• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot of well-founded worry over more and more corporations buying up smaller ones, but what positive certain or potential outcomes are you excited about? What will/could be considered improvements moving forward?

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I honestly don't see anything positive about it. If there are positives, the negatives far outweight them for it to matter

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
More creative freedom for teams now that they're financially backed.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
- Cultural changes at ABK
- Security for studios like Arkane
- Release of the Activision studios from the CoD mines
- Significant hiring up on QA at Zenimax has occured
- Transmedia potential (especially at Sony)
- Game Pass releases

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
unless you take the most shortsighted view possibly, there are no positives

a few more games on subscription service x is not worth loss of jobs and loss of product diversity that follows consolidation

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
The only good thing that could happen is dead ips being mined for content in the coming game sub wars.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a few positives:
  • More games on services like Game Pass
  • New indie studios being formed as developers leave larger companies after being acquired
  • More funding = more innovation/greater scale in games
  • Greater seat at the table for gaming within broader entertainment category

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I actually kinda think we might be on the road towards Sony and Microsoft playing nice together, with more robust crossplay, shared friends lists, dual entitlement for purchases and more.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I always buy every system so exclusives don't really matter to me whatever platform they're on but having a shitload of new games coming to me for free on a sub that I already pay for is a total winner.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In the far future? i don't see any positives. Once Microsoft and Sony own majority of the studios they will be able to charge however much they want for their subscriptions; control the market hand in hand.

in the near future; with how cheap gamepass and inevitably spartacus will be; I quess the positive is we will get cheap games.

I don't think people realize how much 70b is; MS might have deep pockets but they will expect to get a return on that investment; and you aren't doing that by charging 1$ a month for a subscription service.

I actually kinda think we might be on the road towards Sony and Microsoft playing nice together, with more robust crossplay, shared friends lists, dual entitlement for purchases and more.

now this; this would be kool to see.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I think consolidations are the first sign of the industry decadence. For consumers at first theres might be some positives outcomes, long term theres nothing good to look forward

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
It hopefully leads to security for smaller to mid-size devs. If they don't have to constantly worry about financials and going out of business, they can re-direct their energy towards actually making games.

I think Tim Schafer spoke about this when Microsoft bought Double Fine.

MickeyKnox

Oct 28, 2017
Why are we looking for positives in this? Mega corps don't need people doing free PR for their bullshit.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Obsidian now has the resources to make a AAA sandbox RPG.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Yup that's where I'm at. I think we might also have a resurgence of AA feeling games now that smaller studios can be rolled off of tasks like "support the monstrosity that is Warzone" and instead be given smaller scale, more creative projects.

Jul 22, 2020
Hopefully seeing some of the folded in studios at ABK return to doing other things, like Toys for Bob doing Banjo Kazooie something.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Absolutely nothing tbh. I don't trust any big corporation.

Big budget games need big returns, so it means no risk unless it's a smaller game. There's a reason some genres and themes are basically exclusive to indies these days.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, Xbox might finally be able to pull up head to head with PlayStation in mindshare

This. I'm REALLY hoping it keeps Sony (and Nintendo) on their toes and looking to compete rather than one company just dominating and doing whatever they want.

The other thing I'm looking forward to is studios having the backing /ability to make games without worrying so much about budgets. Obsidian for example has struggled with finances and that has come out in the scope of their games. If they don't have tk worry so much about that it'd be nice to see what they come up with.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I get substantial pay bonuses when I get to work on acquisitions like the ones Era talks about, so that'll be fun.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
I ain't worried about anything. it's all positive news to me. well, mostly. it's not good if the wrong company buys a studio/publisher

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
As a consumer, more games on game pass and higher production values as tech and processes are shared. Sony's seemingly got the best game production pipeline in the industry.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
More gamepass games I can enjoy. Maybe more crossover games in the future too?

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Personally I hope for more diversity in game sizes, scopes and creativity with less worry on funding and more incentive to experiment and delivery via subscriptions. It's all rose tinted glasses, but if we are being optimist, the opposite would have to be proven, yet, that I know of. At least not in the hands of the big players, not talking about EA and their acquisitions in the past.

