• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
These must alll be related:

1. Nintendo data breach
2. Leaked Rumours about Mario Collection happening this year.
3. Old Mario games appearing in the wild on PC and Ipad.

Do you agree and how do you think it all connects? Will it impact on Nintendo's decisions about whether, when and what they will release in the Mario collection? Should it affect peoples choices about whether to partake of homebrewed Mario 64 and Sunshine?

Jump and shout woohoo, wahaa if this is a homebrewed version of an existing thread.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
You have absolutely no clue what your talking about here dude.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
1. Enabled the PC port and has nothing to do with 2.
2. Yep, looking forward to them.
3. One is due to the breach, the other is due to the fact iPads can now run Dolphin well.

Edit: I am almost as incorrect as the OP.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Enabled the PC port and has nothing to do with 2.
2. Yep, looking forward to them.
3. One is due to the breach, the other is due to the fact iPads can now run Dolphin well.

The data breach didn't enable the pc port. The pc port is the result of fans reverse engineering the code for a year. The data breach had almost nothing of value in it.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
None of these things have anything to do with each other if you just do a little research lol.

Oct 27, 2017
They are unrelated.

Mario 64 PC port was the result of the recompilation of Mario 64 code, which started more than a year ago. The "iPad version" of Mario Sunshine is just the game running on Dolphin. Again, the result of enthusiasm work behind the scenes. The data breach has nothing to do with it.

The rumors about Mario Collection are journalists hearing things from their sources.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
The PC stuff was in the works before the remastered collection stuff was even rumored. It was a thing after people essentially figured out everything about the original ROM.

The Mario IP isn't even at major risk from stuff like that. Nintendo will still probably sell 1 million copies of Mario 64 again if it was a digital download.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The PC port of Mario 64 had nothing do do with the breach, it was in the works since the code from the ROM was decompiled
The data breach didn't enable the pc port. The pc port is the result of fans reverse engineering the code for a year. The data breach had almost nothing of value in it.

Aah, my bad. Forgot about this having initially read misinformation that it was due to the breach.

Nov 18, 2017
Maaan I am sick of people trying to link the PC port of Mario 64 & the data breach. They have nothing to do with each other at all, the game press are super fucking guilty of trying to create a link there when there just isn't one and how dangerous that is for the person who put in the hard work of making that port.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I love the implication that either Nintendo had an iPad port in their files or that people can code/port it in a day

OP
OP
Maverick14

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
Well that's me told...clearly i should have researched a bit more. Still it is a striking coincidence and one i would have enjoyed discussing ....mods feel free to delete thread.

I still think the question about how all of it might impact on Nintendo's decisions is an interesting one but internet being internet people have just honed in on what they disagree with/dislike...

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well that's me told...clearly i should have researched a bit more. Still it is a striking coincidence and one i would have enjoyed discussing ....mods feel free to delete thread.

I still think the question about how all of it might impact on Nintendo's decisions is an interesting one but internet being internet people have just honed in on what they disagree with/dislike...
Why would it have any impact on NIntendo's decisions?

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
gi8t0Sf.gif

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
My assumption has been that the files made it to the web due to Nintendo's current struggles of moving work home instead of their offices.

If Nintendo wanted you to keep Mario on your mind for the impending announcement of the remasters, they'd do it with advertising something you could, oh I don't know, buy, I guess.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
this is how big misinformation spreads. now just wait until some "journalist" reads the topic and makes some bogus article for some clickbait.

delete this topic.

OP
OP
Maverick14

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
Why would it have any impact on NIntendo's decisions?
Well....it will resource clamping down on what it can which could be resources otherwise used for making games. It may want to fast track release or add more bells and whistles if it feels a delay or lack of differentiation might grow the emulation userbase and affect its profits, There will also be the opportunity to compare the technical quality between its remasters and the emulated ones which might affect its decisions about final build quality.

