• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Feelings on backtracking in Souls if you hate Backtracking.

• I Hate backtracking and don't like souls

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I Hate backtracking but still like souls

Votes: 52 70.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Still working my way throw dark souls and a thought hit to me. This Game is literally Backtracking the game.

I personally don't mind Backtracking and Love it in areas well made for it so this is not a problem for me but how do you backtracking haters deal with souls-like?

P.S. The backtracking in TTYD was Fine I don't know why people complain about it.

The Poll is only for People who don't like backtracking if you like or are fine with backtracking don't answer poll.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
For me it depends on the game, I have to feel some sense of accomplishment to make it worth it and the souls games are good at that. Also Castlevania is good at it too where I get a new ability and think sweet now I can go back!

Sometimes depends on the road there too

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I love backtracking to be honest. A second change to look at environments and stuff often in less tense situations or not tense at all. Lends to a bit of tourism which is always welcome.

ComradeYork

Oct 27, 2017
Some games just do it better. In general I don't really like it, but the Souls series with its use of shortcuts and stuff are an exception to the rule imo.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Why does it have to be hate? Some people might dislike or just not prefer backtracking. Personally, I'm ambivalent about backtracking. It all depends on implementation. Is the backtracking there to serve a purpose of exploration, challenge, and learning the layout of the world? Or is the backtracking simply there to pad the game time? Does the backtracking include changes to previously discovered areas or utilize recently unlocked skills (e.g. Hollow Knight)?

There are way too many factors to consider to boil it down to "hate or not hate".

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Never found the backtracking in Dark souls to be particularly annoying. Once you unlock key shortcuts its very easy to cross the entire map quickly, and theres rarely any need to return to previously explored areas beyond the main firelink hub.

The backtracking in the Metroid Prime games, on the other hand...

Oct 30, 2017
With an inter connected world, you're bound to come full circle eventually.

Unless you're tracking down missed items, how much time are you really spending in the same areas you've already completed?

I co opted DS3 for a friend and once you've beaten an area you can't go back and resummon them help into your game. We had very little instances where I was unable to be summoned into his world.

Abuguet

Apr 23, 2019
I'm fine with backtracking and don't rhink Dark Souls is heavy with it. Going back to the central hub is different from backtracking. It's been a while, but I don't remember any instance where you HAVE to go back to a previously cleared area for a door or item.
Yes, areas are interconnected, yes; you go back to the central hub a few times, sure. It's not like a Metroidvania where some doors are intentionally inaccessible and you must go back later. Hence the backtracking.

Am I remembering wrong?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
To me, Souls is about exploring levels and uncovering secrets. It's pretty different from running through a level backwards in Halo 1 or DMC4.

I like games where spaces feel lived in, where you get familiar with the layouts and find new routes and ways to engage with the map. The classic Resident Evil games, Dead Rising, Dark Souls, Prey, etc. Exploring the maps from these games never really feel like backtracking to me.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
Meh, it doesn't really feel too much like backtracking in the Souls games cause of the super satisfying shortcuts you unlock along the way.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Dark Souls 1 has shortcuts and such, which sometimes you actually take to go back to a place that takes you to a new area.

After Dark Souls 1 they introduced fast travel from the get-go so you don't have to spend as much time backtracking.

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
I have never complained about backtracking and often lik it so I guess I don't full understand the complaint.

What I am getting so far from this thread is you don't consider running back through to the boss backtracking only fully completing an area and boss then going back to explore backtracking?

I was thinking of both as backtracking and I am fine with both.

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't vote as per the instructions, but I don't mind backtracking so long as something has been done to give it new meaning. Metroidvania style stuff is great for this, as you usually have some new tricks and can reach some areas you couldn't before with them. My main problem is with backtracking that just seems to be for the sake of it. I don't really want to waste time running through an environment I've already seen or fighting the same enemies again. You have to be able to provide that extra twist. I think Bloodborne manages to do this properly with the Insight system and time advancing a little bit.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Games can do backtracking well or they can do it poorly. Revisiting past areas can be a lot of fun because it lets you experience how the your character or the environment have changed. However, it can also be dull if it happens too often or feels too samey.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
I firmly believe backtracking is the wrong word for exploring an intricate non linear interconnected game world.

Status
Not open for further replies.