• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Let me preface by saying this story is just a rumour at this point.

This Twitter user had claimed responsibility by sending this to Fox News. That's a 9 Petabyte zip bomb allegedly.

Word is circulating fast on social media about this zip bomb, which if true could brick computers.

If you don't know what this is, it's a zip file with a deceptively large file size, which when when opened overwhelms an OS to the point of bricking the recipient's computer once the the Incredibly large true file size is unzipped from compression.

Last edited:

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
So this will brick one single computer at Fox?

I don't get the point I guess, I also don't get why this is framed as like breaking news or something.

lori

Oct 25, 2017
i'm sure they won't be able to afford replacing a computer

should've hit them with widespread ransomware

Mesoian

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 28, 2017
To be perfectly honest, if fox is so lax in their IT department that their computers would allow a zip file to opened from an untrusted source on their network, they deserve everything they get.

I mean they'd deserve it anyway, but I digress.

This feels very "teeheehee, we stuck it to the man" but the reality of this is will likely not be opened, or worst case scenario (Best case?), brick 1 laptop which will be replaced an hour later.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
This is moronic. Zip bombs were a thing in the 90s.

Nowadays you get a big file on one computer, who cares.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Breaking one computer that they can just restart is just underwhelming. I was expecting it to have the entire Fox News network down.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a dumb thing to do. I get wanting to shut down Fox News, but this does absolutely nothing.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Always good to document yourself committing a crime

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
What a dumb thing to do. I get wanting to shut down Fox News, but this does absolutely nothing.
Yeah.
OddRipeGoshawk-size_restricted.gif

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Dang bricked a a whole 5-year old Dell computer someone's assistance was using.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
This is so dumb. And the Twitter user desperately trying to take credit for it is also dumb.

"No really guys, it's true. I swear it! I was the one who made the fart noise with my mouth! It was me! Muhahshahaha!ā€¦ what? You don't believe me?"

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I prefaced by saying it's just a rumour at this point. Until more sources can verify we will treat as that for now.
Bruh, your whole title is wrong. "fox news" instead of "one person who works at Fox news" . "Targeted" instead of "got emailed". And "possible rumor" (which...possible rumor? Is it a rumor or not?) Instead of "a single tweet says".

Lol.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Oh, weird. I was just Googling whether Zip disks could explode if burned the other day, and most of the results were about Zip bombs. That's the first time I'd even heard about this.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
You maybe possibly bricked a single computer at a billion dollar news network. Okay.

Send a virus or ransomware next time.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
yes fox is going to be totally destroyed by a rando emailing them a sketchy as hell looking link to a zip hosted by discord

FQcXGXwXsAYvFdH

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
This is deeply stupid. Like, fuck Fox News, but this is deeply stupid and this person should feel bad for being this lame.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Wake me up when they ransomware their whole system or replace their broadcast signal with pro lgbtq content. This is a massive nothing burger prank at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.