• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I have the following consoles... (and its condition is...)

• PS5 Disc Edition and it is working fine

Votes: 108 67.9%
  • PS5 Disc Edition and it has major issues

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • PS5 Digital Edition and it is working fine

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • PS5 Digital Edition and it has major issues

Votes: 10 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2018
There have been many reports of consoles with serious faults post-launch. Apparently "a lot" of consoles are having similar issues, but without hard numbers it's impossible to accurately gauge how severe the problem is. Hopefully a poll like this helps with that.

Understandably this poll only covers Resetera members and doesn't provide a truly accurate number of how many consoles are experience severe problems. Only Microsoft and Sony know that for sure.

I wanted to make a single poll to cover both consoles, but the forum won't allow me that many poll choices so I had to split it up for each console family.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Major issues means problems that require attention from either retailers or manufacturers, such as returns/replacements. I do not believe we have to count bugs that may be purely game software issues and are strictly isolated to certain games, or problems that can be solved by console OS updates.

Something like the Spiderman Miles Morales issue that seems to be a unique interaction with the console hardware that causes console-bricking should count as a major issue.

I've allowed the poll to be multiple choice, and for users to change their poll answers just in case their seemingly perfectly-fine console suddenly bricks down the road.

If a mod or someone else decides they want to make a more official thread and replace this one, they are free to do so.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't going to be even remotely representative and you're going to have people troll voting.

Why bother?

OP
OP
WereSalamander
May 21, 2018
This isn't going to be even remotely representative and you're going to have people troll voting.

Why bother?

Because a lot of people in the thoubleshooting threads are feeling a hefty amount of anxiety about their consoles, and some hard data, even if imperfect, would go a long way to either assuage their fears or provide some level of confirmation to the severity of the issues reported.

SolmonGrundy

Oct 25, 2017
My PS5 disc version has not been able to play any games digital or physical. Miles Morales freezes during the PlayStation Studios logo and and Astro freezes after 2 minutes every single time.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
In the middle no MAJOR issues, but I had it soft lock when playing something. Think it might've been miles. Got stuck on the home menu and couldn't do anything even though the console music was playing. Had to unplug the back cord.

External HDD support seemed kinda wonky too. Wanting to download stuff and saying games that were supported weren't.

Both seem like things a system update would fix.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My disc version is completely fine as far as I can tell. I did a data transfer from PS4 to PS5 using a lan cable (learned afterwards that people are saying not to do this...), and it's been in Rest Mode a few times. I disabled it now, but I just noticed it still enters Rest Mode whenever I turn my TV off I believe.

Idk, y'all got me anxious as fuck, but so far so good.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no way of enforcing this so that only people with a PS5 can vote I'm afraid.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
No issues with mine as of yet. I played all the way through Astro as well as a bit of Bugsnax, Genshin Impact, Fall Guys, and Monster Hunter World. I haven't done any of the things that people have zeroed in on as potential problems though, like rest mode or external HDD.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 has not launched in EU/etc. yet so this is only representative of the 12th day release batch.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
This thread will be pointless and do nothing but increase peoples anxiety unless people prove they own a console and are having issues, there are fanboys of every brand on every forum, we're no exception. I'm expecting a 20-30% failure rate from this poll, which even for a launch batch is absurd.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
My disc edition failed to come back from rest mode the first (and only) time I tried. It powered back up after I pulled its plug and it's been running fine. I had the same problem with the PS4.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
No issues for me, but I think I'll wait for a system update before playing Spiderman since that game for some reason seems to be causing a lot of problems.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Disc version, no issues so far. I've played Astro's Playroom and Demon's Souls.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
My only issue is that Destiny Beyond Light says "unavailable (PS4)" even though I bought it? I guess BL isn't available on PS5 yet until the next gen patch?

Other than that, both my XSX and PS5 work well and fine

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Theres no way to tell how people are voting in this or the other thread. It's just plain silly.

edit: WAAARS!

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
Because a lot of people in the thoubleshooting threads are feeling a hefty amount of anxiety about their consoles, and some hard data, even if imperfect, would go a long way to either assuage their fears or provide some level of confirmation to the severity of the issues reported.

I don't think you understand how statistics works.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Voted working fine with a caveat. FFVII:R installed slow as molasses and was significantly louder than my PS4 ever was when spinning a disc. I'm talking five minutes to move two percentage points, with the disc starting and stopping over and over. It did this for about fifteen minutes then spun nonstop and installed at a more expected rate. Then putting the play disc it spun non stop even with the game closed. Then I tried to load a game and it informed me that it was still installing and was at 94%. Took about a minute per percent at that point.

Now playing the game dialog is cutting off completely while the music still plays fine.

I'm just chalking this up to a BC issue for the moment and will say I have no major issues to note. I can only detect coil whine if I put my ear 2 inches from the console, so I'm pleasantly surprised to not have any noise issues other than the jet engine disc spinning, which thankfully is transitory.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Seemingly everything else is going fine. I booted up Demon's Souls and I played a few minutes of Astro's Playroom, and am downloading Bugsnax now.

But I can't download any updates whatsoever for any of these games. It's not a 'major' issue, at least yet, but I'm not super sure what to think at the moment?

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I do not agree with the polling but a singular topic for hardware defects per console family would be appreciated.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a thread that's doomed to fail, but I've had hard locks of games on both new consoles.

hydruxo

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Why was the Series X thread by OP locked but this one is still up? Neither one is really worthwhile since the poll can't be an accurate way to gauge who's telling the truth or trolling.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
While I don't have a problem with the poll or thread, it would indeed be helpful for everyone if the people who are voting that they have a major issue posted what their major issue is.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

you're going to end up with a failure rate SIGNIFICANTLY higher than the actual failure rate because most of the folks with totally ok systems are just playing them instead, and you can't stop non-PS5 or XSX owners voting in respective threads

If anything you're going to make the anxiety worse because your poll currently shows a 17% failure rate and rising which is completely absurd

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
There's really no way to tell if poll responders are telling the truth, trolling, or even have the consoles. This thread will not receive an actual accurate landscape of anything, so it's best that it is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.