• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
eHxXEZx.jpg

Brian Ashmore said:
I painted the above image a long, long time ago in a studio not so far away...

This is an OLD, OLD image. Actually, it's an image I painted about 15 years ago in 1993. This image was for a card set for Topps called Star Wars Galaxy 2. The idea behind the set was to let artists depict events from the Star Wars saga that didn't necessarily happen onscreen. This led to many imaginative ideas from many different artists.

My concept was to depict a younger, pre-Vader Anakin Skywalker brooding over the shoulder of his wife and the mother of Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa. Presumably, only Leia had been hidden from Anakin and that is why this image is sans baby Leia. This was to be my first nationally published illustration and I waited on pins and needles for the card set to be released. It was like being 5 years old and waiting for Christmas to arrive. When the cards were released, I got a big, kick-in-the-teeth surprise...my image was not part of the set. I called my editor at Topps immediately. He explained that George Lucas, himself, had pulled some images from the set because they depicted events from the, yet unknown, prequel trilogy. Happy day.
More info at: http://brianashmore.blogspot.com/2008/10/stange-twist-of-providence.html

wpJFQjx.jpg

Conceptual portrait of young Obi-Wan Kenobi, 1994, by Australian artist Hugh Fleming, from Topps' Star Wars Galaxy: New Visions trading card set (series 2, #224).

Obi-Wan's face here is modeled on the young Alec Guinness; his Jedi attire is based on what Mark Hamill wears in ROTJ.
More info at: https://www.facebook.com/thephantomfanboy/photos/a.1595563890546362/1617689141667170/

Let the past die if old

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man just imagine what it could have been.. Prequel trilogy is what hobbit trilogy is to lotr.
The fucked up part is that I don't ever see it getting remade.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I love how much concept Kenobi looks like Alec Guiness lol

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
That's pretty awesome. I can see Episode I's teaser poster shadow inspiration though...

In hindsight a beardless Obi Wan looks wrong to me XD

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
these are super cool and nostalgic looking. i get why george pulled back on these though, they are rooted pretty hard in the original trilogy's aesthetic and if there's anything the prequels did well, it was establishing a prequel aesthetic that was completely different

Nov 1, 2017
There is a lot of artwork of Star Wars in various forms out there if you take a look, some of it have the original drawings from characters to the Millennium Falcon itself. A few characters even had action figures of them in the last decade.

Why Vader has buttons stupidly on his chest that anyone can use to kill him makes more sense once you know originally the helmet and buttons were actually a space suit for him.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm blanking on what Anakin wore in the prequels, but him wearing a Vader-like cape is a really fantastic touch.

The Kenobi's also well done, instantly recognisable as him.

Great stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.