• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think is happening first?

• Sony releases their games on PC day one.

Votes: 47 9.6%
  • Sony releases PS5 Slim.

Votes: 442 90.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
User Banned (2 months): Creating trolling/platform warring thread; very long history of similar infractions
Hi guys!

I was just thinking about my future hardware purchases and this came to my mind. In light of recent events I think it is interesting to thing about the question in the poll.

For me, if Sony releases their games on PC day one before PS5 Slim arrives, I am back to PC gaming 100%. If not, I may buy the Slim if it arrives before.

What do you think?

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never see them releasing their big first party games day one on pc. Only exception would be a big free to play multi like factions 2.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Doubt they will release them day 1 anytime soon since the next games are a few years old and there are still other (old) games they could release.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I doubt they'll ever release their games day one on PC but I can potentially forsee there being a 3-6 month delay in the future rather than the 3 year delay there is now

Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys!

I was just thinking about my future hardware purchases and this came to my mind. In light of recent events I think it is interesting to thing about the question in the poll.

For me, if Sony releases their games on PC day one before PS5 Slim arrives, I am back to PC gaming 100%. If not, I may buy the Slim if it arrives before.

What do you think?
i would rather see a ps5 in a store just one time FIRST..... before a slim or pro comes out..

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
The only intention Sony has to release games on PC at the moment is so that people want to buy a PS5 for sequels of those games or get a general feel of the quality of Sony first party titles. Well and to get some more money from games that are already in the PS+ Collection so they are not selling much on Playstation anymore.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Day one PC releases won't happen at least until next generation in my opinion. Except a few things like some multiplayer games (TLoU Factions for example).

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 Slim.

The PS5 Slim will probably also come before it's safe to say that every first party PlayStation game will even get a PC version.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 Slim first, but i do think day and date PC releases are inevitable in future. At first Sony will try to release bunch of big games less than a year after PS5 versions (Horizon FW is rumored, probably GT 7 as well - that one was on Nvidia leak, too).

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Might as well have said

"What's the better chance of happening first?

The sun rising

Sony releasing games day 1 on PC

Silly poll/question.

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
What if I changed my question to: What is happening first: Sony releasing their PS5 games on PC (not necessarily on day one) or Sony releasing PS5 Slim?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I can see stuff like Returnal and DS Remake coming to PC before a Slim. Highly doubt day one though unless maybe its multiplayer only.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
i really doubt Sony is gonna do day and date PC releases in the foreseeable future, if ever.
Ps5 slim/Pro is not happening until the chip crisis is adverted, which can be very well late 2023 and beyond.

What if I changed my question to: What is happening first: Sony releasing their PS5 games on PC (not necessarily on day one) or Sony releasing PS5 Slim?

they are already doing that xD

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i really doubt Sony is gonna do day and date PC releases in the foreseeable future, if ever.
Ps5 slim/Pro is not happening until the chip crisis is adverted, which can be very well late 2023 and beyond.

they are already doing that xD
Which PS5 games have been announced for PC?

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Also, I wonder, may the chips shortage somehow push them to release games on PC earlier just to sell more games and make their development more profitable?

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I think you are dreaming if you think Sony are releasing their games day 1 on PC. Beyond the business perspective, I don't really see a willingness to pull resources away from their expensive, story driven experiences until after launch.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Sony has no reason to not stagger the releases. PC people can and will wait. Console people will scoop up plenty.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I could see a remaster collection of older Sony franchises like Sly Cooper dropping day and date on PC and PS5 if Sony makes them.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Sony will probably release some online multiplayer first party games day 1 on PC this gen, don't see them doing it for their flagship single player games any time soon though.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I do not think they will have release day and date for anything all that significant within this gen.

Something heavily multiplayer centric like The Last of Us multiplayer could be a unique case, but beyond that I think people are getting ahead of themselves. Exciting times either way.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Microsoft has transitioned to a 'play our games anywhere, on anything, at anytime' model. They don't care if you buy their games or subscriptions on an Xbox, PC or whatever other devices one can access gamepass nowadays. Either way you're in their ecosystem, because MS realized that competing with Sony on a global scale in the hardware arms race is a losing battle.

