• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
newsmaven.io

WATCH: Phoenix Cops Kill Man after Responding to Noise Complaint over Video Game

Ryan Whitaker was sitting at home with his girlfriend playing video games when he was killed by police.

A noise complaint from an annoyed neighbor resulted in cops shooting and killing a man within five seconds of him opening his front door.

Ryan Whitaker opened the door holding a gun in his right hand which is legal in Arizona but it made the cops fear for their lives.

However, the cops never gave him a chance to put the gun down which he appeared to be trying to do when one cop shot him in the back three times.
Police got called for a domestic abuse claim. All the man was doing was making salsa and playing Crash Bandicoot with his girlfriend. He even attended his daughters high school graduation that day.
Edit: Incident took place May 22nd.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I remember this. Cops are insane.

Another reason Id never own a gun.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
How'd they manage to shoot him in the back when he was facing them at the door?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This happened back in May but it's making the rounds again on social media. Just terrifying. Hear pounding at your door, answer while holding your legal firearm just to be gunned down by police.

Oct 28, 2017
Guns are a tool of escalation and not self-defence. Can't convince me otherwise. People see a gun and get nervous. If they have their own one, they get trigger finger itchy.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Hey we got five replies before the victim blaming started.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Guns are a tool of escalation and not self-defence. Can't convince me otherwise. People see a gun and get nervous. If they have their own one, they get trigger finger itchy.

They don't even have to see a gun. The knowledge that anyone could easily have a gun at any time causes escalation to be assumed and practically automatic. A purely hypothetical gun exists in every American's possession at any given time, and exacerbates every single tense situation we become involved in.

Dec 31, 2017
Complete incompetence by the cops. Just they have to training in de-escalation.

I gotta ask tho, is people opening the

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
Also, fuck that guy that sent the cops over. Couldn't get any sleep? Well, how's a ton of gunshots right below you and a death on your conscience?

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
WTF is wrong with you America? A noise complaint meant armed cops turn up? And it's considered normal and legal to answer the door with a gun in hand?

Get rid of the guns. ffs.

Oct 26, 2017
Hey we got five replies before the victim blaming started.
This is one where it's easy at a quick glance. I was swatted once and i checked the peephole to see who was banging at my door and nearly shit my pants to find a swat team lining my hallway with guns drawn. Would never imagine opening that door with a gun drawn or not checking the peephole. First thought, can't lie.

And then of course, that's legal to do and it was a complaint about Crash Bandicoot and he was trying to put it away and of course fuck the cops.

Oxyrain

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if he could even see them that clearly from the peephole, given where they were standing.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck was that? I am so fucking happy I don't live in America.

Edit: Okay, just saw him teaching for his gun. Pretty dumb thing to do. Still, videos like this terrify me coming from a country with very few guns.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
Police murdered a man and you blame the guy for having a gun, but okay.

Said nothing about the police murdering a man. Just glossed over it to get the anti-gun rhetoric in.

It's well known that having a gun makes you more likely to get shot and states with higher rates of gun ownership and concealed carry have a lot more shootings by cops due to paranoia. So American gun culture is one of the reasons people are more likely to get shot by cops.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
This is one where it's easy at a quick glance. I was swatted once and i checked the peephole to see who was banging at my door and nearly shit my pants to find a swat team lining my hallway with guns drawn. Would never imagine opening that door with a gun drawn or not checking the peephole. First thought, can't lie.

And then of course, that's legal to do and it was a complaint about Crash Bandicoot and he was trying to put it away and of course fuck the cops.

It really isn't "easy at a quick glance" because if anyone read the article they'd know he did check the peephole, except the cops (as can be seen from the video) spread out after knocking which rendered him unable to see them from the peephole.

Lev

Oct 29, 2017
United States
It's well known that having a gun makes you more likely to get shot and states with higher rates of gun ownership and concealed carry have a lot more shootings by cops due to paranoia. So American gun culture is one of the reasons people are more likely to get shot by cops.

Which leads me to this question: how will 2nd amendment advocates react to this story? I'll be surprised in this case if they actually blame the guy who died for his death.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
Which leads me to this question: how will 2nd amendment advocates react to this story? I'll be surprised in this case if they actually blame the guy who died for his death.

But will they protest? Or will they continue thinking "it won't be me or anybody I really really REALLY care about".

Lev

Oct 29, 2017
United States
But will they protest? Or will they continue thinking "it won't be me or anybody I really really REALLY care about".

