• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 34239

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Edit: I must give a round of applause to the very select group of members who read the thread and didn't jump in with hot takes. I know it's certainly hard not to do but, you deserve to be commended. **insert clap emoji**

One of the things I appreciated about Nintendo's introduction of the Switch was their desire to chase after and capture a mature audience in addition to their current audience. I'm not a huge Nintendo fan mainly because I didn't grow up with their consoles but, the value proposition of the switch was and still is quite intriguing to me. For the first time in a while(since the gamecube), Nintendo had released hardware that I'd consider buying for myself. We've seen the likes of Doom and Wolfenstein on the switch and those efforts are appreciated. I picked up a switch shortly after launch and sold it shortly after. For me, it was a fantastic piece of hardware plagued by some really terrible missteps.

Let's talk about the hardware, OS, apps and network related features. The hardware itself is well made in my opinion. The only issue I have with it is the size of the bezel and the use of the TX1 chip. I understand that Nintendo got a good deal on those chips but, there was a better variant that was available at the time of purchase that would provide better longevity to the base model. Less than 2 years into it's life-cycle and the hardware is already struggling. This decision to me reeks of old Nintendo and it's starkly contrasts with the new Nintendo image they're trying to portray. The OS itself, while snappy is quite lacking in comparison to any other modern device on the market. No local save backups? What? Even the older consoles provided this functionality. No inbuilt microphone on a portable device? No camera on the device? No OS level party system? Shocking to say the least. If the lack of OS features left you scratching your head then the poor network features will leave you laughing hysterically in sheer disbelief. Let's make one thing clear here, nobody was asking Nintendo to rebuild the wheel. We're simply asking them to copy already existing features existed on other consoles. In 2013, Sony launched the PS4 with a share button to capture interesting moments. Microsoft brought that feature over shortly after. Nintendo launched the switch in 2017 and they couldn't even learn from the Wii U or the PS4 or XB1, or PS3, or 360, or OG Xbox when it comes to voice chat? I don't know what to say. Then we can look at the subpar app selection for a mobile handheld device with some going on to defend the move by Nintendo smh.

All that would be forgiven if the software was on point. Nintendo make fantastic games and their emphasis on delivering polished experiences must be commended. Unfortunately, again, it's back to the missteps. Microsoft announced Xbox One backwards compatibility approximately 2 years prior to the release of the Switch and Nintendo failed to learn anything from this experience. Here, we have a device capable of unifying Nintendo's entire catalog from the NES, to the N64, to the Gamecube and their failure capitalize on the opportunity has been disappointing to say the least. The device is capable of emulating pretty much everything up to the Wii and, they've instead chosen to forgo this to nickel and dime their fanbase for sparse content. Super Mario Strikers on the switch? Only if you hack the device, smh. In an Era where the platform is more important than the hardware, Nintendo has failed to learn any lessons from the industry as a whole. Finally, I'll touch on the games. Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are fantastic titles but it's not enough. I mean, Nintendo has to at some point recognize that their fans grow up? You can play Mario Kart as a kid and have fun and the same is true when you play it as an adult. The same can be said for Botw, Odyssey and other Nintendo franchise but we cannot ignore the simple truth that these games tend to be aimed at younger audiences. In my opinion, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that and Nintendo has truly mastered the ability to make a title fun for all ages. I do think it's time for Nintendo to take some risks. It's time for them to step out of their comfort zone and start to tackle mature subject matter. They badly need new IP's and I feel that Nintendo has the ability to deliver their own unique takes on different mature subject matter. In an industry where being mature usually equates to excessive violence for violence sake, I do believe Nintendo has the capability to deliver content that is ground breaking while straying from the norms.

I mean, it's just me but I feel like Nintendo are failing to maximize their potential in all facets of the business. During my short tenure as a switch owner, I purchased hundreds of dollars worth of digital content and I'd love to be able to return back to the platform. Unfortunately, I cannot rationalize the purchase of another switch. To many, these complaints are mere annoyances or non issues but to me, they are symptoms of a very "unfocused" and "immature" Nintendo. I could be wrong but as I sit here typing this, I can't help but ask myself one simple question. Will Nintendo ever grow up? One of the signs of maturity is the "doing the right thing at the right time" and what is right is entirely subjective in this case but, I'm still waiting on Nintendo to "grow up".

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for skimming but you bought a Switch, spent hundreds of dollars on software and then sold it in the span of a few months and you're asking if Nintendo should grow up?

