• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty impressive considering the PS5 still quite supply constrain
The PlayStation 5 is the fastest-selling console in U.S. history by dollar sales, but the second best-selling hardware platform in February 2021, with Nintendo Switch continuing to lead the market.

The NPD Group released its monthly report covering best-selling consoles, video games, and more for February 2021 in the U.S. and the Nintendo Switch leads the charge as the best-selling console for the month, with the PS5 behind it in second. However, the PS5 did overtake a record previously held by the Switch when it became the fastest-selling console in U.S. history after the NPD Group tracked "total dollar sales after four months in market."
www.ign.com

PS5 Is the Fastest-Selling Console in U.S. History for Dollar Sales - IGN

The PlayStation 5 is the fastest-selling console in U.S. history by dollar sales, taking the record from Nintendo Switch.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The PS5 is the fastest selling console with a 5 in its name in Prussian Franks.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Very specific timing of, "total dollar sales after four months in market".

Also, not inflation adjusted.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
This number would be way higher if Sony appropriately priced the PS5. They lost a lot of money by not charging like $699 given how limited supply there is.

Darkader

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Only managed to get a ps5 from Very the other day. And it's now despatched so hopefully will have it in my hands in the next few days.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I don't know what so confusing they made alot of money on the limited supply of PS5 consoles.

This number would be way higher if Sony appropriately priced the PS5. They lost a lot of money by not charging like $699 given how limited supply there is.
I hope you not series, I am going to assume now lol

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I don't know what so confusing they made alot of money on the limited supply of PS5 consoles.
it's not confusing, it's a metric used in a lot of sales threads online and here.
Dollar sales is hardly new. But hey, can't push the doomed narrative without dismissing actual metrics and facts.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017

I hope you not series, I am going to assume now lol

Why would I not be serious? Average ebay sold price for the disc edition is still well north of $700. It was closer to $1000 for a long time.

A $700 PlayStation would be abysmal for mindshare long-term, which is why they didn't do something like that.

I suppose so but thats still a lot of money that ended up in the hands of scalpers

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
total dollar sales after four months in market

This is some hyper-specific data slicing, but okay. Does this kind of information matter to anyone outside of providing ammo for platform warring? I feel like there's a problem if this elicits even a mild emotional response from someone.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
it's not confusing, it's a metric used in a lot of sales threads online and here.
Dollar sales is hardly new. But hey, can't push the doomed narrative without dismissing actual metrics and facts.
Yeah I see christ. It what's NPD uses and its them that said this its not going to change the success here.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Would love to see data that compares the PS5 performance at $499 compared to PS3 at $499.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The responses of this thread. Damn, Ps5 success really bothers some poeple lol

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I'm old enough to remember when they laughed at the idea of Bugsnax selling PS5s. Who's laughing now?

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
I got salt overdose scrolling this thread.

Amazing achievement considering how supply constrained it has been.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
You know why have to sell actual consoles to get this result If this was so easy the PS3 will have been the top seller

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Edit: My PR statement has been noted that it came from NPD.

Original statement: "By dollar LOL. While I love my PS5, this is some hard PR crap being pushed."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.