• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Hey lads let's talk about a little problem going on era lately considering how so terribly often our forum has been attacked by racism, sinophobia, transphobia, and all manner of hateful shit either slipping by lately or getting a slap on the wrist. I'm genuinely upset and shocked this is STILL occurring and honestly, the last straw was last night. While I respect staff greatly I am aware of how easy it is to make mistakes with moderation practices and decisions however erasure of wrongdoing is where I draw the line. I genuinely feel like era is suffering for these improper decisions pushing so many members off the forum and into private groups on discord which has lead the forum to both stagnate and get worse with protecting the groups that are still here. The lack of protection for minority communities is very clear and it's hard for me to consider era as a safe space for them when I see these issues at the forefront of the forums especially recently. I understand how difficult it is to bridge the gap with everyone and I know that it's difficult to fix these issues overnight which I am not asking for an instant magical fix right away. I do however want to open a dialogue to fix these issues in a way that is positive and can help the community as a whole instead of what occurred the other night as a recent example of the problems I am seeing recently.

example from last night

the original ban message read transphobia and racism and was changed to inflammatory thread derailment despite clear uses of racism and transphobia in his posts throughout the thread. This is not ok we do not give bigots a slap on the wrist no matter what and there should be no exceptions to the rule. We all know he's gonna be back one month from now all fine and dandy with no consequences for his actions how is this ok? I'm sorry I am getting so angry over this but it's straight-up upsetting to see on the forum. This was not the thread for transphobia when this was a thread about a really shitty thing Manchin did to hurt the trans community.

Like what is era doing for Asian era right now considering how rampant Sinophobia there has been so much anti-Asian sentiment on these forums starting with the epic games store threads and how ridiculous it is that they are continuing period. I am also aware of the heavy toll this has had on Asian staff to the point where many people have been pushed off the forums by hateful people on the forum as a whole. (this is not ok either) What I want to do is to bring attention to these issues and ask for the community as a whole to pitch in and help get rid of these issues so that we can have a safe space on these forums for those that are still here. I especially take offense to all this when I have an Asian sister and I do not take these issues kindly. Furthermore, the constant console warring and fearmongering on the store has to stop because this is all tied into sinophobic behavior also the internet as a whole can do a whole lot less with this kind of behavior and needs to stop.

example of that

this entire thread is littered with it. The article itself is essentially fearmongering and pushing everyone on even more anti-Chinese sentiment. This is not ok.

This post in particular just blatantly being out there with its racism and I find this to be the most abhorrent because it is something that has been barely policed on this forum for a long time causing untold stress and has lead to many on this forum to leave due to it. This absolutely has to stop.

In conclusion, I am sorry for having to bring this all up but for the sake of era as a whole we do need to absolutely stop these problems from occurring on the site as a whole It does not make era a safe space and also actively spits in the eye era stood for when we left that other place. Please we are better than this don't let this place become an echo chamber and the minorities of era to pull out completely we must protect them keep the forum safe. This means

1. Reporting posts that promote racism homophobia transphobia sinophobia and other hateful bigoted posts that crop up on the forums.

2. become more proactive in community engagement and talk to your friends about what you can do about stopping racism look up resources on approved sites and please spread awareness this is such a major issue that the only way to stop it is to fight for it.

3.Stand up! Not just understanding the issue helps anyone it's important to take a stand against injustice wherever you see it no matter what happens. We all get one life on this world and it is so important to treat each other with respect as it's such a key thing that many of us need to remember.

4.Do not take advantage of our pain this is not the place to relitigate bans or restart old wars. What is important right now is making sure minority voices are heard and can speak out against these issues.

5. please respect staff and do not attack them as this is not helpful or productive as a whole. I am aware that staff is always working on the forum and is always working on ways to better the site. Criticism is ok as long as it's constructive.

6. Do not make driveby posts it is disrespectful and rude.

7. Please please please do not just play lip services to our communities as we are all struggling.

Finally, please if anyone else has anything to add feel free to because right now we all need to work together to solve these problems on the forum as a whole. I hope many on-era can stand with me. Thank you for your time and I hope this thread is constructive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Official Staff Communication
This is the sort of thing that should go in the feedback thread. In addition, using specific posts like this is not ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.