• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Link.

Zoe Reardon was 17 when her Jeep collided with pedestrians, killing two women and a baby.

Zoe Reardon, who turns 19 on Tuesday, was sentenced to 36 months on probation and ordered to complete 240 hours of community service and safe driver training. She must pay about $4,000 in fines that she can reduce if she donates to a foundation that works to combat distracted driving, and her license will be suspended for between 12 and 36 months.

Cherokee County State Court Judge Alan Jordan granted first offender status.

"You're pretty young," he told Reardon during sentencing. "You've got a lifetime ahead of you. I expect this is something you're going to have a hard time dealing with the rest of your life."

"I wish there was more I could have done to make it better for y'all," Jordan told the victims' friends and relatives. "I sincerely hope you folks can start to find closure."

Edit -

Investigators determined she was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol and was not speeding. She has told authorities she never saw the pedestrians, who were wearing dark clothing and were crossing an area of the road that, at the time, had no traffic lights, marked pedestrian crossing or other safety measures. The collision happened after the sun had set.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reardon.jpg

Because of course.

MC-MC

Dec 15, 2017
Unless I've missed something it seems this was an accident? Was there any negligence on her part?

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
America seriously under-values how dangerous driving is and treats recklessness with cars as just a mistake that anyone can make. The fact that there is no accountability for poor driving leads to more poor drivers.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
One thing I always defended, is that if you're found responsible for the death of someone while driving you should have an automatic life ban from driving.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It does sound like an accident, if it was during the dark and at a non-marked place, and she wasn't drinking or otherwise distracted. I'm sure she feels like shit about it.

Last week there was a drunk driver here who hit a woman on a scooter, knocking her into oncoming traffic. Some random person in an SUV collided with her and killed her. They aren't at fault but now they get to live with it.

There was also a guy I went to school with who only served three years for hitting a girl on the side of the highway and leaving the goddamn scene and never reporting it. Apparently he called 911 but hung up immediately because he didn't want to get in trouble. In that case, three years is a joke, and he's been out for years now and can drive all he wants.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For those asking if there was any negligence (aside from not paying attention in general), she had apparently sent a text message three minutes before the crash. She said that she was stopped when it was sent and had put the phone in her bag.

That was from a link in the article. It doesn't really mention if anything came of that though.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
well, it seems like a genuine accident, it's terrible but these kind of things can happen to anyone, throwing her in prison wouldn't solve anything in this case! the punishment she got is fair to me

also, here, headlights must be on everytime, even during the day! Sometime it's dark even though it's not nighttime yet, i'm sure it saves some lives

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
The prosecution was trying to be a little shady too by claiming she was texting while driving because she had sent a single text three minutes before the crash. (Which she says was done earlier while stopped)

This all seems like an accident. It's really sad and yes of course if she was a minority, they would probably send her to jail, but that's the side that's messed up, not the other way where we should expand sentencing to be more severe.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
So they all pretended that headlights were never invented, for the purposes of this case?
Are you pretending to never have driven a car or something? Having your headlights on does not illuminate everything around you and turn night into day. Sometimes pedestrians do stupid things, sometimes it's difficult to react in time, and sometimes fault is ambiguous.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Non-story, the media made it appear that someone got probation for killing 3 people. You had to read a bit till you get the reason why she got probation.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"You're pretty young," he told Reardon during sentencing. "You've got a lifetime ahead of you. I expect this is something you're going to have a hard time dealing with the rest of your life."

You know who else had a lifetime ahead of them?

The fucking baby she killed.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She was a minor, it was an accident. This is what should be happening in these cases.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49132

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Last edited:

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With no dui, drugs, crosswalks, dark, and the situation, I don't really feel like a jail term would make sense.

Stick

Oct 30, 2017
You know who else had a lifetime ahead of them?

The fucking baby she killed.
Yeah but if it was due to circumstances that she can't be blamed for, should she also lose her life for it? I mean she's also got to live with the fact she killed 3 people on accident, that's enough punishment for someone to deal with for the rest of their life.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Well it seems like a genuine accident..tragic, but an accident. The sentence probably makes sense.

If she was under the influence, I'd say throw the book at her, of course.

Effnine

Oct 28, 2017
Idiots in my area cross the street at night in dark places all the time. I don't know how many times I've almost hit people or been shocked how close they were.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
So they all pretended that headlights were never invented, for the purposes of this case?
Once I had a pedestrian walk into the street and lie down in the middle lane at night On a straightaway with streetlights nearby and I still barely saw them in time to stop.

Given the circumstances headlights aren't too useful for illuminating small dark colored things like people wearing dark clothes.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I live out in the sticks and people (teens mostly) will walk up and down our road at night. There's no sidewalk, they usually wear dark clothing, and it's dangerous as fuck. These roads are not designed or zoned (speed-wise) for pedestrians. I'm scared shitless I will somehow hit one by accident one night. I don't know how my night vision compares with others but I don't feel like I can see very well at night, despite having good vision otherwise. If it was truly an accident I feel sympathy for all in this case.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Once I had a pedestrian walk into the street and lie down in the middle lane at night On a straightaway with streetlights nearby and I still barely saw them in time to stop.

Given the circumstances headlights aren't too useful for illuminating small dark colored things like people wearing dark clothes.
This story reminded me of a video, which I wasn't able to find, where a guy is in the middle of night and then out of nowhere you can see a person laying in the ground. Thankfully the person driving had amazing reflexes and was able to dodge the person but even a millisecond late and he would've killed that person.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I live out in the sticks and people (teens mostly) will walk up and down our road at night. There's no sidewalk, they usually wear dark clothing, and it's dangerous as fuck. These roads are not designed or zoned (speed-wise) for pedestrians. I'm scared shitless I will somehow hit one by accident one night. I don't know how my night vision compares with others but I don't feel like I can see very well at night, despite having good vision otherwise. If it was truly an accident I feel sympathy for all in this case.
I drive a lot on rural roads and I see people riding bikes on the side of the road, or walking dogs. It is incredibly dangerous when you are on a two lane road where the speed limit is 50 mph and some lady decides that's a good place to walk her dog.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do not understand how, after reading the entire article, you could come to the conclusion that jail time would be appropriate in this case. I'm not even sure why this thread is necessary, or what OP hoped to accomplish by posting this. It's a tragic accident, leave it at that.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
What was she even charged with? If everything in the article is true -- she wasn't speeding, wasn't under the influence of drugs or alcohol, the accident took place at night on an unlit street and the victims were jaywalking while wearing dark clothes -- then it doesn't seem like a crime was committed here, just an unfortunate accident.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Agreed. Thread title and pictures posted here are ripe for bait.

Its a fact poc are treated differently than white folks in the justice system, especially the youth.... as white people are seen as human beings. You've got teens being treated like adult animals for crimes that aren't killing people, who will never hear shit like;

I mean, fix the system that keeps illustrating this? And you'll have to whine less in threads. Maybe? Can we all agree on that?

#hope

Things like this are a reminder that this is how things are supposed to work. But statistically and all data illustrates that it is not the case.

Example;

https://www.theroot.com/georgia-teen-with-no-prior-record-sentenced-to-5-years-1826480462

Georgia Teen With No Prior Record Sentenced to 5 Years in Prison for Stealing a Pair of Sneakers When He Was 15
So one can only imagine what would happen if it was a minority that ran people over.

Its just frustration at how the justice system treats white people, but hey, thats reality.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Isn't this the same forum that calls people looking for tough sentences on 14/16 year olds that planned a murder "Monsters" and said to think of the children?

Fuck that shit. Throw the book at her or don't

Status
Not open for further replies.