• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PS4 Switch or PS5?

• PS4 Switch

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • PS5

Votes: 294 81.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Let's say 2019 rolls around and Sony is planning on putting out one console for $400. You can either have a "PS Switch" that's essentially just a PS4 Pro in the form factor of the Switch or a brand new console, the PS5. For the sake of the argument assume you lose no features from the PS4 Pro by crunching it into a smaller form factor other than the ability to use physical discs. Unlike PSP Go Sony somehow figures out a way to digitize your existing physical library so you can play it on your new PS4 Switch. Let's also assume the PS4 Switch has a screen roughly the same size as the Switch but it's a beautiful OLED, similar to the original Vita.

For me, I'm taking the PS4 Switch all day every day. The portability and versatility of the Switch is the greatest new feature I've seen from consoles in awhile, and I'd value that over a new set of specs and a new game library.

What say you, ERA?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Seeing as I rarely take my Switch outside, PS5. That plus I need my powerhouse console that moves tech forward to complement my Switch.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Here we go again.

Sony specializes in powerful home consoles and consumers like that approach.
Personal preference -> Nintendo is the one that should make a non-portable powerful console if you ask me, not the other way around. Just saying.
(edited to clarify)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sony isn't making a dedicated portable/hardware.
Unless they can cram a PS4 to a portable device, they're not doing anything with portables.

Switch works because that's Nintendo's only system. Sony isn't going to not put out a Ps5

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
If it was actually a handheld PS4 Pro with "switch" capabilities, i'd probably rather have that for like 2 more years before the real PS5 hits.

But we all know a handheld Pro in 2019 is fantasyland, right? A handheld OG Xbox One is fantasyland.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why the hell would anyone want a crippled playstation and thus cede the entire market to microsoft?

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Switch type device wouldn't work for Sony and it's not going to happen, especially at the cost of a traditional home console.

Switch works for Nintendo because they left the power race 12 years ago.

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 in swirch form will be hard enough but Pro in 6 inch tablet is unrealistic and should be removed from thoughts until 3-5nm and chip stacking, likely 2022+

I'm down for a 7nm super slim PS4 in 2019 if it can get near the size of the PSVr breakout box

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No way, keep Sony and MS the same in pushing graphics and whatnot. We don't need two Switch type devices out here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
PS5. I don't care about portability that much and I'd rather have that raw power be put to better use in performance and spectacle. I'm fine with Nintendo going the Switch route from now on though, been having a lot of fun with my Switch these past 2 months.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
God no. I don't want any hybrid bullshit just give me a more powerful traditional console.

Let Nintendo have that market. Sony is not going to beat them at that game anyway just as they can't beat sony at theirs.

Deleted member 59

PS4 Switch next year, in a switch form factor with a battery that doesn't suck and is priced well is like nigh on impossible, so PS5 please.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love the Switch but I don't want a gimped PS, which is exactly what a hybrid would bring us.

No thanks. (Unless it's an entirely separate product from the PS5)

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I think i would invest in a hybrid ps4. I feel like consoles in its current form cant offer me much of anything when i have a gaming PC. Switch with its undock mode has kept me away from my PC, but yeah a portable ps4 will not happen now cause of our dated battery tech.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
PS5. I dont care at all about portability (I dont play games outside my home) so a Switch would be totally useless to me.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Here we go again.

Sony specializes in powerful home consoles and consumers like that approach.
Nintendo is the one that should make a non-portable powerful console if you ask me, not the other way around. Just saying.
Why would Nintendo go back to a failing model when they're currently selling Switches in record-breaking numbers?

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Just like we don't need every console to be graphics pushing powerhouse, we don't need every console to be a hybrid. Let Sony and Nintendo do what they do best.

Rhiwion

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
As much as I would love another portable Sony console (that doesn't bomb), I think they're out of this race. Even if they went ahead and released a PS Switch, Nintendo has that market covered already and they're not gonna sacrifice their high fidelity blockbuster titles to compete with Nintendo again in an area they've lost ages ago.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This PS4 Switch idea should die in fire, it's most likely not feasible with $400 + proper battery life even. Switch looks bad and perfomance bad on current gen AAA in my 4k set, I don't want that on my main platform. I rather they make a separate handheld with proper battery life unlike the Switch or just do a dedicated high pp remoteplay device capable of HDR and has a mu-mimo wifi ac. I don't like this hybrid thing because it usually takes the worse aspect of both, look at Switch it has shit battery life and weak perfomance as a 2017 console.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If they could do PS4 pro visuals in handheld form, then that for sure. I have no intention of going back to a stationary box style console ever again.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
Let the the two systems live harmoniously. We don't need another "me too" system. I think Nintendo did what they did to give themselves a market to thrive in. Sony's formula has been tried and true, so why have the shake the pot?

tsab

Nov 3, 2017
4TF portable in 2019 is not gonna happen in 2019, especially for $400, so PS5

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want Sony to keep chasing more powerful hardware here. That said, I'll cheat a bit and say I also want them to give us Remote Play 2.0 with it. Let me come close to a Switch without having to make compromises on hardware power.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Portable isn't on the table unless it can somehow run PS4 and at least reliably stream PS5 games

I dont think the tech is there

Siinova

Oct 29, 2017
I have a switch and I don't really use it's portability now. When I'm on the road I don't really think about or even have an urge to play games so PS5 for me. This might not have been my answer when I was younger but it definitely is now.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer playing my Switch docked so i'd rather PS5 stayed as it should, connected to a tv.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
PS5. Come on.

Ideally Sony would also release a digital only PS4 Portable but that probably isn't possible.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Ah the weekly thread of nonsense. The PS5 will not be portable and the vast majority don't want a portable PS5. It's really that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.