• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are they making a CoD Killer/ competitor?

• Yes, it's gonna be Sony's answer to CoD in the future

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • No, what the hell we don't know shit about it

Votes: 111 73.0%
  • Its gonna be a single player game cause PlayStation lolol

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Not a CoD Killer It's gonna some zombie game cause black ops devs lol

Votes: 12 7.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
E3i2yFQXwAYI1xZ

So deviation are mostly ex Treyarch/ Cod developers who are being funded by PlayStation to make the next big AAA game... obviously with their background I expect it to be a shooter. even before news of Activision purchase, I feel like they were making a CoD competitor similar to how Early last gen Xbox funded Respawn for Titanfall 1 exclusivity where everyone also thought this was gonna be the cod Killer.

Now they're expanding even before their first game being released, that's some great confidence/ more Sony $$$$ pourinng in đź‘€?

Anyway do you think if they make a FPS it's gonna be akin to Cod

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
To be a proper "CoD killer" you have to be willing to make a new game every year or every 2 years. Making a game and updating it every now and then won't cut it. Sony can have replacements for CoD fans but you're never going to kill CoD unless CoD implodes itself which seems nearly impossible.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
They will make a shooter, and it won't make a dent in COD sales no matter how successful it is

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know why unrealistic expectations need to be assigned to this game. They're hopefully creating a quality game that will be enjoyed by PS users. That's all that I care about.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
When has designating something as "X killer" ever worked lmao.

I think they will make something entirely new rather than just COD Zombies in a new skin. You don't start a new studio just to do the exact same thing you were doing before. Sony also signed this deal years ago before COD was ever in danger of leaving the platform.

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Most of the times "industry veterans" set up a new studio from scratch the results... are not that great.
As a general rule, temper your expectations.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
You don't make a "big thing" killer. You certainly don't kill CoD.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Approaching a new game as a "(currently popular game here) killer" is gonna result in a bad time.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Anything looked at as a "CoD killer" has such unrealistic expectations, that's it's nothing more than message board/social media nonsense

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Personally I'd rather hope they were doing something completely new and exciting, looking to the future rather than the past.

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020
Are they going to try? Maybe. Are they going to make a multiplatform game that's day 1 on game pass? Also, maybe.

Deleted member 10623

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2021
Nothing can kill COD. Been playing every single one since Black Ops 1 (have played older titles but Black Ops 1 was my first one) and you hear the same thing every year 'this fps shooter is going to kill COD' and nothing happens. It's the same thing that happens year after year. COD is like Fifa, it's never going to die, its at the top of the iceberg in gaming.

The same thing happened recently with Battlefield 2042. Vanguard is not only a better game but has x10 more features that game is missing. People could try to convince themselves otherwise. At the end of the day, this is my opinion.

As someone else said 'they could try' and see what happens.

Last edited:

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
With current way of PlayStation $$ and ww studio support/marketing they CAN
No they cant lol.

Playstation $$ isnt worth more than Activision $$. Literally thousands and thousands of devs are needed to make CoD what it is at its release schedule.

You think PS WW studios will match against Infinity Ward, Treyarch, High Moon, Raven, Toys 4 Bob, Sledgehammer and other smaller support studios?

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
To be a proper "CoD killer" you have to be willing to make a new game every year or every 2 years. Making a game and updating it every now and then won't cut it. Sony can have replacements for CoD fans but you're never going to kill CoD unless CoD implodes itself which seems nearly impossible.
Yep. CoD's got over 4 studios overworked to make new releases every year + Warzone

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing will be the COD killer, at least from first party. It is basically trying to capture lightning in a bottle and is random on what causes success overnight.

Instead it should be targeting a good sustainable userbase that can and should be supported for the entire gen.

Also idk if it will be COD like in terms of gameplay, mechanics and online since their hirings note things you wouldn't really equate to COD.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Why does everything need to be a response to something else lol?
Can't they just make a game without trying to live up to the expectations of an entirely different series?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
A game exclusive to one console is never going to be a COD/Fortnite/whatever killer.

It's not as simple as making a good game that is similar to the thing you're trying to kill.

The studio would be better off just trying to make a great game with their vision rather then Sony trying to mandate a COD killer because they're worried about Xbox.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
Voted for CoD killer because of the genre and target audience but its certainly not going to kill CoD

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Killer? You won't even make a gap filler. You are just competing against games like Apex, Fortnite etc. at best and good luck.

OP
OP
Ehoavash

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
A game exclusive to one console is never going to be a COD/Fortnite/whatever killer.

It's not as simple as making a good game that is similar to the thing you're trying to kill. COD is cross-generational smash hit.

With Sony's strategy I can see it be PlayStation and PC ...maybe at launch đź‘€

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
They are gonna make a Halo/CoD/Destiny/Apex/Overwatch killer all at the same time.

JCmasta

Banned
Aug 31, 2020
E3i2yFQXwAYI1xZ

So deviation are mostly ex Treyarch/ Cod developers who are being funded by PlayStation to make the next big AAA game... obviously with their background I expect it to be a shooter. even before news of Activision purchase, I feel like they were making a CoD competitor similar to how Early last gen Xbox funded Respawn for Titanfall 1 exclusivity where everyone also thought this was gonna be the cod Killer.

Now they're expanding even before their first game being released, that's some great confidence/ more Sony $$$$ pourinng in đź‘€?

Anyway do you think if they make a FPS it's gonna be akin to Cod

Can we not do this dumbass "CoD-killer" shit? it's juvenile console warrior BS

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Stop putting unreasonable expectations on this studio and game, even with it being AAA and made by a big and experienced team they still don't come close to the support network that exists for COD to be the franchise that it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.