• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nine people have been arrested over the beheading of a French school teacher in a Paris suburb on Friday. The suspect, shot dead by police shortly after the attack, was an 18-year-old Chechen, according to an AFP source.

The man suspected of beheading the teacher who showed his students cartoons of the prophet Mohammed was an 18-year-old Moscow-born Chechen, a source told AFP on Saturday, in an act the President Emmanuel Macron described as an "Islamist terror attack".

Nine people were detained on Friday over the murder, including the parents of a child at the school where the teacher was working, said the source, who asked not to be named.

According to the source, the two detained parents had signalled their disagreement with the teacher's decision to show the cartoons. Others detained for questioning are members of the suspect's social circle but not family members.

The assailant was shot by police and later died of his injuries.

Reporting from the scene of the attack, FRANCE 24's Julia Kim said the teacher had recently given a class on secularism and the controversy surrounding the publication of cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed by satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.

The teacher reportedly "asked his Muslim students to leave the room because he was going to show some cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed that could have caused offence," Kim said, adding that this had angered some parents.

"According to my son, he was super nice, super friendly, super kind," the parent, Nordine Chaouadi, told AFP. The teacher "simply said to the Muslim children: 'Leave, I don't want it to hurt your feelings.' That's what my son told me," the parent said.

More at:
www.france24.com

Police detain 10 people over beheading of French teacher in Paris suburb

Ten people have been arrested over the beheading of a French school teacher in a Paris suburb on Friday. The suspect, shot dead by police shortly after the attack, was an 18-year-old Chechen, according…

Lock if old

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
User Banned (Permanent): Victim blaming someone murdered for sharing drawings, antagonizing members in an edit, numerous prior bans for inflammatory behavior.
Ya know, I've been following this story and frankly, the way France views Muslims, I believe, causes these attacks to occur more frequently.
We (the americans) have this view of france as a nation of tolerance. But it's not. And that can make people more susceptible to extremist outreach.

Obviously, I would never excuse the brutal murder of a man for showing a cartoon. And his teaching methods were pretty fucking horrible. But this is a much deeper problem for France. And honestly, I'm feeling for the Muslims there now just trying to go to work and have a normal life on top of Covid and now this.

Edit: ERA versus Nuance - Fight!!

Last edited:

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Ya know, I've been following this story and frankly, the way France views Muslims, I believe, causes these attacks to occur more frequently.
We (the americans) have this view of france as a nation of tolerance. But it's not. And that can make people more susceptible to extremist outreach.

Obviously, I would never excuse the brutal murder of a man for showing a cartoon. And his teaching methods were pretty fucking horrible. But this is a much deeper problem for France. And honestly, I'm feeling for the Muslims there now just trying to go to work and have a normal life on top of Covid and now this.

No. This caricature shit has been going on for 20 years. These are drawings in a free speech country. No one has to die from this.
There are other issues, social integration, poverty, ghettos obviously. But it is a different matter.
Here is a gruesome murder of a man that was doing his job because of dubious religious motives by a lunatic.
Don't blame the victim please.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Fuck off with this bullshit.

Oct 3, 2019

Shut the fuck up.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018

How about we fight religious extremism (regardless of the religion) in general instead of pretending it doesn't exist or placating the people who push it?

Musician

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden

This ain't it, man. Wow.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017

Victim blaming 101 folks

"this is a terrible tragedy, but"

nasuknight

Nov 2, 2017
Every time we take a step forward in society, we jump back twice over. How difficult is it to demonstrate a level of decency? Nothing but god damn chimpanzees.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018

Dude....

T-Virus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2020

Only took 1 reply.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK

Really...

And with the double down edit?!

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax

Seriously what kind of bullshit take is this?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
The parents involved need to be questioned. Like, if they were in any part influential in this then they need to be brought to justice.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Good. An 18 year old doesn't sip a coke and become indoctrinated, someone knew something and could have helped planned it. That said, hopefully these arrests are legit and not just 'round everyone up to make it look like we are doing something'.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

This Post Is Dumb

and there's no nuance to what you're saying

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018

Your post sucked dude , just get over it.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

What an edit— "nuance". Lmao

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020

Since when did nuance mean both siding a brutal murder?

