• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hispanic/Latino/Latina/Latinx Era what is your preferred term for your ethnicity?

• Hispanic

Votes: 114 35.7%
  • Latino

Votes: 141 44.2%
  • Latina

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Latinx

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • Latine

Votes: 24 7.5%
  • Latin-Americans/LatAm

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • Latino/Latina (written and said together)

Votes: 12 3.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
Latest survey on Politico has only 2% of Hispanic voters use the term Latinx to describe their heritage and 40% said the term offends them. So my question to Hispanic ERA is what do you think?

I'm not offended by the term but I do find it imperialistic that English speakers are upset about a gendered language.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Spreading Misinformation Around Inclusive Language
it's such a white people solution to an invented problem by people who don't have gramatical gender. I actively avoid using it. since it doesn't exist in spanish

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer latinx and am happy when people use it to include me, personally speaking.

I know latine exists but it's so ugly, latinx sounds cool and badass imo

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Ugly-ass word. Adding x at the end of it reminds of extreeeeeeeme 90s culture or something like that.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
User Banned (2 Weeks): Spreading Misinformation Around Inclusive Language
it's such a white people solution to an invented problem by people who don't have gramatical gender. I actively avoid using it. since it doesn't exist in spanish

This. Such a white person solution - and more, people who don't understand the language.

If people want to change what you call them then let them, don't dictate - it's creepy.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
There's literally nothing wrong with Hispanic if we want something gender-neutral. I don't know why "latinx" exists.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think maybe Warren has used the term, and that's about it for big democrats, lol.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Half-rican, always found it silly and I don't care for it. Sure that some people don't mind, but folks I know aren't fans.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
My understanding is it just doesn't make sense from a Spanish-speaking perspective, and that should be the end of it right there.

I always assumed Hispanic meant Spanish and Portuguese speaking areas/people, regardless of geography - kind of like the word "anglosphere".

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
As a word it's literally incompatible with Spanish. It's never going to happen.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Latinx at least makes sense.

Keep seeing people use "folx" recently. Had it even show up in a few work emails in the last few months… is that one really becoming a thing?

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I don't use it, personally, as a Latino (I usually just say Latin for gender-neutral contexts), but the word doesn't stir up rage in me or whatever. I do find anglo people who police Latin people on it annoying, though.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I mentioned the word to my hispanic and latino buddies and they just laughed. Had never even heard of it so I explained.

Pretty much said, "fucking white people" lmao

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm forced to use a label, then latino although I'm not a fan of it. Hispanic works fine for people from primarily Spanish speaking countries outside of Spain I'm sure but I don't get why latino applies to Brazilians as well but not any other country that speaks a romance language. It always felt like a way to group Brazilians with those Spanish speaking countries because Hispanic wouldn't fit.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I'll ever understand who "Latinx" is even for. White people can just say Latin American(s) or shorten it to LatAm. And while it's not immediately obvious, "Latinos" is already gender-neutral, or at least it's intended as such whenever someone refers to us as a group. If, for some reason, that's not acceptable, I would think that "Latin@s" absolutely is, at least in writing. Also, how would one even say or write "the Latinxs" in Spanish? Les Latinxs? I would think that using "las" or "los" would defeat the purpose of trying to make another gender-neutral word to refer to us as a group.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe the term excludes brazillians, since it refers to Spain, and Brazil was colonized, by Portugal and speaks portugese.
brazilians are hispanic the whole peninsula was a roman province called hispania. (think i'm spelling it wrong) portugal and spain are both hispania

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Latinx never made sense without conquering the concept of gendering in general in Spanish. It never caught on really, and I think any attempt to claim Dems were trying to is a bit foolish.

pizzaparty

Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind it. The Latino/Latina Law Society at my old law school changed its name to the Latinx Law Society.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I'll ever understand who "Latinx" is even for. White people can just say Latin American(s) or shorten it to LatAm. And while it's not immediately obvious, "Latinos" is already gender-neutral, or at least it's intended as such whenever someone refers to us as a group. If, for some reason, that's not acceptable, I would think that "Latin@s" absolutely is, at least in writing. Also, how would one even say or write "the Latinxs" in Spanish? Les Latinxs? I would think that using "las" or "los" would defeat the purpose of trying to make another gender-neutral word to refer to us as a group.
It would be 'latin-equis'.

As pronounced here:

m.youtube.com

How to Pronounce X in Spanish - Spanish Pronunciation Guide of the Alphabet

In this short video, you will learn about the pronunciation in Spanish. Find a full Spanish pronunciation guide over here: http://spanishforyourjob.com/pronu...

Status
Not open for further replies.