• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think is better?

• E3 conference-like announcements

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • Nintendo Direct-like announcements

Votes: 77 52.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Now that E3 has been cancelled this year, I hope everyone tries what Nintendo has been mastered for years: Online announcements.

Nintendo Directs are so good because it allows them to talk in more detail about the game/console/product they are showing. Nintendo does a great job explaining game mechanics, showing gameplay, telling consumers which content will be available etc. The success of those Direct videos is due to exactly that.

Sony started doing State of Play, but they need to improve the way they communicate about the games, and not just announce them. I've been saying for many years that everyone should copy Nintendo. They can do their own style, but the way they inform and communicate should be done by all developers.

Nothing beats having the developer talking about their own game without having to hurry for the event, without being nervous about being around thousands of people, without the fear that the demo will work or not. Being in a controlled space, with a script and choose what the developer wants, it's a great way for people to get to know their games. (Well, without the dramatization that Microsoft gave to the Xbox One X and Xbox One Series X announcements. That is something Apple do, and I hate it). It should be informative and realistic, like, again, Nintendo.

So this year, it's the chance that Sony, Microsoft, WB, Square Enix, Capcom, etc. might be forced to do an online video, and I hope that *Company* Directs replace E3.

Also, forcing Sony and Microsoft to do an online video to announce/show their console is going to be better for us. After all, 90% of us don't attend E3 and don't live through the hype in person. It worked perfectly for Nintendo revealing the Switch, and it will be the same for both of them. They can do a very private thing to let the Media get a hands on the new consoles and games in a controlled space without worrying about the coronavirus.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
i like directs an awful lot. i dont particularly care if they do the presentations or just put together a direct style video. in the end its me either watching a stream of it or refreshing a message board to see the news.

biggest loss is the lack of giant bomb's e3 tbh.

also this is what will kill e3. putting together a pre-recorded video is cheaper, has less room for mistakes, and easier in general. i cant see companies back.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I like an entire day of announcements for first party and third party games strung together via a conference, which doesn't need to be in-person. But it's not that big of a deal to me.

VR conferences are the future.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who attends such events, having the chance to try games, talk to devs, get exclusive merch and whatnot is a fun experience. Of course sitting on the couch at home it makes little difference, in fact an online-tailored experience with no limitations due to the live stage is probably better. But the gaming world would be a worse experience without events like E3 and GamesCom.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like Nintendo Directs. And they generate the same levels of hype than actual conferences.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I still 'member when the vast majority that weren't Nintendo fans hated the Direct format.

Deleted member 10193

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
E3 is more than just press conferences. It is meetings, pitches, discussions, lunches, back room deals. It's going to hurt a lot of people, indie games that might never come to fruition, games that could be launch games for next gen not being launch games.

I wouldn't be so quick to wish E3 away.

Sonys State of Play videos are rubbish compared to the live stage presentations.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Prefer the directs really. Too many of the on stage personalities just come across as smug pricks to me.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There has never been an "online" announcement as incredible as God of War E3 2016 orchestra announcement

So I disagree

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I dont follow nintendo, but directs always seemed like a million people spazzing out about the tiniest snippets of new info imaginable. Ughh.

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not. Live style conferences add something more then just a 'slideshow' of announcements. Directs and State of Plays are terrible in comparison.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember any Nintendo Direct at all, the Smash Bros Ultimate trailer is about the only thing I recall in recent years.

E3 was great, having all the information at once was great, it was our Christmas, it was joyous.

People saying they now hated it or they are glad it's gone are straight up lying.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. Directs are fine, but they don't exactly capture the excitement that a live event does. It's like the difference between watching a horror movie by yourself and watching it with a crowd. It works, but it's not the same energy/vibe/experience.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think there is value in having conventions, and having physical spaces where people can talk, meet, pitch ideas in person (virus outbreaks permitting of course).

That said, E3 and mostly the ESA have worn out their usefulness and become overblown beasts. I'm pretty sure we can have large events like this without doxxing most of the industry. I've also heard navigating downtown LA described as "a fucking nightmare."

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy conferences for what they are, but it doesn't really matter whether it's a live person on stage introducing the trailer/footage I'm about to watch or something pre-recorded. It all leads to same thing.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Online for sure

I don't care about people getting on stage boasting about their game

Just show me a trailer and give me a release date and platform.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Everyone should just do Wired articles. No need for trailers as most people are capable of reading. Also, please cancel all events (like PAX, GDC, Gamescom, The Game Awards) since I don't go to them. Just make them all digital /s

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Where am I supposed to get my cringe compilations if they switch to currated, pre-recorded videos?

Assuming the information is ultimately the same, I'd much prefer watching a potentially disastrous live presentation.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind either way, but I've always loved a 2-3 day span of multiple companies talking about what their plan is for the next year or two. E3 score cards are fun in a cheesy kind of way.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who only watches from home, the crowds at E3 (cheering, etc.) are infinitely more exciting to me than a staged, pre-recorded video. But I also get that the latter costs much less to produce, and it can still be fun to watch, so it's fine. Just not as good to me.

Watching the Direct-style stream through a group like Easy Allies or Kinda Funny alleviates it a bit, at least, since you still get live reactions from other people as you watch.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
I don't remember any Nintendo Direct at all, the Smash Bros Ultimate trailer is about the only thing I recall in recent years.

E3 was great, having all the information at once was great, it was our Christmas, it was joyous.

People saying they now hated it or they are glad it's gone are straight up lying.
It seems to be coming from a group of people with a very specific platform allegiance; they are straight up salting the earth when it comes to E3 these days.
Yes, the ESA is at best mismanaging and at worst maliciously operating. Yes, E3 can put a lot of strain on publishers/developers.
But these are some of the very same folks would argue to hell and back about who "won" E3 and lusted after leaks for possible "megaton" announcements.
There's been a lot of hypocrisy and sadism present in E3 discussions lately.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Live stage presentations sometimes go wrong and/or are awkward and that shit gives me life

Direct style presentations certainly are more effective at conveying information though

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I mean for the average gamer/Era member, E3 is an technically online event anyway. The people this really effects in any meaningful are press and actual industry professionals.

For the most part anyway.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I prefer Direct-style presentations, to be honest. The only downside is there aren't crowd reactions in recorded stuff, but other than that it can be exactly the same.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
You can never get a Keanu moment if its done online

Oct 27, 2017
It took a long time for Nintendo to get down their Direct format. It might be rough for other devs/publishers their first time around who have just been used to trailer announcements

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
direct styled videos are x100 better than the bloated, boring, shitty paced live stage shows that are done by other companies. I'm all for the death of E3 Press Conferences, let's embrace a better, simpler format. Fuck the 'hype' from the crowds and the 'big moments'. Directs have shown they can do the same, if not better.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
They're different things that can co-exist. Big events have their value as they put everyone in the mindset of being excited about things, which a video on YouTube isn't capable of on the same level.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
They are not really the same. With online announcements the message is more tailored and void of any real impressions. With e3 you have people at the show floor trying out games. Even if you don't attend yourself, you can still hear honest non-biased impressions about how those games played from others.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Nintendo Directs don't have any soul or hype to them, but that could be just because how they do them pre-recorded and super stoic with lack of all emotion.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Woo boys and woo girls have ruined the traditional conference format. I'd take Direct style for now on if it means I don't have to hear the fandom screams ever again.

the screams...

Status
Not open for further replies.