• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I felt this was worth its own thread.

From the IGN article on Persona Q2's release.
Persona Q2 will feature a Japanese voice track with English subtitles and UI heavily inspired by Persona 5.
https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/01/...the-west-with-release-date-collectors-edition

Now this doesn't entirely rule out a dub but it rasises my concerns. Given how character focused this series is this would honestly be enough to make me pass on this title I would otherwise get Day 1.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
It's a 3DS title released at the end of the system's lifespan and not expected to sell many copies. Given that dubbing is relatively expensive, it's only natural that Persona Q2 would not get one just like EO Nexus will not.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
They did the same thing to Strange Journey Redux last year, I am not surprised at this point since people don't care about 3DS as much. It's disappointing, but I get why they aren't doing it.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense for a late 3DS release, but it's also pretty bad when it's a fanservice game revolving around the characters people love meeting each other and interacting with each other. The English voices are 50% of the actual characters for many of the fans who prefer the English dubs, so a lot about it is lost when it's in Japanese only.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Obviously both options would be better... but Japanese voice acting is 99% of the time the best option imo.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a 3DS title released at the end of the system's lifespan and not expected to sell many copies. Given that dubbing is relatively expensive, it's only natural that Persona Q2 would not get one just like EO Nexus will not.
Normally I can understand this but Persona is a series with a heavy emphasis on its characters.

If it's not dubbed it goes from Day 1 to "eventually" for me personally.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Not surprising since Atlus's recent 3DS games haven't had dubs. I prefer Japanese voices anyway so it's fine for me.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously both options would be better... but Japanese voice acting is 99% of the time the best option imo.
No.
hqdefault.jpg

rise-kujikawa-persona-q-shadow-of-the-labyrinth-1.89.jpg

Just no.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Considering that i only ever played atlus games dubbed, this really makes the game less interesting.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a dub is just a reckless waste of money for a game that is going to be extremely niche.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the chars are the same, with the same text.
If that's how you look at it I'm obviously not going to convince you.

But the English versions of these characters are the ones I'm attached to. There the ones I like.

Plus I don't have to have my ears bleed from Japanese Teddie and Rise like I posted above.

Most times I can tolerate no dub if it's absolutely the only option. But I draw the line in a game where the entire purpose is to bring these characters together.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
As someone who loves the English cast for the Persona games, this is quite the hype-killer. I get that it's late in the 3DS's life, but still.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As stated in the previous thread:

I don't blame them for no dub at all, if it's true.

It's a 3DS only game being released in 2019 featuring a cast of like 20 characters. Considering they're mostly all pre-established characters, some with pretty big VAs, that just sounds like a huge money sink with little profit to be made.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if this game had a dub, I wouldn't have been surprised if Rise (and P3's FeMC) were recast.
And there's an 90% chance there'd still be better then Rise's Japanese voice.
It was either "localize subbed only" or "don't do it at at all". I'll take subbed over nothing.
And I'm happy for those who can overlook this and still want this game.

As someone who played Q1 on easy mostly for the Story and Characters(which I liked) I'm not one of them.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I was already on the fence about buying it due to how it handles certain stuff but this just made the decision a whole lot easier.

I get why they did it, but I have no interest in a game revolving around character interactions with no dub.

Oct 25, 2017
The game has a lot of unsubbed battle chatter that Atlus USA aren't going to sub. Not having an English dub means missing out on a lot there.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's actually great in the Persona games and something I will miss here. Also Persona games didn't feature japanese voices until Persona 5 as far as I remember. That's might be a problem here, because people are already used to at least the voices of Persona 3+4 characters.

Opa-Opa

Banned
Oct 16, 2018

I like things in the original and although there are obviously some miscasting in Japanese VA, I believe they put more weight to their dubs.

Like anime... since dragon ball z was over, I've never watched a dubbed anime again. Same as movies... since I was a teenager. (Brazil here... and that goes for any language, subtitles are always my choice.)

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Non native English speaker here. I glad the horrible english voices are gone. I would rather have spanish, but Japanese is better than English dub. I was not a fan of P3P nor P4G dubs.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The game has a lot of unsubbed battle chatter that Atlus USA aren't going to sub. Not having an English dub means missing out on a lot there.
That's true. Like Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, there are flourishes during the battles with more fanservice and dialogue that won't be subbed at all.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like things in the original and although there are obviously some miscasting in Japanese VA, I believe they put more weight to their dubs.

Like anime... since dragon ball z was over, I've never watched a dubbed anime again. Same as movies... since I was a teenager. (Brazil here)
That's good for you. Honestly that's fine.

But for me 90% of the time I prefer dubs unless there's simply no other option available to me.

Helping the matter is that Persona's dubs are fantastic.

Plus like Crimson said above there's in battle dialogue that I just straight out will no longer understand losing a lot of that personnel touch.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still there day one, but I won't lie: I'm disappointed.

I suppose this comes with the territory when releasing a 3DS game in 2019.

Oct 27, 2017

Like anime... since dragon ball z was over, I've never watched a dubbed anime again. Same as movies... since I was a teenager. (Brazil here... and that goes for any language, subtitles are always my choice.)
You and are quite the opposite. I'm dub only for anime. Tried watching JoJo subbed twice and lost interest both times. When I watched it dubbed, I fell in love with it and binged it until I ran out of English episodes.

hank_tree

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's a bummer but not a big surprise. Better than not getting it at all.

Jul 24, 2018
Normally I can understand this but Persona is a series with a heavy emphasis on its characters.

If it's not dubbed it goes from Day 1 to "eventually" for me personally.
I think what you meant to say is that Persona generally has excellent dubs that sometimes excels the Japanese version. In case of Persona 5, I feel the Japanese is the strongest and given they are the leads it doesn't hurt me as much. I am let down by the P3 and P4 cast not getting dubbed though :/

Wanted to hear more Tara Platt as Mitsuru.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
While I understand the reasons for not having a dub it's still a huge disappointment given how focused this series is on it's characters and the fact that this is meant to be a fan service game.
This bothered me a lot in Tokyo Mirage Sessions so this is also disappointing.

butman

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Be thankful that the game will be localized.

Status
Not open for further replies.