Realistically, who the hell knows. I think they will go for whatever seems biggest at the moment, and I tend to dislike those things. But sometimes good things come out of unexpected places as long as there is variety.

As an example, if Housemarque stopped developing a battle royale or online multiplayer thing and instead did Returnal because of that funding cushion, then it looks good for now.

It hopefully leads to security for smaller to mid-size devs. If they don't have to constantly worry about financials and going out of business, they can re-direct their energy towards actually making games.

I want to believe in this. I'd be curious to know if Tim actually sees it better for Double Fine nowadays after the dust has settled.

Want to believe in working conditions getting better at ABK too, we'll see.

I don't think people realize how much 70b is; MS might have deep pockets but they will expect to get a return on that investment; and you aren't doing that by charging 1$ a month for a subscription service.

Except they charge a standard of 15$ already.

Dec 15, 2017
Ha. Maybe justifying owning all of the consoles?

It's something I have never been able to resist and there's a side to exclusives that actually makes you feel like there's a point to owning them all.

What would be the point of owning an Xbox and a PS5 if all the same games were on both? Absolutely squat for me.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020

This is one. It's a shame I won't be able to play their games until I get new PC, but Obsidian is at least fairly safe under Microsoft to keep making games.

Jan 18, 2018
I have all the systems so it really doesnt change much for me cept for maybe some gamepass shit. I have no type of brand loyalty.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Frankly, consolidation tends to be a dead end in the gaming world. The examples of a major publisher scooping up a highly regarded dev, and then that dev performing exactly to their original strengths under the new ownership are crazy rare.

Mostly they disappear down some hole to never be heard from again, dissolved, or enlisted as support studios for the moneymaker IPs.

Ok, but the OP said positive: so what I look forward to is the output of those who break off or emerge once this consolidation settles. That's where I think the big interesting ideas are going to come form. In a way, consolidation can "reset the board" and allow new groups and ideas to get attention they wouldn't have otherwise.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
Well, in the case of AB, I really hope all the bad apples are weeded out and it becomes a better place to work.

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
unless you take the most shortsighted view possibly, there are no positives

a few more games on subscription service x is not worth loss of jobs and loss of product diversity that follows consolidation

If anything product diversity is getting better not worse.

There's now a better scope for the more creative middle tier games as there's no expectation on them to reach artibrary sales numbers.

Personally I hope the smaller 'lost' developers start to find some kind of resurgence. Treasure. G.Rev, Taito with Hudson and Konami's back catalogues etc

It's also great to see creative outlets like Double Fine having security and investment going forward.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
More games released, revived IP's, better budgets, working conditions and culture, extra support to streamline releases without having to develop for another console etc.

Also more publishers rising from the ashes.

I hope someone buys Vaniallaware and Level-5.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
More games on Gamepass the merrier for me as someone who loves the service and doesn't collect or replay games. Also just more first party games the better to some extent as those tend to be the most consistently polished experiences. The platform holders need cream of the crop, polished games to sell their hardware and services and tend to be more ok with delaying things to have them get high metacritic scores and good word of mouth to do just that. Vs. third parties that seem more apt to release unfinished games to get their investors immediate returns and then fix the game in the months after.

Also hope the services drive more unique content, more AA budget games etc. due to their need to pump out a steady stream of content with a lot of variety to keep people subbed. People worry about it driving GAAS, but I don't think there will be big changes there. Those games make more sense being F2P on as many platforms as possible, or people just buying games/expansions like Destiny vs. paying for a Gamepass type service and then also pumping money into service games. Service/monetized games are of course on services and will keep appearing and doing fine, I just don't see services furthering the % of games that are service games.

I think it's more much likely to help more smaller, mid budget single player games come out. A steady stream of content will keep people subscribing. For people who just want to put most of their time in one or two service games, a monthly sub (other than an MMORPG montly sub of course) doesn't make financial sense as it's cheaper to stick with F2P or just buy that game or two and its expansions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.