The issues you've raised absolutely are issues in France. But they are not the cause of this situation so please don't victim blame.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So a guy gets beheaded but you're feeling for the Muslims and not him or his family, and while you say you're definitely not making excuses for his death you then go on to suggest excuses anyway.

I don't see any issue with his teaching methods, especially as he politely asked his Muslim students to leave the room to not offend them.

I do see issue with religious fuckwads like the terrorist in this case ruining people's lives because they can't handle their made up superstitions being insulted. And that goes for every religion and belief

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017

Nuance lmao. Stop parroting words you've seen on the internet. This is straight victim blaming.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017

Nah, fuck off with that shit, the very ability to show off these drawings is a fundamental right as freedom of speech, don't victim blame. The problem is not the drawings or the teacher wanting to show them, it's the religious extremists that want to deny that freedom of speech by way of violence.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I hope they behead the one who did it and broadcast it live, make an example out of him.

Also the last sentence of the first reply gave it away that they are trolling.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Victim blaming. Really.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys are wasting your time replying to a troll, just report it and ignore them.

Oct 27, 2017

This is a garbage, garbage post.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Ehh, you can make the argument that France marginalizes a shitload of communities leading to a cycle of poverty in many of its ghettos, but that ain't walking up to a school and chopping a dudes head off. It was an senseless act of terror, not a cash friendly black market industry.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say that if you follow a religion that considers something an insult/blasphemy that is ok and expected for you to respect that. You should not, however, expect non-followers to do the same. You may criticize other people behaviors but that is.

We live in a society that expect everyone respect others. But the crash of arguments never should result in violence.

Again if you follow a religion and that religion (or just a branch of religion, I am not trying to englobe every Muslim here) preaches violence against who not follow it (or even to who follows it but not to a strict sense) then you have a problem and a problem of such teaching/religion.

Dec 7, 2017
Seems like the parents and other people conspired against the teacher (who told Muslims to leave the classroom while showing the pictures, as far as I understand it).

Shit is fucked up and fucks up freedom of speech and art.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
At this stage I'm more concerned over the 30+ Balkanised posts screaming over a comment that should have been shut down by 1 - and moved on.
Are you? People load thread, people see his comment first, people respond to it. I hadn't even seen the responses, because while my response didn't add much, it took some time to write, because I was pretty shocked at first. So while I was processing what they guy had written, a bunch of other replies had been posted without me noticing.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DiipuSurotu
If you'd like to reboot this thread without the immediate derail, let us know and we'll lock this and we can start again.
Thanks for the offer! I actually just found there is a prior thread:

www.resetera.com

Man decapitated near Paris, police confirm to Euronews [Up: 9 further arrests, see threadmark]

https://www.euronews.com/2020/10/16/man-decapitated-near-paris-police-confirm-to-euronews The victim is a French History teacher, who showed to his class the caracatures (not sure of the word in English) of the Muslims Prophet Mahomet. He was beheaded next to the school. The killer is 18yo and...

So I think we can lock this one and continue in the other thread.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thanks for the offer! I actually just found there is a prior thread:

www.resetera.com

Man decapitated near Paris, police confirm to Euronews [Up: 9 further arrests, see threadmark]

https://www.euronews.com/2020/10/16/man-decapitated-near-paris-police-confirm-to-euronews The victim is a French History teacher, who showed to his class the caracatures (not sure of the word in English) of the Muslims Prophet Mahomet. He was beheaded next to the school. The killer is 18yo and...

So I think we can lock this one and continue in the other thread.
Generally we go for new news, new thread, but in this case I don't think this thread will recover. Please could someone drop the news update in the thread linked below.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Status
Not open for further replies.