Sony still relies on the more traditional model of pushing hardware sales and using that install base to then funnel their product through. If I, as a PC gamer, could access Sony's first party line day and date with PS5 owners I wouldn't bother with their console and I suspect that's a fairly commonly held viewpoint. I've taken that approach with the Xbox brand, and the only Microsoft console I have at present is a One X, and that's moreso being kept as a 4k UHD player and xbox 360/OG Xbox machine. I have very few native XB1 games on there because what's of interest to me from that gen I can access on either Steam or Windows store.

It's clear what Sony is doing with their PC initiative: take some of their back catalog that has maxed out in sales on the original platform and get whatever sales they can get on the PC side. This is 'easy money' because newer consoles share many architecture similarities with PCs, so the investment is likely pretty small for the possible ROI from PC gamers. They can then funnel those profits back into development for PS5 games which will then show up, in cases, on PC years later. Rinse, repeat.....

So with that said, the PS5 slim is easily the answer here.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It counts since I feel they may release MP titles day 1 or other types of games but not their flagship traditional console titles

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see Sony selling a normal PS5 slim, so if they ever do that, It'll just be PS5 Pro that is also smaller in size.

So day 1 PS5 games on PC is my pick. I believe we'll get there by 2024-2025 if not sooner tbh. I don't think Sony sees that big of an overlap between people who would want a PS5 and primary PC players, so I don't think they'd go for a stagger release for that long.

EDIT: Wow, I'm surprised at so many people saying Sony games won't eventually be released day 1 on PC. The main reason we are getting old PS games on PC for now is because they are so behind in that regard. Did people forget that Sony announced Uncharted Legacy of Thieves for PS5 and PC in their own big showcase? Clearly they don't think bringing games to PC will affect PS5's momentum.

Last edited:

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Oh definitely a PS5 slim. Sony will want to get the cost of the system as low as possible as soon as possible. They already started doing it this year with the smaller cooler. They also know that the PS5 isn't exactly a beloved design, even by people who own it.

I'd say it could arrive as early as next fall, but with everything going on right now I'd probably lean towards a mid 2023 release.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Poll is kind of unclear. I wouldn't be shocked to see Sony publish *a* day and date PC release before releasing a PS5 slim, but I don't think it'll be for a major game.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see Sony selling a normal PS5 slim, so if they ever do that, It'll just be PS5 Pro that is also smaller in size.

So day 1 PS5 games on PC is my pick. I believe we'll get there by 2024-2025 if not sooner tbh. I don't think Sony sees that big of an overlap between people who would want a PS5 and primary PC players, so I don't think they'd go for a stagger release for that long.

EDIT: Wow, I'm surprised at so many people saying Sony games won't eventually be released day 1 on PC. The main reason we are getting old PS games on PC for now is because they are so behind in that regard. Did people forget that Sony announced Uncharted Legacy of Thieves for PS5 and PC in their own big showcase? Clearly they don't think bringing games to PC will affect PS5's momentum.

Their stated goal with PC ports is to get more $ out of games that have basically already sold all they will sell on consoles. Look at all the games they have on PC and you will see that each one has been sold for pennies on PSN and gone free either with PS+ or just free. They want to extract more revenue from these titles without giving them to a competitor

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think you'll see Sony releasing some of their games day one on PC (they already do. They released Predator Hunting Grounds day one on both PS4 and EGS) but I definitely see a PS5 Slim before they launch any kind of 'every game day and date on Steam' initiative.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Did they even release a smaller version of the PS4?

The PS4 slim came out just under 2 years after release of the PS4. PS5 slim would probably be release somewhere between 2 and 3 years from release.

z91XJV3_d.webp

Jul 1, 2020
Sony doesn't really benefit from releasing their games day and date on PC. I expect them to be ports of dusty old, but not too old, games for the foreseeable future.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
You say "games".

Predator: Hunting Grounds which is published by SIE was released on PS4/PC on the same day. You could say it's already started, but it's not going to be like that with most of their own games, before a PS5 slim arrives. There's intent and an indication that it could happen with some of their upcoming multiplayer games (TLoU, Twisted Metal), but their big tentpole system-selling single-player games? Their bread and butter? Nah.

Naer

Oct 29, 2017
Sony doesn't want to lose the "digital streaming platforms and the play anywhere (but with us) train", day one releases is something that's gonna happen, maybe not tomorrow or nexts years, but will happen.

There are others actors playing the game, not just MS. Sony doesn't want to be irrelevant in 10 or 15 years.

But yes, the slim will came first.

Status
Not open for further replies.