• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I saw this email this morning since I'm a fig backer of Psychonauts 2. This part stood out to me:

What resolutions and framerates will different platforms run at?
  • We are still confirming some of these details, and will do our best to make each platform runs as best it can, at the highest supported resolution. The one thing we can confirm is that HDR will only be available on Xbox Series X and S.

As someone who backed the PlayStation version years ago I find this unacceptable. The Microsoft acquisition of the studio should not result in removing features from other platforms. I am very disappointed with Double Fine at this time.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck, Double Fine? You better not be charging the same price for the game on both consoles and you BETTER give some kind of payback to the people who crowdfunded the PS4 version if you're gonna deliver a subpar product to everyone not on Xbox.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I saw this email this morning since I'm a fig backer of Psychonauts 2. This part stood out to me:

As someone who backed the PlayStation version years ago I find this unacceptable. The Microsoft acquisition of the studio should not result in removing features from other platforms. I am very disappointed with Double Fine at this time.
Has it been confirmed that these were included at one point, and subsequently removed? I mean it sounds like that even the Xbox One versions will not have HDR support, with it exclusive to Next Gen consoles.

Edit: Ah it could also be Auto HDR, which would explain why it is Next Gen exclusive on the Xbox side of things.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Maybe for Xbox it's only on Series..? I would hope?

Though even that would be ridiculous since only the OG Xbox One doesn't have HDR output.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Nah this is a mistake like that Outer Worlds snafu

Tim wouldn't do this lol

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018

Was HDR announced when you backed it? If not, how do you know they "removed it"? I doubt they did, more likely they didn't add it. Maybe they are using that Auto HDR tech or something which is Xbox only.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
Is this because of Auto HDR? Maybe they didn't implemented HDR in the game and only Xbox will have is because of Auto HDR.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it sounds like auto hdr given its not even supported on xbox one or 1x and auto hdr is only available on series x|s

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's probably powered by AutoHDR (which is why it's on series S/X only)
I think developers have to option to opt their game into the AutoHDR conversion by default as a "native" solution and it doesn't flag as AutoHDR.
Control does this I believe .

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox One doesn't feature HDR either so as people are saying, sounds like they're just relying on auto HDR rather than taking away features from other platforms.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Considering that HDR is not exactly something you advertise as "exclusive", it's probably as simple as them not implementing it originally and the Xbox team taking it on to help. I highly doubt there will be adds touting HDR but feel free to quote me if I'm wrong in the end.

Edit: As above, probably just that the Auto HDR feature is doing the heavy lifting, which... PS doesn't offer.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the PS5 version native? Maybe it's a limitation of backwards compatibility. I highly doubt it's a deliberate move to make other versions worse.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Is this because of Auto HDR? Maybe they didn't implemented HDR in the game and only Xbox will have is because of Auto HDR.

This seems the most likely. It would make no sense to implement HDR and only use it on a single platform unless there was a reason for it and it not being implemented by the devs but automagically is the only way this makes sense.

Dec 11, 2017
The Microsoft acquisition of the studio should not result in removing features from other platforms.
You're making an assumption here. It might just be using Microsoft's auto-HDR, which PlayStation doesn't offer.

Also think big picture for a moment; Microsoft basically funded an extra year of development for this game. All platforms and players benefited from that.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
They missed the chance to announce it with a big "HDR Exclusive" at the conference. Shame.

(It will come soon for every other platform that supports HDR, you know it. Unless of course it's auto HDR)

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
I backed the PlayStation version and it doesn't bother me since I turn off HDR. But I can see how this would rub people the wrong way. Any word on if this was a decision made before the MS acquisition or was this always the plan?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh well if it's using Auto HDR that's equally disappointing, considering how bright and colorful the game is. Sure would've looked nice on my TV...

Not sure why we're getting games in 2021 that don't support HDR.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
for people saying auto-hdr
does auto-hdr even work for series-version of games? isnt that a bc only feature

Status
Not open for further replies.