• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's an article I found reporting that gaming convention PAX West has started controversy by suddenly canceling Colin Moriarty's panel and is refusing to refund attendees who purchased tickets to see Colin:

With only a month until PAX West, the company abruptly canceled Colin Moriarty's 'Sacred Symbols' panel that had been given the green light previously.

Initially the company had not answered to inquiries made by the ex-IGN staffer as to why his panel was canceled, but it finally responded on July 31.

In a July 31 tweet, Moriarty shared a screenshot of the convention's response email alongside his disappointment with its contents: "PAX's response. TLDR: 1.) Reiterated the panel's cancellation, but gave no reason for it. 2.) No refunds for PAX attendees. 3.) They will refund our airfare expenses in exchange for the free passes they offered. (This last one's weird. Why would I go where I'm not wanted?!)"

Unfortunately for attendees, its response didn't provide much answer as to why the panel was rescinded and only offered to refund Moriarty and co-host Chris 'Ray Gun' Maldonado's flights: "We would be happy to discuss reimbursing you and Chris for for your flights for the inconvenience."

"Attendees are always welcome to contact our customer service line if they have questions regarding the show, but please be advised we do not issue refunds."

In an emotional podcast uploaded on July 31 to his Patreon account, Moriarty said that he was more upset that his fans were not given a way to get a refund for their PAX passes, rather than the fact they pulled his panel.

"I'm not going to fight for our right to do a panel. But I am gonna fight for the right to respect my audience. And I'm sick of my audience being disrespected. I'll tell you that much," he stated.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
saw this as it happened. kind of scummy tbh.

Colin seems to be refunding some people out of his own pocket tho which is very nice of him for those kinda stuck with tickets they no longer really want.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Why would anyone get a refund? The ticket terms and conditions explicitly state no refunds will be given, and the panel lineup is subject to change.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Why would anyone get a refund? The ticket terms and conditions explicitly state no refunds will be given, and the panel lineup is subject to change.
Because it is kind of a shitty thing to do if you are the one cancelling the panel without giving a reason. The lineup thing is more to cover for unexpected absences from guests, like they are sick.

dabbling

Dec 3, 2018
Are there tickets for specific panels, or do people buy passes to attend the show as a whole for a day?

If the ticket is for a specific panel, they should probably refund, regardless of my feelings about this dude and his fans.

If it's the latter, I can understand why PAX wouldn't refund anyone. The ticket is for PAX, not one panel. If my favourite band pulls out of a music festival, I don't get my whole ticket refunded.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Why'd they cancel? He's no more of a shitlord than he was when they okayed his panel, I'm assuming.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Are there tickets for specific panels, or do people buy passes to attend the show as a whole for a day?

If the ticket is for a specific panel, they should probably refund, regardless of my feelings about this dude and his fans.

If it's the latter, I can understand why PAX wouldn't refund anyone. The ticket is for PAX, not one panel. If my favourite band pulls out of a music festival, I don't get my whole ticket refunded.

Same question here.
If the ticket was only for that panel, then cancelling it and not refunding is scummy af.

Now if it's the ticket for the whole event... Yeah, I can see them being within their right to refuse a refund.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Because it is kind of a shitty thing to do if you are the one cancelling the panel without reason.
I agree they should explain their reasoning.

I suspect given historical issues PAX have had with inclusivity (the dickwolves saga etc), it's that they don't want someone like Colin who would make many people feel uncomfortable hosting a panel. Their big mistake was letting him on the schedule in the first place, but I'm glad they caught it.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Colin Moriarty and his "fans" can stuff it. Surprised people are still giving him a platform.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not a huge fan of Colin as I've went full left wing over the last 5 years and find him tiring. But this is a bad move by PAX. Colin neither says anything bad enough to get banned nor is denying refunds acceptable

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I suspect his transphobic statements are a bigger factor, since that ties directly back to previous pax controversies, including one that was the catalyst for G+T stepping back from the event.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Bad move. If the organisers cancel a panel, they should allow the provision for refunds for tickets from people who bought tickets to the event for the purpose of that panel. If the panelist cancelled and it is out of the control of the organisers than a refund is not to be expected. If you want to exercise moral authority to cancel a panel because you do not want that sort of people at the event, then you should also have the courage to back that up by refunding fans who specifically want to support that panel to show that they are not wanted either. That would be a meaningful message. Taking people's money and going "too bad" is scummy, period.

For anyone saying "they're allowed to in the rules they set up" sure, they are, and people are allowed to express that the rules are bad and make them look bad.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have met and very much dislike Chris Ray Gun. I dunno too much about Moriarty, but I've seen some talk.

In any case, PAX is ten million things and this panel is but one of them. I don't think a refund is warranted.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Why did the panel get cut? Did he say something recently for them to make a decision like this?

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
moriarty is a fascist

See he makes a logical point but on the flip side we have plenty of room and the so called finite resources are only stretched so thin because of the greed of a few so while logical it is flawed we can make room for several thousand and still be just fine. And if we wanna play world police we need to help when it's inconvenient as well as convenient.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Your right, i havent been. Did they pay to go see him specifically or just for the event itself?
There are many hooks for pax. There are a ton of game demos, even for board games, multiple panels, performances and game shows and a ton of opportunities to play tournaments in ways that aren't feasible in your local neighborhood.

I can easily imagine Colin being the main draw for a very small amount of people but Pax has always been about the whole experience (unless you are a pro gamer because you will be forced to miss a lot while climbing the ranks in such a tight schedule)

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
good that his panel was canceled, can't say i really care about those who wanted to see him getting a refund or not.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
See he makes a logical point but on the flip side we have plenty of room and the so called finite resources are only stretched so thin because of the greed of a few so while logical it is flawed we can make room for several thousand and still be just fine. And if we wanna play world police we need to help when it's inconvenient as well as convenient.

Ironically..the same "argument" was used by the el paso shooter in his manifesto. "We're too crowded, we have to thin out the herds"

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
He's not making a logical point. He's making an emotional one framed in the language of a logical one. We're not being overwhelmed, and some basic research would show this, so the entire impetus of his argument is invalid. He glosses over that because he's not trying to make a logical point, but one driven from fear and xenophobia.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Distribution of wealth would never be considered by a libertarian like him.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
aren't pax tickets sold out immediately? strange that they don't offer refunds then.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017

Do you also want to defend any of his hundreds of sexist and racist tweets too?

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
There are many hooks for pax. There are a ton of game demos, even for board games, multiple panels, performances and game shows and a ton of opportunities to play tournaments in ways that aren't feasible in your local neighborhood.

I can easily imagine Colin being the main draw for a very small amount of people but Pax has always been about the whole experience (unless you are a pro gamer because you will be forced to miss a lot while climbing the ranks in such a tight schedule)
And if it is a small amount of people, it would be appropriate to refund them. It would also indicate that if their only interest in the event is to see a person who isn't welcome to PAX, then they aren't wanted at PAX either. It would also make it consistent such that in the event where PAX organisers cancel an event (which does not involve a shitlord) that could be a major draw for some people, they know that there's a provision to refund their tickets.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Glad they cancelled. And if you paid money to see a piece of shit like that and can't get a refund then I can't really say that I feel sorry for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.