Why would a freely shared clone of your product affect your business decisions? I wonder whether record companies asked themselves this when mp3s took off...would explain why they got so badly screwed over.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Even here, people have been emulating Nintendo games - legally or otherwise - for a very, very long time. We can have this discussion if you want, but what it's ultimately going to boil down to is that Mario 64 running natively on Windows instead of emulated and porting Dolphin to certain versions of the iPad Pro OS isn't going to make a dent in Nintendo's plans. The PC port doesn't change anything in terms of accessibility, and installing Dolphin on an iPad Pro is very niche in audience.

The timing is mildly interesting, sure, but if you scratch beyond the surface of that there's nothing there.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

People didn't just "hone in on what they disagree with." You posted a laughable, Qanon-esque conspiracy-by-coincidence. There is no reason to believe Nintendo's plans to release a Mario collection, as they've done multiple times before, have anything to do with the data breach.

One of this forum's guidelines for making a thread is to show some effort. If you really think it is a "striking coincidence" that your three points all happened at various points in the past, you should actually explain why, instead of just announcing "these must all be related!" and leaving it at that. And if you can't think of any reasons why Mario ROMs on iPad have anything to do with a Nintendo deciding to release a Mario retrospective collection, maybe that's a clue that the topic is not a fruitful avenue of discussion.

Don't make a thread devoid of substance and then act like everyone is just being mean old internet people when they point that out.

OP
OP
Maverick14

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
Even here, people have been emulating Nintendo games - legally or otherwise - for a very, very long time. We can have this discussion if you want, but what it's ultimately going to boil down to is that Mario 64 running natively on Windows instead of emulated and porting Dolphin to certain versions of the iPad Pro OS isn't going to make a dent in Nintendo's plans. The PC port doesn't change anything in terms of accessibility, and installing Dolphin on an iPad Pro is very niche in audience.

The timing is mildly interesting, sure, but if you scratch beyond the surface of that there's nothing there.
People didn't just "hone in on what they disagree with." You posted a laughable, Qanon-esque conspiracy-by-coincidence. There is no reason to believe Nintendo's plans to release a Mario collection, as they've done multiple times before, have anything to do with the data breach.

One of this forum's guidelines for making a thread is to show some effort. If you really think it is a "striking coincidence" that your three points all happened, you should actually explain why, instead of just announcing "these must all be related!" and leaving it at that. And if you can't think of any reasons why Mario ROMs on iPad (which aren't new, btw) have anything to do with a Nintendo deciding to release a Mario retrospective collection, maybe that's a clue that the topic is not a fruitful avenue of discussion.

Don't make a thread devoid of substance and then act like everyone is just being mean old internet people when they point that out.

The issue with video game emulation is the same as with the digitalisation of other entertainment media: it either happens in a legally controlled manner that preserves property rights which are what xbx live, steam or stadia are pursuing or you create norms that it is ok to enjoy this property for free. Free Music downloads started as a niche endeavour by the tech saavy but as tech progressed it became mainstream and normalised. Since Nintendo is far behind on the internet front there is a long term danger (granted, not immediate) that as tech improves its products become associated with free emulation without a strong legal alternative.

Yes jaggies i have already conceded the point that my thread could have been better formulated ....even askig mods to delete it. What else would you like me to add so that you can feel you 'won' the point..?

However in my slight defence....i did posit it as an open question in the thread title and in the OP i did invite disagreement and expanded on implications for Nintendo so while the responses are understandable based on the tabloidy way i set it all out it is great and much more productive when people also engage with a meaningful discussion....

Last edited:

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Should it affect peoples choices about whether to partake of homebrewed Mario 64 and Sunshine?
Hmm? I didn't notice this particular question, and it's the most interesting to me - purely because I can't figure out why you're asking it. The legality of doing so is determined by where you got the ROM and nothing more. Beyond that, asking whether people should play these with remasters in the works is no different than any other time a remaster is coming out.

