• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017

Since her infamous public breakdowns more than a decade ago, the pop singer Britney Spears has lived in California under a court-approved conservatorship, a complex legal arrangement meant to oversee her personal well-being and finances.

Steered largely by the singer's father, James Spears, the conservatorship has functioned mostly out of public view,

Still, the singer herself has rarely commented on the arrangement, and has made little effort through her court-appointed lawyer to alter the structure of the conservatorship. That changed this week when the lawyer Samuel D. Ingham III submitted a filing Monday in which he said Spears now believes the conservatorship "must be changed substantially in order to reflect the major changes in her current lifestyle and her stated wishes." (The filing was first reported by The Blast.)

Among those shifts, according to Ingham, was Spears's "desire not to perform at this time,"

James Spears stepped back from his role as Spears's personal conservator — a role he held since 2008, in which he oversaw her mental health care, among other things — and was replaced on a temporary basis by Jodi Montgomery, a licensed professional conservator.

Now, Spears has decided she is "strongly opposed" to having her father return as conservator of her person or her estate, according to Ingham's filing, while also leaving open the possibility that she could seek to end the conservatorship entirely. "Without in any way waiving her right to seek termination of this conservatorship in the future," the lawyer wrote, "Britney would like Ms. Montgomery's appointment as conservator of her person to be made permanent."

As for her financial affairs, or her estate, which James Spears has also managed since 2008, sometimes in tandem with another lawyer, "she strongly prefers to have a qualified corporate fiduciary appointed to serve in this role."

Ingham added that he expected "any effort to achieve my client's objectives as stated above will be aggressively contested by James," and that Spears hoped to hire a law firm with "substantial expertise in handling contested litigation in a highly complex case such as this one."

A status hearing in the case is scheduled for Wednesday in Los Angeles.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the whole "Free Britney" movement around her having no one controlling her life/assets except herself? I'm glad she is getting her father out of any kind of control, but I feel bad she is still having people lord over her. Though, if this is what she wants then I fully support it. She probably didn't have a lot of life skills taught to her growing up so I could see if she was doing this because it really is all she knows.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly feel sorry for her.
I was reading not long ago the kind of conservatorship in place here is for people who literally can't take care of themselves like.. at all and that's clearly not the case here.
I'm sure she's not that sick to not be able to handle her own money at least.
Her dad sounds like a complete asshole tbqh.
I really hope she can fight this and get her freedom back.

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
She has a court appointed lawyer. Damn. She can't even touch her own money.

damn, and her father will use her money to hire some top tier lawyers? If so then this is DOA.

You know, it makes me wonder if no one of her old days is helping her out here. I mean it's not like celebrities like Justin Timberlake haven't benefited from being around her. Is there no way for them to chip in so she can get at least something a little more high profile? If I had the money and a former friend/lover/coworker of mine would be in a horrible situation like this I'd try to help her.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Consevatorships have a lot of problems in general. Cant speak to Britney Spears', but there is an episode of Dirty Money looking at these and there are a lot of shitty people taking these out on others they hardly know, or dont know at all, and fucking them out of all sorts of money.

Hope she gets hers straightened out and is good.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
It seems baffling to me that someone could have an arrangement like this foisted on them against their wishes but still have custody of their children.

Status
Not open for further replies.