• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Assassin's Creed Valhalla redundant because of God of War 2018?

• Yes

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 138 92.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
This is something i have seen brought up, on the whole argument that because of God of War 2018 which tackles a Viking Setting that ultimately Assassins Creed Valhalla feels stake/relduntant because of it. I personally 100% disagree, don't get me wrong - i love God of War 2018 but it only really tackled one side of the Viking Age that being the Mythology with very little focused towards the Human Vikings - the pepole who raided and conquered. Assassins Creed Valhalla while of course will incorprate mythological aspects into it's narrative - ultimately ACV will show off the day to day like of the Vikings - how they acted,how they lived and how they interacted with each other which in my opinion is just as intresting as looking at the Mythological Side. That's just my own personal opinion and i would like to know other pepole's thoughts on this.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
god of war didnt invent mythology. or history
other games using it will keep being made

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
The whole "This setting is uninteresting because X did it first" is stupid and I don't see anyone seriously touting that outside of the zombie genre (which, in that case, was oversaturated in all kinds of media in ways that vikings/Nordic mythology haven't come close).

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Can you share some examples of people saying that?

Because while it's a dumb mentality, I haven't seen anyone actually say that.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Of course. Anyone that says that isn't worth listening to.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
God of War is redundant because it stole the whole vikings setting from CK 2

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I mean one is a popular Multiplat series that spans many platforms and other is a popular exclusive series to only one platform. No matter how good GoW is, it cannot in any way make any AC feel redundant for a lot of people because the crowd that plays both have a huge difference in size and a lot of them haven't played GoW just cause its exclusive.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen this anywhere.

God of War doesn't have vikings.

but people said Ghost of Tsushima is redundant bc of Sekiro, so...

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
It tackles Norse mythology specifically the GODS. Assassins creed has always tried to depict a time period, in a somewhat stylized realistic setting. ORIGINS/Odyssey are starting to blur the lines a little.

And maybe this viking setting may go into that so maybe there some Norse god stuff? But they are going to show something more akin setting wise to Vikings show. Your going to see how people lived in villages, warring factions, and early war with other nomads, barbarian tribes.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Op, this is like a super minority that said that, I would even say vocal as I don't see it much.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah....no. There's room for as many as developers like to make. Only a few will be good.

God of War is good for last generation. Assassin's Creed should be good, especially if it's next-generation only.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Uhm yeah... most will
also only like 2 people had this dumb take in the other thread anyway

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Are people actually saying that? Surely that applied to Odyssey as well and I don't remember anyone complaining then.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Who is actually making that claim?
Or is this the classic "I'll disagree with a point of view no one has brought up so I have an excuse to make a thread about something everyone agrees on" thread?

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Aren't AC games more grounded and realistic?

Like we ain't going to be mainly fighting monsters and gods in this game like GoW.

Then again we have people constantly comparing Sekiro to GoT so maybe I am giving people too much credit.

Oct 24, 2019
I haven't seen a single person say that.

God of War is straight up mythology, while Valhalla will be 90% historical with some mythological elements sprinkled in through Isu/Animus-fuckery

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I will ever care about vikings, so I would've vastly preferred they pick a different setting, God of War 2018 or not.

That said, after Odyssey turned out to literally just be Origins again with a slightly different setting, I don't think I could handle another modern AC game without massive overhauls to the game flow and content diversity.

Aren't AC games more grounded and realistic?

Like we ain't going to be mainly fighting monsters and gods in this game like GoW.

You fight plenty of monsters in Origins and Odyssey, especially Odyssey. The grounded stuff has been gone for over a decade.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
God of War was a linear cinematic action game akin to Uncharted. Assassin's Creed is an open world almost RPG at this point for starters. Secondly it's fucking multiplat versus exclusive. Even if it was the same genre should everyone else lose out on a game just because PS4 players got something similar?

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Personally I wanna know if the Raven is called "Boi"...

No, there's room for multiple games exploring or taking inspiration from this era/subject. In no way will both games feel redundant. They won't play or feel similar at all.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Viking type settings is one of very, very few that we dont' have saturation of in games. It's absolutely crazy that people wouldn't welcome a few more big budget games in this setting with open arms.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
We can just call those people dumb. Cause they obviously are. Should I say God of War is redundant of For Honor? Or is For Honor redundant of Viking: Battle for Asgard? The existence of two games in a similar setting isn't redundant. It's not like video games in a Viking Setting are flowing out anyway.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I have definitely seen some people, at the very least, draw comparisons suggesting Assassin's Creed is aping God of War. Can't say it's many people though.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
If Valhalla is redundant than God of War was also redundant. I mean, we've gotten a billion of viking stories by the point God of War came out. My boy Kratos doesn't have a monopoly on vikings.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
low-angle-view-scarecrow-against-cloudy-sky-562838541-5aaf18adfa6bcc00360a609c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.