• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2017
The home secretary, Priti Patel, has described the Black Lives Matter protests that swept the UK last year as "dreadful" and said she did not agree with the gesture of taking the knee.

The protests, in which demonstrations took place in more than 260 towns and cities in June and July, were the largest anti-racism protests in Britain for decades.

They were sparked by the death of George Floyd while in the custody of police in Minneapolis. Outrage grew at the fate suffered by Floyd, whose heart stopped on 25 May as a police officer knelt on his neck for nearly nine minutes, according to a medical examiner, with solidarity protests held across the world.

There has since been a public reckoning with Britain's slavery and colonial past. Earlier this year, a Guardian investigation revealed that scores of tributes to slave traders, colonialists and racists had been taken down or were to be removed across the UK, with hundreds of others under review by local authorities and institutions.

However, during a radio interview on Friday morning, Patel said she did not support the protests. Asked if she would be prepared to take the knee, she replied: "No I wouldn't, and I would not have done at the time either.

"There are other ways in which people can express their opinions, protesting in the way that people did last summer was not the right way at all … I didn't support the protests. Those protests were dreadful."

She added: "We saw policing as well coming under a great deal of pressure from some of the protest. I don't support protest and I also did not support the protests that were associated …"

Interrupted, she sought to clarify that she was not criticising the right to protest but rather the "dreadful" action last year.

www.theguardian.com

Priti Patel describes Black Lives Matter protests as 'dreadful'

UK home secretary says she disagreed with last year’s protests as well as taking the knee

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Seems pretty easy to decide whether you are sympathetic towards "Black Lives Matter" or "Black Lives Don't Matter".

Wallers

May 9, 2020
I wonder what she or Rishi think of the farmers protests in India. I imagine her take on that is as shit as this.

Jul 19, 2020
Priti Patel seems to be chronically on the wrong side of damn near every issue I've ever heard her speak out about.

That statue of a slaver getting dumped in the water was fucking brilliant and I support any and all acts of public protest against such monuments. Lock 'em in a museum if you want to preserve them for their artistic or historic merit, but there's no need to keep them erected publicly in this day and age. Rest of the protests were in good faith and about important issues as well based on everything I heard about the British ones.

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
She's an abhorrent piece of shit. All of her opinions are hateful, spiteful and vile. All of the stuff that came out about her being a huge bully in the workplace was the least shocking news. She's so blinded by hate that she actively and strongly opposes supporting immigration, guess how her parents got here? Scumbag.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
You had me until this bit.

As I said in the other thread, Patel seems like the kind of person who'd tell someone off for running out of a burning building.

"I said WALK not RUN"
More likely to lock the doors and watch them burn. She is pure evil.

This may be considered thread whining but there is no point discussing anything she has to say because it will always be something terrible. A bit like how everything Trump says is always incredibly dumb. It isn't news.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I fail to understand how someone as hateful and vile as her hasn't already done something worthy of being put under immense pressure to be fired permenently.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
She's morally bankrupt like all Tories, but also with an extra tinge of vileness that sets her apart from others.

Status
Not open for further replies.