• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Has Phil Spencer permanently tarnished his reputation as the "good guy" of the industry?

• Yes

Votes: 212 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 521 51.1%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 286 28.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Console Warring, Long History of Similar Infractions
I know many people around here idolize Phil Spencer and believe that he/Xbox are the "good guys" of the industry that make pro-consumer moves. I'm just curious how much, if at all, this morning's news about the drastic Gold price increase, which appears to be a tactic to coerce people into subbing to Game Pass, has affected people's perception of Phil Spencer.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say destroyed but this should hopefully wake people up that he want to sell you stuff. He isn't your friend.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Oh good lord. Y'all know Sony, Nintendo and MS are businesses right? Like it was a weird and bad decision but companies are not your friends. Like good grief.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is still a business at the end of the day. Doesn't matter if the people working there are likeable.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
are guys really that naive in that 'good guy uncle phil' and 'pro-consumer MS' nonsense?

all those positive vibes are business PR tactics.

you know MS and Xbox (and all videogame companies) are profit making organization, right?

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
He was never "the good guy" of gaming. He just knows how to market Xbox to a certain type of consumer.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't ever think of a corporation as your friend, therefore probably shouldn't think of the head of a division of said corporation as "a good guy".

Phil is probably a good person, he sure seems like one, but all he's doing is running a business. He works for the people that business employs, and for the shareholders of said business. His Xbox-related actions aren't being done because "he's such a great guy", they're being done to increase the viability and profitability of the business.

The worthwhile questions are if this decision will have a positive or negative business impact, and I think that remains to be seen. I lean on the side of negative, for sure.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Oh give me a break.

The price increase sucks, sure, but it feels like some of y'all are just looking for a reasons to push back against the idea that MS and Xbox has become much more consumer friendly over the years. Which, generally speaking, they have.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
You were already an insane person if you thought a corporate executive was the "good guy" before the price increase. Not sure the increase changes anything.

Corporations are NOT your friends.

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
Most people who are even aware of the price increase right now aren't going to immediately associate it with him.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
there are no "good guys"

edit: epic thread

Last edited:

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Lol

You could argue he doesn't deserve to be deified by folk to begin with but this is some gamefaqs calibre shit

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Sony went from free online on the PS3 to charging people for it on the PS4. Did that permanently tarnish their image?

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
He's an executive of one of the biggest companies in the world. It's really weird to think of him in terms of "good guy" or "bad guy".

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Can a mod change the title of this thread to "Has Phil Spencer shot himself in the foot..."?

Serious request

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mother of God. Use the responses in this thread as an indicator to reflect on your thinking of this shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.