their foundations are rotten and built on abuses? Why should companies where workers were working hard for actual, meaningful change be able to be bought out and have all their efforts crushed in an instant.

Is there really nothing more important to some people than seeing their "side" win or the idea that you might get a product you really want out of it when the efforts of hard-working, hard-suffering people get thrown in the trash while the rich get richer and our lives become increasingly placed in the death grip of mega corps that would rather bleed us dry and burn the planet in their ever-constant pursuit of the almighty dollar?

It's just utterly bizarre to see such slavering support of egregious behavior all for the sake of "ooh but what [company] buys [company] and I can finally get [game]!"

Sony buying capcom won't suddenly bring back dino crisis. Nothing about Banjo's future is bright just because a particular dev team was forced under the Microsoft umbrella. And Square Enix being bought by anyone won't bring back the JRPG magic you felt as a teenager. So, why? Why continue the act? Why keep up with the idea that these corporations will provide for you specifically? That buying into and supporting their corporate model will spare you from the all-consuming void of late-stage capitalism that seeks to rend apart the very ground we walk upon for the sake of a profit? Do you think that appeasing the beast will abate it? Do you believe that when the heavens fall and the hells rise that Daddy Microsoft or Papa Sony will protect you because you bought Gamepass Ultimate or Super PS+? Do you believe that the false gods you worship are the salvation of this twisted, wailing maelstrom that they helped create?

Let me know in the poll!

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
If there's anything I've learned from the past two days, it's that monopolies are cool as long as it's for the console I personally own, apparently

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
You're trying really hard to not be taken seriously with how you've presented both these threads now

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I don't know, this feels like a weird time to make this thread since the reaction here to the Acti acquisition seemed mostly mixed, leaning toward negative. In general, though, I don't know, fanboyism I reckon is why a lot of people like them.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
So there's no option for "it may be better for the studio or the people who work there" huh? I see.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
People desperately want to be experts on game biz and this is their chance to get their takes out there

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like a LOT of your takes up there aren't really mentioned around here. I've seen much more ire for the whole thing than excitement.

I think you're trying a bit too hard here, OP.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
1. People might get something out of it. Like the Bethesda and Activision acquisitions heavily benefit people in the Xbox or PC ecosystem with gamepass.

2. People don't want to see their favorite company be relegated to making exclusives for only one console.

3. People might want better working conditions for the employees.

4. People hope that with the financial backing of the buyer, the company acquired has more freedom to take on riskier games, maybe even delve into their legacy catalog that might not make much for them.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most charitably, I'm guessing it's just console fanboying without any consideration of what it means for a megacorporation to just start buying other companies in the name of consolidation.

"What if Nintendo bought Sega and like Sonic was Mario now????" just sounds kinda neat in your head.

So there's no option for "it may be better for the studio or the people who work there" huh? I see.
Famously pro-union company Microsoft is here to save the day.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

OP thinks that the workers were gonna make Daddy Kotick change, but now Daddy Phil dashes that!

Why should companies where workers were working hard for actual, meaningful change be able to be bought out and have all their efforts crushed in an instant.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Its probably 99% console war mentality. At best it means better management of studios in regards to pay and more freedoms, and in this case just some much needed hope for employees if the reports are an accurate assessment of the vibe.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This is going to be locked soon, but it shouldn't be.
I meannn....this is just a full blown meltdown thread tho... šŸ˜¬

Do you believe that when the heavens fall and the hells rise that Daddy Microsoft or Papa Sony will protect you because you bought Gamepass Ultimate or Super PS+? Do you believe that the false gods you worship are the salvation of this twisted, wailing maelstrom that they helped create?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
You already made this thread and it got locked by a moderator (Apologies that they didn't respond after doing so).
This is getting locked for the same reason. If you want to discuss acquisitions you can do so in the numerous other threads about the topic as reactionary and bad faith threads are not needed per the FAQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.