• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 2, 2021
Wonder Woman 1984 director Patty Jenkins opens up about her frustrations with the streaming boom and calling streaming movies for looking fake.

Jenkins would return to the DCEU world with Wonder Woman 1984, which was primed to hit theaters in summer 2020 before the COVID-19 pandemic forced Warner Bros. to delay its release. The film would ultimately become the studio's first to receive a same-day theatrical and HBO Max release, which would lead to it falling short of its break-even point with only $166 million grossed worldwide and a mixed reception from critics, though it would become the most-watched straight-to-streaming title of the year. Jenkins, however, has been one of the most vocal critics of this decision, calling it "heartbreaking" and attributing its financial failure to this hybrid format, but her criticisms aren't stopping there.

As part of this year's CinemaCon (via LA Times), Jenkins participated in a panel to discuss the future of cinema, in particular the recent boom of streaming platforms supported by the global pandemic. In reflecting on original films produced by streaming platforms, Jenkins opined that the titles all didn't appear real and supported her opinion with a lack of discussion about them reaching her. See what Jenkins said below:

"Aren't you seeing it? All of the films that streaming services are putting out, I'm sorry, they look like fake movies to me. I don't hear about them, I don't read about them. It's not working as a model for establishing legendary greatness."

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
big talk for the director of the absolute steaming trash pile that was WW84

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
SbsO0A7.png

Status
Not open for further replies.