• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adum

May 30, 2019
www.youtube.com

Playstation 5 GPU - Clearing Up Overclocked GPU & RDNA Features Confusion

The Playstation 5 will launch in just about a months time from now, and there's a lot of excitement for both Sony's next generation console and Microsoft's X...

I know this video is a few days old now, but I just finished watching it and found it really informative. I didn't it anywhere on this forum yet so here you go.

This forum caters to a more well informed crowd than say, reddit or twitter - so I find it really annoying how some resetera users are rather picky in choosing which established facts to accept and which to ignore. Like many of you, I've been following nextgen news and leaks since before 2019. I was there for the PS5 HBM rumours. I was there for the Full BC for all PS generations rumours (I really did hope that one was true). Even the github leaks provided some really informative reading for a couple of months in between the more troglodytic members' posts.

So now that we have the full tech specs - now that we know the console inside and out it's a personal sore spot that some users still insist on spouting misleading facts as if it's gospel.

RedGamingTech's video abvoe is a really great insight into how the PS5 SoC works. He explains why Sony went with a variable clock frequency for both GPU and CPU, and how it's a good thing for overall performance. While Cerny himself mentioned this in passing in the original presentation, this video goes into much more detail on that stuff. To those who still insist on calling this an overclocked GPU - no. It's not. Nor is it a last minute clock boost implemented by Cerny because he got scared of the competition. The GPU, CPU and the power delivery system of the console are all designed from the ground up for this. Instead of me clumsily trying to summarise the contents of the video here, I'd urge you to watch it. The video also goes into some other interesting next gen GPU stuff.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
We've just seen a rumour from a card with 2.4GHz game clocks on the PS5 thread. If anything, the XSX is the odd one with just 1.825GHz or something like that.

RDNA2 clocks are just insane.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
INb4 XSX clock boost via patch later.

Tried watching... the dude rambles a lot. Like, just get to the point of what you are trying to say but instead, he has this habit of rambling and talking about things that aren't relevant to the topic. And he does the same in all his videos.

Last edited:

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate this thread but maybe I'm just cynical, I don't think this will help. The people saying those things were never saying them in good faith and a YouTube video explaining it to them probably won't stop them.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Whoa, maybe XSX isnt really RDNA 2...

MS dun gufed
Can we not derail this thread when it's not even halfway through the first page? Yes, FUD about XSX is really tiresome - so why preemptively bring it up when nobody else has other than to shit up the thread?
I appreciate this thread but maybe I'm just cynical, I don't think this will help. The people saying those things were never saying them in good faith and a YouTube video explaining it to them probably won't stop them.
Yep. I appreciate the thread to the extent there is genuine misunderstanding, but a lot of it is not. It's quite telling how popular the "9.2 TF!" "last-minute upclock!" "cooling issues!" fanboy FUD circus bullshit still is on other sites tailored to competing platforms.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Good luck saying that to the people that will say it's possible. They will probably cite the PSP as an example.
It is possible. It has been done before. Devices have a certain amount of thermal and timing head room built in. It's unlikely, of course, because it's a ridiculously powerful console. But if you're going to say it's impossible for Microsoft to increase clocks now, that's just incorrect. Sony might even be able to. Again, very unlikely.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
We've just seen a rumour from a card with 2.4GHz game clocks on the PS5 thread. If anything, the XSX is the odd one with just 1.825GHz or something like that.

Beat me to it.

I think once the RDNA 2 cards come out it will be even more clearer.

Too many things point to the FUD being clearly FUD.

This too.

Honestly, this should just help ppl that are legit concerned and have questions about the PS5 make things clearer. Cant waste time or energy on ppl that post in absolute bad faith, disingenuous and knowingly spread FUD. Just best to use the ignore function.

That and bookmarks are a godsend on this forum, lol.

Jun 23, 2019
The biggest misconception that I see a lot of bad faith posters here on Era perpetuate is this silly idea that the PS5 is really 9TF and that the variable frequency that the PS5 uses is an overclock that pushes it up to 10.2TF. 😒

Mar 8, 2018
Guys, the number of people who would have be lying, misleading, or deceived in order for the XSX to not be RDNA2 would be insane. Especially when it's been openly advertised as RDNA2 for almost a year now. It's RDNA2.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Xbox One X has ~1.2ghz clock and is similar to the RX580 which has ~1.3ghz clock. It's within a few percentage points of equivalent desktop part. 1.8ghz in the console vs 2.4ghz in the pc part, is not typical.
Y'all really using a thread about clearing up a goofy PS5 conspiracy theory to spread a goofy XSX conspiracy theory?

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Guys, the number of people who would have be lying, misleading, or deceived in order for the XSX to not be RDNA2 would be insane. Especially when it's been openly advertised as RDNA2 for almost a year now. It's RDNA2.
The one person who posted about this was clearly trolling and doesn't believe XSX isn't RDNA2.

Nobody in this thread genuinely claimed XSX isn't RDNA2. More importantly, this thread has nothing to do with XSX.