Could I play Xenoblade in HD right now on my PC with the ROM I personally dumped? Yes, and at 60fps at that. Do I want to? No, not since the DE was announced. But that has nothing to do with supporting the developer; I just consider the DE a better package. Similarly, I'm putting off a Galaxy and 3D World replay until we see what's up with this collection. I suspect I'll end up grabbing the collection and just relaying 3D World itself on the Wii U if it's a separate purchase, but we'll see.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so tired of seeing people link the Mario 64 port to the breach. They are completely fucking unrelated.

Oct 25, 2017
Well....it will resource clamping down on what it can which could be resources otherwise used for making games. It may want to fast track release or add more bells and whistles if it feels a delay or lack of differentiation might grow the emulation userbase and affect its profits, There will also be the opportunity to compare the technical quality between its remasters and the emulated ones which might affect its decisions about final build quality.

Why would a freely shared clone of your product affect your business decisions? I wonder whether record companies asked themselves this when mp3s took off...would explain why they got so badly screwed over.
Nintendo's digital security team is separate from any developers presumably working on these remasters/remakes. One's resources are irrelevant to the other.

Also, an emulated rom or whatever would be dwarfed by an officially supported, wide release from Nintendo. Casuals and mainstream won't ever even know of emulated versions. That is an enthusiast pursuit, and even these enthusiasts are just as likely to eventually purchase an enhanced port/remaster/remake anyway.

Lastly, Nintendo or any major publisher couldn't care less about the quality of fan ports/emulation. They've got their own engineers handling that. In the event a fan can do it better, they'll just be hired anyway.

All in all, Nintendo's profits are fine, the quality of emulation doesn't matter, and their resources are near infinite to handle these things.

Res-bot

Nov 11, 2017
These must alll be related:

1. Nintendo data breach
2. Leaked Rumours about Mario Collection happening this year.
3. Old Mario games appearing in the wild on PC and Ipad.

Do you agree and how do you think it all connects? Will it impact on Nintendo's decisions about whether, when and what they will release in the Mario collection? Should it affect peoples choices about whether to partake of homebrewed Mario 64 and Sunshine?

Jump and shout woohoo, wahaa if this is a homebrewed version of an existing thread.

It's like 5G and Corona... or is it?

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
There's a public github repo for the Mario 64 project and it dates back to at least August 2019. The code also looks like it's something based on reverse engineering than a leak, so yeah, zero chance that's related to any of this.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Well....it will resource clamping down on what it can which could be resources otherwise used for making games.

I don't think Nintendo's lawyers do a lot of coding in their downtime.

Will patiently wait for OP to tell me I'm being an internet troll who just wants to watch the world burn and doesn't want to engage in meaningful dialogue etc etc.

OP
OP
Maverick14

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
Nintendo's digital security team is separate from any developers presumably working on these remasters/remakes. One's resources are irrelevant to the other.

Also, an emulated rom or whatever would be dwarfed by an officially supported, wide release from Nintendo. Casuals and mainstream won't ever even know of emulated versions. That is an enthusiast pursuit, and even these enthusiasts are just as likely to eventually purchase an enhanced port/remaster/remake anyway.

Lastly, Nintendo or any major publisher couldn't care less about the quality of fan ports/emulation. They've got their own engineers handling that. In the event a fan can do it better, they'll just be hired anyway.

All in all, Nintendo's profits are fine, the quality of emulation doesn't matter, and their resources are near infinite to handle these things.
I am sorry but quotations like "Nintendo has infinite resources" and "one team/division does not take resources away from another" do not fill me with confidence that you understand how businesses work....

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
As someone who creates mobile apps for companies I always wondered what kind of shady practice these guys do to get things like that into the Apple App Store?? It's hell just getting a legit app on there.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I am sorry but quotations like "Nintendo has infinite resources" and "one team/division does not take resources away from another" do not fill me with confidence that you understand how businesses work....

Rich coming from the guy who somehow thought that leaks of Nintendo source code and the plans for Mario Remasters were in ANY way connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.