• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So one thing I noticed recently was that on average PS5 games tend to have smaller download/install sizes than their equivalent Xbox Series X counterparts, often much smaller.

I'm not sure exactly why this is, though I assume it's an advantage of PS5's Kraken compression. Either way, the results from a bunch of games I looked over are interesting nonetheless.

I know file sizes can differ a lot based on region, DLC, language packs and so on, but these are the sizes I personally got on my UK PS5 and Series X, with standard editions of each of these games where available.

----

Assassin's Creed Valhalla
PS5: 41.79 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 72.47 GB
Xbox SX uses 73% more space

Control Ultimate Edition
PS5: 25.75 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 50.5 GB
Xbox SX uses 94% more space

Resident Evil Village
PS5: 27.40 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 30.2 GB
Xbox SX uses 10% more space

Marvel's Avengers
PS5: 46.73 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 116.59 GB
Xbox SX uses 149% more space

Subnautica
PS5: 3.76 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 8.31 GB
Xbox SX uses 121% more space

Subnautica Below Zero
PS5: 6.18 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 10.72 GB
Xbox SX uses 74% more space

Crash Bandicoot 4
PS5: 20.05 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 28 GB
Xbox SX uses 40% more space

Biomutant
PS5: 11.25 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 13.56 GB
Xbox SX uses 21% more space

Star Wars Squadrons
PS5: 20 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 24.91 GB
Xbox SX uses 25% more space

Watch Dogs Legion
PS5: 35.73 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 61.68 GB
Xbox SX uses 73% more space

Outriders
PS5: 46.17 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 51.26 GB
Xbox SX uses 11% more space

Immortals Fenyx Rising
PS5: 22.31 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 32.95 GB
Xbox SX uses 48% more space

MLB The Show Standard Edition
PS5: 59.19 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 87.1 GB
Xbox SX uses 47% more space no

Dirt 5
PS5: 50.92 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 62.39 GB
Xbox SX uses 23% more space

Tony Hawk's
PS5: 21.04 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 31.9 GB
Xbox SX uses 52% more space

----

Across these games, Series X/S titles use up an average of 57.4% more storage space than their PS5 equivalents.

In other words based at least on this overall average, 1,043 GB would be required on a Series X/S, to be equivalent to the PS5's 667 GB of free space, when in reality a Series X has 802 GB free. Though obviously the results would or could vary tremendously game to game, as some games show very little storage difference, whilst others show stark ones.

Either way, it seems the PS5's advanced compression is coming in pretty handy in terms of storage for games.

Valet Jay

Mar 20, 2018
A similar topic was posted not too long ago and it appeared that one was inaccurate since the individual used information based on the MS Store. Did you check the install size with an actual Xbox?

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Squadrons didn't have a PS5 version. Also, what happened with Avengers? That's a significant delta.

Returners

Oct 25, 2017
Subnautica is only 3-4GBs on the PS5, which was ~10+GBs on the PS4. I was shocked thinking if I downloaded the right game.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Yep I remember people were skeptical that game sizes would not get bigger this gen, but so far it's been really good. Of course, it'll be interesting to see whether that remains later in the gen, too.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They are smaller in comparison to PS4 versions of games too.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
A similar topic was posted not too long ago and it appeared that one was inaccurate since the individual used information based on the MS Store. Did you check the install size with an actual Xbox?

These are OPs own numbers from their consoles.

Edit: Although you are right, it's not clear if these are just from the store or installed on their console.

OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

File sizes are always different on the actual systems vs the store as on your system you get additional patches, updates etc that can alter things. But there have been multiplatform games I owned on both systems (for example Valhalla) which showed similar, though not exact differences.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
i welcome this change, compress it more please if you can

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Faster SSD means less need for duplicated assets in storage? I dunno probably pulled it out of my ass

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
That's a good analysis OP, can't say I ever looked into file sizes. But, they certainly help with SSD space at a premium.

It's kinda ironic that PS5 with smaller SSD can hold more games due to better compression compared to Series X, when storage space was one of things in its favor pre-launch.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Cerny strikes again. No one can out class the massive unit.

Saving internal fixed ps5 drives by the million.

Oct 27, 2017
File sizes are always different on the actual systems vs the store as on your system you get additional patches, updates etc that can alter things. But there have been multiplatform games I owned on both systems (for example Valhalla) which showed similar, though not exact differences.
Another question; why do you have so many games on both consoles? I understand gamepass accounts for some on the series x but that would mean you still bought them on the PS5. Are you staring up a DF competitor site?

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
nice! i really wanna see those numbers once crossgen is dropped but i'm hopeful.
i was dreading 150gb games becoming the norm this gen but that seems not the case.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I'd love to see an average of all games with a native PS5\Series version and not these somewhat cherry picked examples.

Would be funny if the % difference is was bigger than the storage difference.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Faster SSD means less need for duplicated assets in storage? I dunno probably pulled it out of my ass

If there's a difference, even taking things like 'other' into account etc, then it's probably due to the hardware decompression available on each. Kraken vs standard zlib. The former should make smaller files on average than the latter. File duplication is about seek time on mechanical hard drives, which won't be a factor on either.

There has been much talk of RDO texture compression on each platform but I'm not sure how widely deployed that is yet. If it's not being used much you could possibly expect even smaller installs in the future (on both platforms).

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Another question; why do you have so many games on both consoles? I understand gamepass accounts for some on the series x but that would mean you still bought them on the PS5. Are you staring up a DF competitor site?

As someone that uses my PS5 as my main console instead of my Series X, I have bought several games (Outriders for example) on my PS5 after trying them on my Series X with GP. Since I have GP for Xbox exclusives it's nice to be able to try some stuff I am on the fence about first and then if I like it, get it on my platform of choice. So I have done a ton of comparisons because of that myself. Just for my own personal curiosity.

OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PS5 games also takes up significant amount of 'other' storage on my console

Presumably the Series X has something similar, because as far as I understand it, it has a 1TB drive wheras only 802 GB is actually usable. I'm guessing both reserve space for their OS specific features, eg Quick Resume, Rest, updates etc, though the PS5 appears to reserve more after the fact.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Both SSD's are more than fast enough to only need 1 copy of an asset.

What we're probably seeing is games where there's a small difference being down to kraken vs zlib compression.

For games where there's a huge difference it's likely unoptimised packaging for the Series consoles. That could be down to PlayStation being the lead platform therefore getting a bit more attention or small things like simply building a pc/Xbox target build which needs duplication for the PC side or not taking the time to optimise package layout.

darksider321

Dec 8, 2020
I do wonder whether the games on the Xbox Series console have to account assets to support both Series S and Series X which is why it is bigger in file size in comparison to Ps5 only having one version to optimize the space in the file size?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wow. Interesting to see it laid out in direct comparison like this because I just assumed Smart Delivery was generally creating consumer-friendly parity.

BotFixer

Mar 16, 2021
Are the series consoles automatically utilizing BCPack and the other compression tech yet or is it something devs have to implement themselves or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.