• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

Screenshot_20191113-094840_Twitter.jpg

There are a lot of examples in the # on twitter from the data mining to prove this point.

The reason this is trending is this translated quote from an interview with Famitsu that contradicts the findings of the datamining:
Considering the quality of graphics in Pokémon Sword and Shield, it certainly would require considerable time to do that kind of work for every Pokémon.

Masuda:
I was personally sad about this decision. Of course, had it been feasible, I would have liked to make it possible to bring every Pokémon into the game. However, this was a choice we needed to make sooner or later. In the end, we had to choose quality.

Ohmori: Masuda and I discussed this issue a great deal. Even for Pokémon Sun and Moon, it was quite a difficult situation (to make it possible to bring every Pokémon into the game). Now that we are moving to the Nintendo Switch and remaking the models from scratch, we had to make some kind of choice. That said, despite the limitation on the Pokémon that can be brought into the game, the game's wild areas, story and other content is quite rich. I believe that players will understand that when they play the game.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Gamefreak has legitimately done alot of things wrong for a long time. The amount of vitriol, hate, and threats makes it hard to talk about any of it when they're already getting shit on instead of the constructive criticism they need though. It's impossible to talk about pokemon right now because the absolutely rabid fanbase fucking everything up for people who actually want to see the series move forward who have to sit silently and hope the mob moves on at some point. Funny how the people making shitfits are the ones hurting it the most.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
Posted this in the other thread but its relevant here too.

I'm a bit bewildered at how the models issue became such a sticking point for so many people. Graphical fidelity, removal of features, general game design choices and trends, these are all concrete things you can take issue with.

The pokemon models don't inherently make the game worse. The dex culling isnt that bad in theory but it seems the game doesnt really make up for that aspect in other areas. Criticize the game itself for not improving quality in other ways. Getting mad about models is missing the point i think.

Its especially bad when its a bunch of people talking about programming and game dev when 99.9% of them don't have a clue about those fields and have never had to work in a real professional environment where time/money/resources are limited.

Gamefreak has legitimately done alot of things wrong for a long time. The amount of vitriol, hate, and threats makes it hard to talk about any of it when they're already getting shit on instead of the constructive criticism they need though. It's impossible to talk about pokemon right now because the absolutely rabid fanbase fucking everything up for people who actually want to see the series move forward who have to sit silently and hope the mob moves on at some point. Funny how the people making shitfits are the ones hurting it the most.
Exactly

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this 'shocking revelation' has come up like five times now. How many times is the same controversy gonna be reused with a new angry hashtag? We've known for months. Just don't buy it.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Re-using some older assets as the base is the norm for every yearly Franchise - would be naive to think otherwise, regardless what they told you.

I had some understanding for the uproar early on but the last couple weeks have shown that some of the audience needs more hobbies outside of gaming.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
The point is, one is not expecting a technical marvel from GF but at least a game with no glitches or notable pop ups and a lively world. Instead, the world map looks barren and flat with many technical uncertainties. Some choices in 2019 are baffling like weather conditions which are locked to specific areas. Animations look mediocre.

Even then one might justify these issues if the game was full of contents and offered something unique but it seems in terms of contents the game is very light on top of cutting Pokémon and moves.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
If this is something that was so easily confirmed to be false, then why would Gamefreak lie about it in the first place?

Everything leading up to this game has been a hot fucking mess. It sucks, because you'd think Pokemon's big debut on Switch would be an electric event. I mean, it kinda still is, but not in a good way.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Was "and remaking the models from scratch" a legitimate translation?

For some reason I thought that the reason they limited Pokemon was because of the blowing up of models for gigantamaxing. Oh well.

CarbonCrush

Oct 27, 2017
I think partly this game is also a catalyst and a pressure release for a lot of resentment about the serious that has been brewing for a long time.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no they used some of the models.
did they use the same textures too? Did they rework any of that?

We have 4ch as a source and only a handful of models in that page. I'll hold the outrage for now because this is not shit worth getting upset over.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know where the decision to keep Pokémon developement understaffed lies but the people responsible for it need to get AAALLLL THE SHIT for it.

Devs are getting overworked and fans are getting fucked over just to keep margins high as fuck.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing inherently wrong about reusing models or animations or whatever. The context around this makes it worse though.

So uh, all those people who made youtube videos and tweets about how the models are infact different.

They uh... are they just give be like " whoops " or what

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
They've reused and recycled assets for years though. Nothing new. Hell, Smash Ultimate is an enhanced port at it's core, albeit, with a shit ton of new assets, models, visual upgrades, polish and an insane amount of content and passion poured into it.

Anyway, as someone who is finally jumping back into Pokemon after a 20 year hiatus, it's a bit disconcerting reading all of this bad news and negativity before the launch of these games. I'm sure I'll still enjoy them, but knowing so much was removed and apparently some corners were cut, just rubs me the wrong way.

I guess from Gamefreak's perspective, they wanna trim the fat, go back a bit and reassess and reboot what makes these games fun and enjoyable. Think of it as "going back to basics". I can respect that. But, in the eyes of fans, I can understand how they see this as an unnecessary regression and poor decision, especially when quality of life is compromised.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Regardless of how one feels about the game, this entire saga has been one big ass PR disaster. I doubt Nintendo and TPC are happy.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The more datamine we get the more I believe the "leak" that said the only reason we don't get all the Pokémon is because the game was mad rushed as GF had problems importing the models from 3DS.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If this is something that was so easily confirmed to be false, then why would Gamefreak lie about it in the first place?

Probably because many elements of the models from the shadow/light maps, textures, rendering techniques etc. actually had to be remade from scratch and they felt that those details were too esoteric to the casual layman to detail. A model is more than just the tris and wireframes. I don't know why people are shocked at the revelation. Most people assumed the raw models themselves were the same since day one.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't even played any Pokemon since the Silver/Gold days, but I love having delicious drama to read while I'm bored at work. Was the same for FO76.

I do hope all of this leads to some major shakeup in the franchise. They should be innovating, not getting by with the bare minimum.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
5ef30-1530811356-800.jpg

Game Freak, while you lay there, hopefully as uncomfortable as you possibly can be, I want you to listen to me. want you to digest this because before I leave in 1 week with your Game, I have a lot of things I want to get off my chest.

I don't hate you, Game Freak. I don't even dislike you. I do like you. I like you a hell of a lot more than I like most developers.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait until the game is actually out for this madness to end. It's like the Link's Awakening performance issues turned up x1,000.

Who am I kidding. It's only going to get worse, isn't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.