• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Last quarter Switch sold 2.46M units compared to 2.6M for the PS4, PS4 also outsold if for the entire last fiscal year. I think it's rather impressive that +5 years after launch, 2 years after Switch it is still on top, with the price still officially being at $300. Sony has stopped relying on price cuts to keep momentum and shifted system selling incentives to big fancy games, plus a mid gen upgrade. And while Sony is forecasting 16M units this year vs Nintendo's 18M, even if Sony has a history of underestimating their numbers and Nintendo overestimating, I think Switch will probably finally overtake it this year. Sony is expecting PS4 to be at +110M units this time next year, half a year before the PS5 is expected to launch. I think PS5 is gonna continue where the PS4 left off but I doubt it's gonna be as successful, Sony don't have some of the A team execs they started this gen with anymore.

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
Crazy how Sony hasn't even had a major price cut yet.

If they can drop it to $199 permanently it can have a second life.

Can they realistically cut it to $199?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the ps4 is great...not flawless, but great, with tons of great exclusives and consistent sony.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both consoles are doing great.

Switch is still in its growth phase (it's selling similar numbers as PS4 at the same point in its life) and PS4 is just starting to come down from its peak.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Unlikely with the upcoming Switch cheaper revision and that first party lineup.
Last year was pretty much "only" Pokemon and Smash Bros. as new main first party drivers and every big 3rdParty release skipping Switch.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Those are shipped numbers, but this still paints a picture that maybe the WW numbers are under represented when people are using mostly US and Japan figures.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Retailers don't purchase consoles that they don't have demand for. Shipped or sold doesn't make a difference here.

Not worldwide.
you think most retailers actually pay up front for this inventory?

in some cases yes but many more dont. They use open pos and consignment and pay weekly/monthly based on sell through, which is why sell through is more important.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 has had remarkable sales stability the past several years and is on pace to sell historic numbers rivaling PS2/DS. The Switch is still relatively new but is currently on a similar sales trajectory to the PS4 through its first 2 years. Both consoles are tremendous successes and represent huge comebacks for Sony and Nintendo.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do think the Switch will overtake the PS4, finally, after 6 years, but the fact that Sony has been market leader every single year of the generation so far is just incredible. PS4 continues to be the top console because it has a better combination of first-party games with major third-party support. Switch has first-party support (though in 2018 Sony first-party was better, to me) but still needs to improve with third-party support, outside of indies, and a consistent release schedule. Also, Nintendo is a decade behind Sony with regards to their service offering... Microsoft continues to lead the pack there.

Overall I feel like, in the current market, the fact that the console with the best game library is the top seller indicates a healthy market for consumers.?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This thread premise does not appear to be accurate and is also unlikely to produce anything other than console wars between two successful machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.