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
In regards to the content of their games... why would they need to? They serve a market that most major players in the industry frankly severely overlook. They do what they do and they do it well.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest, outside of pure software Nintendo is kind of a shitshow. The fact that the Switch is even a half decent piece of hardware is a miracle. As far as M rated content, they have Bayonetta, and it seems like that side of their business is slowly growing, both internally or through partnerships. I don't think you'll ever see an M rated game from internal EPD though.

Also, people are going to completely misunderstand this thread by only reading the title.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They will never grow up.

Unlike Toys R Us, Their business is successful.

🥁
I'm here all night folks!

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
No. They are all ages brand.

This. They came from the ethos of Family Computer and that has been a resounding success for them over and over again. It is generally regarded that they are in one of their best patches of form. Voice chat is not important. A camera is not important. A load of media apps are not important. It just gives you some good games, a streamlined experience and allows you to get on with it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Sorry for skimming but you bought a Switch, spent hundreds of dollars on software and then sold it/got rid of it in the span of a few months and you're asking if Nintendo should grow up?
That's kinda of how it works with digital content? You purchase things and you own them forever and with new games costing $79.99? I'd love to see where you're going with this because I'd hate to jump to conclusions. It's really weird that instead of addressing the content of my posts, you've instead asked a question that takes us on a tangent in a direction that is not remotely related to the content of the OP.

OP
OP

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
This. They came from the ethos of Family Computer and that has been a resounding success for them over and over again. It is generally regarded that they are in one of their best patches of form. Voice chat is not important. A camera is not important. It just gives you some good games, a streamlined experience and allows you to get on with it.
Being a brand for all ages has nothing to do with growing up or even addressing the points in my post. It's possible to be a brand for all ages and still be "mature". Disney is a brand for all ages and they are quite mature so I don't really understand this line of reasoning at all.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Nintendo need to if they can work well with third parties. It's good for first parties to carve a niche that their third party partners don't operate in as much. Nintendo's good at what it does, and they push the boundaries within that space. That leaves plenty of room for everyone else to do the same for the areas they work in.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Nintendo should be Nintendo always, missteps included. I also feel that you see personal preferences in a gaming system as an absolutre necesity. It's perfectly fine if the Switch or other Nintendo isn't your prefered brand of hardware, but growing up? Somehow I feel Nintendo is the most mature brand on the market right now, catering a diverse catalogue to people who simply don't have time to spend hours in front of a TV.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You all really can't help it, can you lmao.

If your entire post boils down to "doing the right thing at the right time" then it'd be hard to argue Nintendo has done anything but, when the Switch sales are outpacing the Wii with a hardcore-centric lineup, and the franchises are breaking their own records for best sellers on the Switch.

If you just want more over-the-shoulder, third person storytelling, just get or stick with a PS4. Nintendo gains nothing by emulating the competition at this point.

Sorry for skimming but you bought a Switch, spent hundreds of dollars on software and then sold it in the span of a few months and you're asking if Nintendo should grow up?

lmaoooooo

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Finally, I'll touch on the games. Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are fantastic titles but it's not enough. I mean, Nintendo has to at some point recognize that their fans grow up? You can play Mario Kart as a kid and have fun and the same is true when you play it as an adult. The same can be said for Botw, Odyssey and other Nintendo franchise but we cannot ignore the simple truth that these games tend to be aimed at younger audiences. In my opinion, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that and Nintendo has truly mastered the ability to make a title fun for all ages. I do think it's time for Nintendo to take some risks. It's time for them to step out of their comfort zone and start to tackle mature subject matter. They badly need new IP's and I feel that Nintendo has the ability to deliver their own unique takes on different mature subject matter. In an industry where being mature usually equates to excessive violence for violence sake, I do believe Nintendo has the capability to deliver content that is ground breaking while straying from the norms.

I don't understand this at all. What do you consider "mature"?

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I have literally everyone else as a source of "mature" games. Nintendo doesn't have to satisfy my every gaming desire singlehandedly.

Oct 26, 2017
This is really rude. He made a purchase decision that's all.

That's kinda of how it works with digital content? You purchase things and you own them forever and with new games costing $79.99? I'd love to see where you're going with this because I'd hate to jump to conclusions. It's really weird that instead of addressing the content of my posts, you've instead asked a question that takes us on a tangent in a direction that is not remotely related to the content of the OP.

The entire OP boils down to "something must be wrong with this company because it doesn't do things the way I like".