Successful derail, though.
Y'all really using a thread about clearing up a goofy PS5 conspiracy theory to spread a goofy XSX conspiracy theory?
Jesus Tapdancing Christ. No. Nobody has genuinely made this claim in this thread.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Funny thing is both are based on RDNA 2 but are not RDNA2 base for desktops. They customize a lot of things and leave out the stuff they dont need. I would not be suprised if it is a solutions between 1 and 2 for both consoles. But again just wait until we have more information on the features, blockdiagrams, etc

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Xbox One X has ~1.2ghz clock and is similar to the RX580 which has ~1.3ghz clock. It's within a few percentage points of equivalent desktop part. 1.8ghz in the console vs 2.4ghz in the pc part, is not typical.
Wait are you serious? Lmao.
The one person who posted about this was clearly trolling and doesn't believe XSX isn't RDNA2.

Nobody in this thread genuinely claimed XSX isn't RDNA2. More importantly, this thread has nothing to do with XSX.

Successful derail, though.

Jesus Tapdancing Christ. No. Nobody has genuinely made this claim in this thread.
Right. Lmao. Wtf

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
They upclocked the OG Xbox One before launch, so it's certainly possible. But given they already have the performance lead it seems pointless and I doubt they would.
There's literally no reason for them to do it also. XSX besides the increased heat that would happen XSX only has a 315 watt power supply.
PS5 has s 35ow power supply, Giant Case and needed Liquid Metal to cool the system.

I can't see that being worth it at all when they already have the most powerful system on the market.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest misconception that I see a lot of bad faith posters here on Era perpetuate is this silly idea that the PS5 is really 9TF and that the variable frequency that the PS5 uses is an overclock that pushes it up to 10.2TF. 😒
It technically is an overclock. What people don't understand is that there is a difference between an overclock and a GPU that has boost. Overclock is meant to be stable while boost has way more variance.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

MrJolly

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Is that even possible? I presume the cooling would be designed around current clocks.
It's definitely posssible, but we're in the world of diminishing returns. That 2TF advantage looks massive on paper but we know this will materialize in a small lead in visual/resolution, something the average consumer won't see - a clock boost won't push this advantage much further than the gap they've already created.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
It technically is an overclock. What people don't understand is that there is a difference between an overclock and a GPU that has boost. Overclock is meant to be stable while boost has way more variance.
It's not an overclock. The boost clock is set by the manufacturer. The definition of an overclock is turning the clock speeds up past what the manufacturer set.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Does he explain why there's only 100 games that are backwards compatible?// Example of bad faith arguement

I see why you made the thread but it will have no effect on the bad faith arguements.

Last edited:

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
"Overclock" is a consumer term (although some graphics card companies have chosen to use the term). Sony could never "overclock" their console because they're the ones who designed it to run at a particular frequency. It is simply running at the frequency it was designed to, and that's that.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
It is possible. It has been done before. Devices have a certain amount of thermal and timing head room built in. It's unlikely, of course, because it's a ridiculously powerful console. But if you're going to say it's impossible for Microsoft to increase clocks now, that's just incorrect. Sony might even be able to. Again, very unlikely.
Here we go... can you show me where I said it's impossible?

I just said... inb4 the people that would come and start talking about it. Hell, I even mentioned the PSP, which at least should tell you that I know it's possible. I don't know what I have done to you man...

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I'm just waiting for the RDNA 2 thing on the end of the month. It's going to be nice and we'll hopefully learn more about the PS5.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
There's no point in trying to convince zealots. They are so deep in their rabbit hole they can't be reasoned with.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

I just said... inb4 the people that would come and start talking about it. Hell, I even mentioned the PSP, which at least should tell you that I know it's possible. I don't know what I have done to you man...
I wasn't replying to your inb4 message. Your other post definitely insinuated that it couldn't be done because the console was designed to run at certain thermal levels (which was stated in the message you were responding to).

"Good luck saying that to the people that will say it's possible. They will probably cite the PSP as an example."
If I misunderstood you, I apologize. But also...you brought it up. And then you're annoyed that people replied...I don't get it.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017

Why bring it up at all? Is it like a pre-emptive strike sort of thing? I haven't been keeping up with the news from the battlefront.

On topic, it seems like the chip was designed to run that fast and Sony found a sufficient way to cool it. I have faith in their design so no worries over here.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I wasn't replying to your inb4 message. Your other post definitely insinuated that it couldn't be done because the console was designed to run at certain thermal levels (which was stated in the message you were responding to).

If I misunderstood you, I apologize.
Ok.. all's forgiven. I was replying to someone that said that. And yes I could see how what I said could be interpreted as such, but that wasn't my meaning. I just knew that the narrative of this thread would become focused on an XSX overclock.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Dont have time to watch the video, will later, so just soaking things up via comments.. but is ps5 rdna2? I keep hearing rdna1 with rdna2 features

Does he explain why there's only 100 games that are backwards compatible?

I see why you made the thread but it will have no effect on the bad faith arguements.

Theres only like 10 games NOT backwards compatible. Where have you been?

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
RedGamingTech is not someone you should take seriously. Just my 2 cents.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg

Larger chips with more CU's are typically clocked lower comparetevily. Has been like that in PC space for a long time anyway. Afaik a 2080Ti has a lower clock speed than a 2070 or 2060.

Series X has a 'much' larger GPU in the Soc with 50 CU's compared to the 36 in the SoC in PS5.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.