• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Saw this post on Twitter and thought it was worth mentioning here on ERA. You can see the blatant rip off in the tweet below but I also thought it was worth showing off both videos just so people can watch the full video piece from 2015 and compare it themselves. Of course, not the full thing is a rip off but it's pretty blatant that a section is in the tweet.

Xbox Series X Trailer (2019):

Xavier Cassaing's Dry Lights Video (2015):

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ehh, maybe the first shot, but the rest is just having a wipe effect over a landscape. Not exactly super original in the first place imo.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Two different things still imo. I can kind of see the comparassions, but a light moving across the ground as a means to show a transition in graphics fidelity seems different from what that 2015 video is showing. Not to mention it's not an original idea in itself.

Seems like in the 2015 video the lights are there to highlight different parts of the evnironment, and later changes from a sweeping line to pointing out indiviual plants and the like where as the Xbox video is a constant sweeping change and is used to indicate where the change or jump in fidelity is happening.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Without passing judgement, the Xbox video is edited as far as the order of the video. It is not sequentially the same.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
Pretty big stretch. If you go watch the vimeo they link most of it is random light effects on scenery. It is only a short bit that has a light wave passing over everything and Microsoft is consistent with that throughout their video.

Mega1X

The Fallen
Jun 4, 2018
Umm, sorry but its not a rip off. At some points its similiar, but if everyone takes mountains and lights going over it as a form of blatant ripoff then the courts will be filled with people suing each other.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ehhhh I dunno, I don't think you can claim ownership on the idea of a light sprawling through nature.

Definitely seems like they at least watched the first vid.

NavNucST3

Nov 13, 2017
Watching the full Dry Lights video I would say they are vastly different. Watching the Slack video and that's blatant at first glance.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I feel like all these big companies should take their marketing stuff more in house and actually invest in it and oversee what's happening properly.

By contracting this stuff out to people who frankly don't give a shit you're risking this kind of thing happening too much.

Nov 11, 2017
This is a pretty big damn reach, but similarities will always happen when you outsource ideas

The slack one is a Rip off though but that's Microsoft not xbox division

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Ah shit guess this means i cant upload my video about light sprawling through nature.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Watched the video; a similar concept does not mean it is a "rip off." Like dang, lighting up dark landscapes has a pretty broad scope of uses.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
How long until MGM claim that Microsoft copied some parts of the Xbox Series X trailer from 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was about the other video but yeah, that's similar lol.

I don't think it matters much.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we talk about how bad MC's run animation is in this trailer? Guys plz.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Art is eclectic. Even subconsciously. Many times I have made something or come up with an idea for some art or a game design only to see it days or weeks later. Also, at the studio I work at, we are always looking at art and trends in the industry to stay relevant. Advertising is constantly evolving and drawing inspiration from the art of the world.

There is a difference in aping something or drawing inspiration from something and straight up copying. Looking at Dry Lights and the Xbox SX reveal trailer one after the other shows me that if anything at all, the studio that did the reveal trailer may have taken some inspiration from it. Most of the effects and techniques in that film were also probably drawing inspiration from somewhere. It's all kind of a slippery slope, especially when the internet is in play.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Well even if it's just certain snippets, this is not only copying the basic concept.

The composition of these shots are near identical.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for further threads when someone gets down the the real rip off: "Microsoft used sound and visuals, just like all previous other videos. Shameless."

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
This is like the opposite end of the spectrum from when corporations try to copyright the concept of a rounded corner on a phone or the word "the". Some things are just commonly used imagery like a wave of light or energy passing over a landscape.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
it looks like a shot for shot remake even if it is not in the same order. The same camera angles and stuff. It's too similar to be a concindence.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
yeah it's pretty similar. i don't think it's quite a "rip off" but they were certainly inspired by that dry lights vid in the very least

also i swear i see the same 5 posters damage controlling every xbox thread no matter what. y'all need to lay off the kool aid.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Some of these instances feel pretty bad, but this one seems like inspiration at best. Nothing is "ripped off" in the same way that Sony trailer was. The team here may have taken inspiration from the imagery, but the execution is clearly different. At some point, this has literally always happened with art, this is what every artist does to a degree.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's closer than the last comparison but it's not really an original idea. I could see it being a coincidence or just inspired but with a different execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.