Sounds like you bought the system based on a hope for services that were never guaranteed to you and later weren't happy with it when they failed to materialize.

That's all fine but it has nothing to do with the company being "mature" or not.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Gutter tier thread.

Nintendo are doing amazing at the moment. Great hardware sales, great software sales, great reviews.

If anyone needs to grow up then it's yourself.

"Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are fantastic titles but it's not enough. I mean, Nintendo has to at some point recognize that their fans grow up?"

I mean I think that's the worst thing I've ever read on this forum.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The entire OP boils down to "something must be wrong with this company because it doesn't do things the way I like".

Sounds like you bought the system based on a hope for services that were never guaranteed to you and later weren't happy with it when they failed to materialize.

That's all fine but it has nothing to do with the company being "mature" or not.
THIS comment is totally fine. Your first comment was just a rude hot take.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I sure hope not, and fail to see how BOTW is aimed at younger audiences, the game can be downright brutal.

I turn 30 in a few months and I appreciate the software selection they've curated. "Mature" to me, is being able to 1cc Ikaruga, Metal Slug or one of the beat 'em ups on the platform. I'm not a pre-teen anymore, I don't need an edgy power fantasy to feel catered to.

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Nintendo are what they are. If you can't accept that by now, that's on you, not them. Not everything revolves around you.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting threads since TGA / around Smash's launch. Something about Nintendo just makes people get their crazies on lol.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
blood

Oh, so mature!

violence

Yeah, that's not for kids!

no colors other than gray

THIS is for ADULTS

OP
OP

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Gutter tier thread.

Nintendo are doing amazing at the moment. Great hardware sales, great software sales, great reviews.

If anyone needs to grow up then it's yourself.

"Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are fantastic titles but it's not enough. I mean, Nintendo has to at some point recognize that their fans grow up?"

I mean I think that's the worst thing I've ever read on this forum.

Is it truly the worst thing you've read on this forum? Somehow, I don't believe you and to answer your question, it's no secret that Nintendo struggle with keeping their fans in their ecosystem at least as it relates to consoles. It is why you see such variation and fluctuation in hardware numbers between home consoles. You might refute it as much as you want but the data does not lie.

-PyramidSong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I agree with everything except the part of the games. I know what you mean, but Nintendo fans wants exactly what Nintendo gives.

Except the Metroid Prime 4 trailer

jk😜

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
They are all ages brand and they use nostalgia as a big psychological factor and it works amazingly in their favor.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if I was rude but we've seen arguments like the OP's over and over and over again.
On a gaming forum people are expected to be at least a little bit familiar with how gaming consoles and console manufacturers work.
Well I appreciate you apologising, but now it's my turn to apologise because it's not really my place to call people out for being a bit rude.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nerd rage.

These types always get really agitated when Nintendo are in the spot light and doing well.
We've already reached "I don't Switch should get a port of ______ because it might hold the other versions back!" level of concern trolling. Nintendo doing well is really the gift that keeps on giving. We get more games as a result AND we get to see grown ass adults have meltdowns over toys.

OP
OP

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
I sure hope not, and fail to see how BOTW is aimed at younger audiences, the game can be downright brutal.

I turn 30 in a few months and I appreciate the software selection they've curated. "Mature" to me, is being able to 1cc Ikaruga, Metal Slug or one of the beat 'em ups on the platform. I'm not a pre-teen anymore, I don't need an edgy power fantasy to feel catered to.
Firstly, I would say that being mature does not necessarily mean abandoning the things that are the ethos of the company. As I mentioned earlier to another poster, Disney is a company that I'd equate with Nintendo and I'd consider them to be quite mature in the way they go about their business. Finally, the text in bold? Poor form man....

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Is it truly the worst thing you've read on this forum? Somehow, I don't believe you and to answer your question, it's no secret that Nintendo struggle with keeping their fans in their ecosystem at least as it relates to consoles. It is why you see such variation and fluctuation in hardware numbers between home consoles. You might refute it as much as you want but the data does not lie.

Well at the moment I'm seeing data that eats Xbox One alive and gives PS4 a run for its money.

I'm seeing some of the best games they've ever made. Games of the generation.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
No. They are all ages brand.

You didn't read the OP, did you?

It's not a content related thread

This was not warranted either. You telling the OP ge should grow up for not liking the Switch? For selling it? For buying games on it?

Nice hot take

Status
Not open for further replies.