Haha, yes the latter is my cynical viewpoint of their possible reactions to this story. In this situation though, the police's reaction is clearly overly aggressive. Simply having a weapon doesn't mean you are threatening, so rushing to support the thin blue line seems like it would be harder to do in this case.

If those people can take anything away from this sad story is that nobody is safe from police in this country.

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 month): victim blaming around police violence

Looks like there's no way I'll get it through to you that the mere presence of guns on either side creates the opportunity for death. Doesn't matter if its in the hands of a cop or a civilian.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
As long as it's legal to own guns, cops should not be able to shoot someone for merely brandishing a fire arm.

of course cops don't want to do anything about that. They advance our sick gun culture and then run around afraid that everyone they encounter is gonna shoot them.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
WTF is wrong with you America? A noise complaint meant armed cops turn up? And it's considered normal and legal to answer the door with a gun in hand?

Get rid of the guns. ffs.
I was visiting friends in Arizona and they had a gun just laying on their living room table. I was shocked to realize it was real and so out in the open.They had recently had a friend who was sitting in their couch when somebody busted down their door and shot them. So because they lived on a ground floor apartment, they kept a gun always ready. Totally fucked up all around.

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck the police. I mean they could try to identify themself when they bang on the door. But they are so fucking militarized so they spread out after banging on the door like they are at war against the people. Cunts.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Also, fuck that guy that sent the cops over. Couldn't get any sleep? Well, how's a ton of gunshots right below you and a death on your conscience?

Not to mention he straight up lied about whether it went from a verbal argument to a physical argument 'just to get the police over there faster.' Did he not know what would happen or did he not care?

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good to see that owning a gun saved his life. American police are going to most likely kill you if you have anything resembling a gun like your hand.

It's a fucked up situation all around that reminds me of a horseshoe nail...

If the world was just the caller would be up on manslaughter charges.

ps3ud0 8)

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Comments are saying the story would get more attention if the dude was black. Such a silly statement because it is the dominant culture that doesn't care about cops killing folks willy nilly. It has taken minorities just to shine a light on this mess with crazy cops.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 months): concern trolling, false equivalence around police violence
Comments are saying the story would get more attention if the dude was black. Such a silly statement because it is the dominant culture that doesn't care about cops killing folks willy nilly. It has taken minorities just to shine a light on this mess with crazy cops.

Probably true, white people get killed by cops all the time and nobody protests. Its an insane level of apathy, or, more likely class discrimination.

Oct 25, 2017

Said nothing about the police murdering a man. Just glossed over it to get the anti-gun rhetoric in.
You'd get it through to me by not stepping over this man's corpse to push your point.
This incident highlights why guns are stupid. If you have such an issue with "anti-gun rhetoric" you should find another thread to hang out in.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Probably true, white people get killed by cops all the time and nobody protests. Its an insane level of apathy, or, more likely class discrimination.
That's the thing. We should protest every instance, but the dominant culture has been brainwashed to accept the status quo.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This incident highlights why guns are stupid. If you have such an issue with "anti-gun rhetoric" you should find another thread to hang out it.

This incident highlights why police murdering people is bad.

Guns ARE stupid. They're also legal and this man was not breaking the law and was murdered.

How about showing some empathy before blaming the gun?

Oct 26, 2017
Police have got to announce their presence. He was exercising his legal right to own a gun and responding to an unannounced late night knock. Then they shot him as he is simultaneously reacting to them being police and trying to put his hands in the air. There was not enough for this individual to process what was happening. ON TOP OF ALL THAT THE COP HAS A FLASHLIGHT IN HIS FACE WHILE A COP BEHIND HIM HE DOESNT EVEN KNOW IS THERE GUNS HIM DOWN.

Another thing is cops all across the nation are gun rights advocates, they want people to own guns (so they too can have a personal collection). They helped create this culture of guns, so even if you want to blame guns still point your ire towards cops.

Oct 25, 2017
This incident highlights why police murdering people is bad.

Guns ARE stupid. They're also legal and this man was not breaking the law and was murdered.

How about showing some empathy before blaming the gun?
We dont need a hall monitor to make sure each individual person has eulogized the victim before saying what they think about guns.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Blaming the gun instead of the cops is some peak "era" victim blaming.

rip, this guy didn't need to die

ACAB

Status
Not open for further replies.