• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which scenario?

• Biden with Dem Senate

Votes: 265 79.8%
  • Sanders with GOP Senate

Votes: 67 20.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Which would be preferable to you of these two hypothetical scenarios?

Assume Pelosi retains her House Majority.

Note, that the hypothetical lasts at least two years until the midterms, after which e.g. Biden may have to deal with a GOP Majority or Sanders may get a Dem Majority to work with.

Edit: for non-US people:
5900460_orig.jpg

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a Canadian but I don't think it's possible to win back the Senate any time soon

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie won't be able to do shit with a GOP-majority Senate, so as much as I dislike him, I have to give it to Biden in this particular scenario.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sanders will use a ton of executive orders. The GOP will raise a stink and forget Trump used one every day

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Sanders. EO's matter.

Biden will be a disaster no matter what else we have. He's the wrong choice and one I'll never support.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone voting against a Democrat-controlled Senate doesn't understand how the government functions. But it's kind of a silly hypothetical regardless.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
So full control or not? what kind a question is this?!?!?!

EDIT: those five people need to come and explain their bullshit choice!!!

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Cant help but feel that Biden would have a Senate majority, and still make bad deals with republicans. So I'll go with the other.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Biden and Dem Senate.

It's a two year trifecta where we can pass major legislation, vs... zero years of major legislation.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
You'd have to be insane to concede control of the Senate to the GOP if given the option.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
In this theoretical scenario, if these were the only two options I would select Biden with the Dem senate. Even if less than ideal, things could actually get done.

Realistically GOP isn't dropping the senate for a long time. Any Dem presidency is going to have its hands tied.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
If you don't have the senate it's worthless. Mitch will continue to block everything and probably block any Supreme Court nominee. The senate is more important than the president. I'd just assume take Trump for 4 more years if democrats took control of the house and senate

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Whatever extra bits of executive orders Sanders would do versus Biden would be more than made up for by being able to appoint Dem judges and maybe pass a few bits of legislation.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
This false narrative going around that anyone bit Bernie is basically right wing is bullshit and dangerous. Of course I'd take Biden with a dem senate.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I'll take the Senate with ANY non-GOP president any day. Look at how much damage the Senate has done in the last few years. With the Senate comes the courts. The courts are going to screw us for decades thanks to McConnell's stealing of the Kavanaugh seat. That's STILL the biggest outrage of 2016. Worse than Trumps and Russia and emails. Barring his getting us into some ridiculous war before he leaves or something, nothing will have the negative impact long term like the GOP SCOTUS theft.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm a Canadian but I don't think it's possible to win back the Senate any time soon
I would tend to agree, but it depends how bad the impeachment gets for some of these senators. There is more than a small possibility that some of these GOP senators are going to look really really really bad by November.

But you're probably right. Tyranny of the minority continues.

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously am still lost as to why were having this hypothetical since it really isn't based on anything, but Bernie as president can still accomplish a shit ton without the senate majority (college debt relief, FP, Climate, etc)

This.
What do you even mean it's not based on anything? Both of these scenarios are absolutely plausible.

Even if they weren't, the point is to see if people would prefer a preferred president with less legislative power or a less preferred president with more power. I am at a loss as to how somebody could be at a loss.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie with a Republican Majority, but I think this is a false choice. It buys into the Biden narrative of Sanders costing the Democrats the Senate compared to him.

I reject this narrative.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What do you even mean it's not based on anything? Both of these scenarios are absolutely plausible.

Even if they weren't, the point is to see if people would prefer a preferred president with less legislative power or a less preferred president with more power. I am at a loss as to how somebody could be at a loss.
Both of those scenarios are plausible, as are their opposite. So why are we limiting it to only two options that don't seem to have any reason to be the only two available to us and aren't any more or less likely than the ones not listed (Biden presidency + GoP senate; Bernie Presidency + Dem Senate). Its an incredibly weird selection of choices and I really am not understanding the logic behind why its these two.

I am at a loss as to how you are not understanding why someone would be at a loss :P

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Biden means we're going to see a lot of bullshit from the GOP and the right wing media just like with Hillary and pushing for impeachment even if they're the minority party with the continued pushing of the Ukraine thing.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate this tendency of vilifying popular Dem candidates who are more conservative. Biden is not the devil/a Republican. Of fucking course we should choose Dem control of all three branches of government. The GOP controlling the Senate is a full-on cancer.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
The more fun hypothetical: if Bernie were to get the presidency but have a GOP controlled congress, thus stopping him from enacting most of the policies he wanted, how fast would his base turn on him in the midterms for getting nothing accomplished in the first two years?

OP
OP
shinra-bansho

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Both of those scenarios are plausible, as are their opposite. So why are we limiting it to only two options that don't seem to have any reason to be the only two available to us and aren't any more or less likely than the ones not listed (Biden presidency + GoP senate; Bernie Presidency + Dem Senate). Its an incredibly weird selection of choices and I really am not understanding the logic behind why its these two.
Because for a very left leaning board, the OP at least presumed it was the most interesting conflicted feelings toward the individual outcomes.

Unless you're someone that thinks this forum isn't all that left leaning, which is a weird take.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Because this some people care more about the candidate horse race than actually getting things done.
Bernie's approach to foreign policy is massively different than Joe Biden as Commander in Chief. This impacts so many different aspects of Domestic Policy as well that it is worth it.

Also, the poll is a false choice. Sanders with a Dem Majority, even if it was less of a Majority than with Biden would be a HUGE improvement over Biden.

Oct 27, 2017
President appoints the heads of the EPA, FCC, etc. Very important sectors of government when it comes to fixing all the shit that needs fixing. You think Biden is gonna appoint the more radical thinkers we need? He'll put business men in there and do bare minimum shit to say "look we care!"

Yeah Senate is gonna be an issue, but Sanders will actually fight them on this shit. Mobilize protests. He's not just gonna roll over to obstruction and use it as an excuse to not get shit done.

Also executive orders fuckin matter. And Sanders won't be afraid to use them like Obama was and Bedin definitely will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.