• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rate the order of the first party studios of these companies (best to worst)

• Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo

Votes: 28 8.6%
  • Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft

Votes: 102 31.4%
  • Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony

Votes: 56 17.2%
  • Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft

Votes: 86 26.5%
  • Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony

Votes: 31 9.5%
  • Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo

Votes: 22 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm really hoping things don't get console-warry here, but let's see how it goes.

Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are the 3 major platform holders for console gaming and each has a great stable of first party studios. Now I won't tell you what qualifications to use in judging the studios of each company, each person will have to decide that on their own. So as it stands right now, how would you rate the first party studio lineup of each platform holder from best to worst?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This will get locked fast, ha.

But personally it's Nintendo >>> Microsoft >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sony as far as first party goes.

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo, then everyone else.

Sony was close at one time, but pretty much lost my interest when they focused on Western games.

Irony is that if MS does focus on Japan in the future, that would put Sony to distant third place.

Last edited:

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Whatever has the least shit going on with them. So Sony's got Insomniac and Naughty Dog and Nintendo's got Mercury Steam. What skeletons does Xbox got?

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
I could be wrong but Nintendo's main strength is not only on their main studios but also on their close partners - that represents a big part of their library.
So since we're talking about first party studios I'll put Microsoft over Nintendo even though most of their new studios still have to release a game under the XGS.

Sony, MS, Nintendo.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Sega > Nintendo >>>>>> Atari

Really though - for me, Nintendo >>> Microsoft > Sony

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
You need to put more effort to the thread, OP, and at least put the list of all the first party studios they have lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
For me it's always been Nintendo, then Sony, then Microsoft. At the end of the day I will always own Nintendo platforms because of Mario, Zelda and Smash Bros. That's just the way of the world. Sony has really fallen off for me lately by becoming almost exclusively focused on AAA western games and completely ignoring the RPG genre in general, but Microsoft hasn't done enough to gain ground on Sony for me, so things haven't really changed meaningfully in recent years.

AhiKuma

Banned
Sep 28, 2021
Bethesda>>Sony>>>Microsoft>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nintendo

I know Bethesda is now under Microsoft but I still separate them from the rest of XGS, I also liked a lot of their output more.

Sony is without a doubt the most talented of the group with having the best developers you can possibly have but a lot of their games I'm not huge on with the exception of God of War, Spider-Man and Death Stranding. I prefer multiplayer games so PS3 era was the best and the lack of compelling multiplayer games from Sony haven't kept me as a fan as I use to be.

Nintendo frankly I'm just tired of their shit and they definitely lost a lot of quality in the last decade.

Last edited:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft.

I just don't personally care much for Nintendo, and especially Microsoft's output.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft and Nintendo might be a toss up for me. Psychonauts 2 was EXTREMELY good, plus they now have Bethesda and Forza Horizon is fantastic. Nintendo has Breath of the Wild, though.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Sony > Nintendo > Microsoft for me with Xbox being my primary platform because of how much I engage with third party games lol.

I love all three so the single > between each is meant to symbolize a small gap between each compared to folks' multiples for emphasis. Sony is kind of what I consider my home base with its studios and exclusives, though—it's the studio portfolio that's historically excited me the most. I've just been using my Xbox more since Xbox One X because of third party/Game Pass and that's continued into this generation between the PS5 and Series X.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Just personal preference. Sony (SSM, GG, IG, ND, SP) >>>>> Microsoft (Arkane, think I'll be interested in other studios in the future but need to play their games first) > Nintendo (Mario/Zelda teams)

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever has the least shit going on with them. So Sony's got Insomniac and Naughty Dog and Nintendo's got Mercury Steam. What skeletons does Xbox got?
I doubt most would consider a third party partner as a first party studio, I think you'd have to put an asterisk for that.

343 and Tango (when it was not owned by Microsoft as far as we know) have both seemingly had issues with crunch but it's unclear how bad either of them were or have been. Maybe some would put an asterisk next to Mixer, though it wasn't part of Xbox, it was part of the same overall division within Microsoft and overseen by the same executive team.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Don't even own any Nintendo platforms but still voted for them as the best. Microsoft are still in last place for now but they have some potentially huge hits on the way, Starfield in particular could change everything.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I doubt most would consider a third party partner as a first party studio, I think you'd have to put an asterisk for that.

343 and Tango (when it was not owned by Microsoft as far as we know) have both seemingly had issues with crunch but it's unclear how bad either of them were or have been. Maybe some would put an asterisk next to Mixer, though it wasn't part of Xbox, it was part of the same overall division within Microsoft and overseen by the same executive team.
Ahh thanks. Didn't know that

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo > Sony > MS

Nintendo is an easy number 1, and MS is a distant number 3. I can see MS closing the gap once these acquisitions they've made start producing Xbox games. But for now, it's the typical Halo and Forza, one of those I really don't care about.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Sony > Nintendo > Microsoft

Can't remember the last good Nintendo first party game I played

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Nintendo first, with a handsome lead.

Microsoft second, they've really improved in the past few years, though the best is yet to come

Sony in a distant third, their games are getting a little homogenous for me, though still good.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sony takes the lead easily for me, followed by Nin for the strength of their IPs.

If MS didn't have Arkane, and to a lesser extent Bethesda and Obsidian, they would literally not register whatsoever on my radar.

Wonder what was the thought process of the OP though...

"Let's make a consolewarz list thread, and ask not to be consolewary or posting lists."

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Microsoft, Nintendo and then Sony for me.

Sony would probably be ahead of Nintendo of it wasn't for the closing of Japan studio. Gravity Rush 2 was the best game of last gen

Xbox is first for me because of Halo and now that they own Obsidian

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
any studio that gives me good games honestly is top tier, I could care less about the publisher.

Nov 8, 2017
They're all strong, but Bethesda published most of my favorite AAA games of this last generation, so I have to give Microsoft the number one spot here. They would have been third place prior to that acquisition - although I still enjoyed some of their games, they just didn't have tons of studios.

I have been playing more Nintendo than Sony the last 5 years, so that gives me the rank MS > Nintendo > Sony. Emphasizing once again, all three have very strong first party organizations in 2021.

Oct 25, 2017
I go back and forth between Sony or Nintendo. Nintendo makes a lot of meh, whereas nearly every Sony studios game I enjoy.

but man, Zelda and Mario hit me hard.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I've got to go with Nintendo > Sony > Microsoft.

Sony ahead of Microsoft because I've consistently loved a load of Sony's output over the last 20 years - last gen in particular - but Bethesda and other recent acquisitions are huge for MS and I could well be singing a different tune before this gen is over.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Platform Warring
Sony Rulez! Nintendo Droolz! And MS, lol. What first party? Windows? Office? 📎? Lol.

Sony is for the players. Nintendo is for the kids. MS is for the nerds.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Personally I just prefer playstation games, from Horizon to God of War etc etc. An argument could be made for all three though, they are all really strong right now.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Microsoft has the most studios I like, although Microsoft itself does not really get much credit seeing as most of the games I love from those studios were made before they became a part of Microsoft. Still, I guess the thread doesn't require that, so Microsoft is at top for me.

I'd rank Sony and Nintendo about equal really, especially as I almost never play Nintendo games. I guess Nintendo edges out a bit as I find their games more interesting? But eh.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Sony > Nintendo >>>>>>>>>> Microsoft

Sony's been my #1 for many years. Nintendo has been complimentary to my Sony console since the N64. I no longer like Xbox consoles and Xbox first party games.

Status
Not open for further replies.