• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Since the new Xbox will be a fucking beast, is it even worth to build a high end PC for at least double the price of whatever the Xbox will cost?

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have a beast of an Xbox within my PC via GamePass Ultimate, so yes, I believe it is worth it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9290

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean what justifies the price of a high end PC if you will get equal performance (at least at the beginning) with a far cheaper console?

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, of course. You can do more with a PC outside of gaming and have more storefront options.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
My advice to people is always to target a high end gaming PC build for a year after the new consoles, so you can build something that'll last you the generation.

My pattern has is: Buy new console. Build new PC a year later. Do a GPU refresh midway through the cycle. It's worked well for me.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
is this another one of those threads where someone who knows nothing about tech thinks a 5 hundred dollar console will be as powerful as a high end pc?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
If you want to play PC only games, use mods, not have to worry about backwards compatability/cross buy patches, not pay for online play, regularly use a m/kB, have more graphics options etc etc.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Depends, a 500 dollar 12 tf XSX is an insane value. Topping that on pc side is gonna run couple thousand so is money not a problem?

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
PC has way more games, and there'll be new cards out before the xbox that are considerably better than it, so...yes? But, it kind of all depends on personal preferences doesn't it?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Jesus christ no, the current prices are absolutely disgusting & the 5700/XT is just a beta test for RDNA2. in 6 months it will probably be different however, unless Nvidia try to charge $999 for the RTX 3080, which wouldn't be a complete surprise.
If you picked up a 1080 Ti in 2017, you lucked out, but dropping 700-800 on a GPU now seems like a waste.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Yes, it's completely worth losing more and cheaper games, mods, free online, endless BC, as many input methods as you want...

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Since the new Xbox will be a fucking beast, is it even worth to build a high end PC for at least double the price of whatever the Xbox will cost?

If you care about playing multiplat games with the absolute best graphics and frame, yes. Also if you care about mods, emulation, ultrawide, choice of input methods, or PC exclusives.

is this another one of those threads where someone who knows nothing about tech thinks a 5 hundred dollar console will be as powerful as a high end pc?

Yes.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the new xbox still won't be as powerful as my PC, and even if it were it wouldn't allow me to do as many things, so yeah it's still worth it

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Mmmh... difficult question.
Paying to play online, starting my library from over, with all my games at the mercy of developpers willingfully upgrading them (maybe ?) or my 1000 games library, upgrades and forward compatibility.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Contrary to popular belief, PCs offer far more than just "lel games run gud." But I know that OP wasn't interested in that.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
If you want to play on console, get an Xbox. If you want to play on PC, get a PC. Simple. Either way, MS has you covered. Best of both worlds. Plus cross-buy/cross-play/universal cloud saves/game pass, etc.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean what justifies the price of a high end PC if you will get equal performance (at least at the beginning) with a far cheaper console?
i can play and make VR games, i have access to a broader selection of modern games, and i can emulate the comprehensive history of video gaming using any input devices i want

it's pretty cool

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Platform warring
*laughs in PC Master Race*

Yes. Of course. A high end PC will still be better than a high end console.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Yes. There's a plethora of things a PC offers that a console doesn't. Power isn't the only benefit. This is also a pretty ridiculous statement considering Ampere will be out by the time these consoles launch which will feature several cards more powerful than anything that's in the XSX. Then you have AMDs Big Navi GPUs as well.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Yeeah, yeah. Yeah it is. High end PCs will still be more powerful. We got all the BC you could need, and while these new consoles will technically support raytracing, we're about to get a second generation of cards that support it from Nvidia most likely, which I feel is going to prove to be far ahead of whatever AMD has in store. Steam deals, free online and the expansion of GamePass to PC also help. I like being able to run my games at above 30-60 FPS. The Xbox supports it, sure, but when we had an entire generation of games that loved to run at 30FPS, I really doubt we're going to see that landscape change significantly.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

Games? PC is the platform with the most content.

Hardware? The best possible.

You think the Xbox or PS5 is a beast? 12TF will probably be a mid tier GPU this year. The new high end RDNA 2 GPU is expected to be around 20TF and Nvidia will probably have even more powerful GPUs this year.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The PC can do a thousand things the Xbox won't be able to.
Even for games you can control your experience exactly to your liking.
Edit settings files, control your framerate, cheat, add mods, do reshading, reconfig your controls etc, etc.
The skys the limit.

I heard you can also do word processing as well. (never tested this)

OP
OP

Deleted member 9290

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want to get a pc just for the 60fps alone, but for over double the price? Normally I have no problem with paying for premium stuff, but that's even for me a hard pill to swallow.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Pc is not only about Xbox games. You are comparing with pc parts that are available now.

The time the new Xbox comes a new Nvidia series will be on the market. Xsx probably will be kind of the same power of a Rtx 3060($399)

If you will build the pc from 0 for sure will be more expensive (~1000) but 2-3 years later probably you will be able to buy a gpu with double power of a xsx for $399.
For me who already have a good pc ryzen 7 3700, 32gb, 4tb ssd, rtx 2060 next gen is only a new gpu. Probably a 3080. It will be 100-200 more expensive than consoles but I expect 50-60% more power on it.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Dude, I never owned a gaming PC and never will but every one of these "are PC's obsolete" topics make me roll my eyes all the time

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I want to get a pc just for the 60fps alone, but for over double the price? Normally I have no problem with paying for premium stuff, but that's even for me a hard pill to swallow.

You won't be paying double the price if all you care about is 60FPS. 60FPS can easily be ran on a wide range of hardware these days.

Going 144Hz+ is where it gets expensive, and where PC gaming pulls ahead.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Do you remember you need to pay to play online on consoles? That games are more expensive on consoles? A pc is not only a videogame machine. You can do much more. And you can upgrade middle gen for less than a new console. All this to play with better visual then consoles. To play equal a build on 2nd semester will last the whole gen.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
By the time the XSX is out, it will be well-behind what NVIDIA's high-end consumer cards are doing

So yes, obviously

Status
Not open for further replies.