• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.nme.com

'Ready Or Not' dev splits with publisher Team17

'Ready Or Not' developer Void Interactive has shared that it will part ways with Team17.
Ready Or Not developer Void Interactive has announced that it will part ways with the game's publisher Team17.

In a tweet posted yesterday (December 20), the developer shared that "Void Interactive and Team17 have mutually agreed that Team17 will no longer publish Ready Or Not".

"We are confident that this is the right path for the future of Ready Or Not," adds Void Interactive before thanking Team17 for its work.

In a follow-up tweet, Void Interactive shared the following remark on the future:

"We would also like to reassure everyone that we are committed to our vision of Ready Or Not as a hardcore tactical shooter. We are continually scanning player feedback and will be rolling out frequent patches/updates over the coming weeks and months."
Although the developer notes that "we cannot say much more about the split," many fans have speculated that it could be due to the comments of one Void Interactive dev yesterday (December 20) on the subject of a school shooting level.

When one player asked if Ready Or Not should "have a school shooting mission in the campaign", a Void Interactive developer answered: "You better believe it's gonna".

Although there's no confirmation that creative differences are to blame for Void Interactive and Team17 going separate ways, the announcement came just hours after plans for a school shooting level were confirmed.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is all I can say.

Edit: oh, context below definitely helps. Still a super heavy topic that I don't trust games to handle.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I never even knew about this game until a week or two ago, and at the time I thought, "I might buy." Hearing about the school level, I'm out.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, life pro tip:

Don't make your thread title sound factual if it isn't.

The article you linked very specifically says it's fan speculation and there's nothing conclusive about the reason why.

It's also horribly stupid fan speculation. The school shooting level was in the reveal trailer four years ago before they even signed Team 17 as a publisher.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they were not very secretive about it. Ever since the very beginning and the first trailer years ago was it obvious that it was coming.

The game already has active shooter scenarios in other levels.

If they should or shouldn't do it... I don't know. But it's not some new revelation. And I also don't think that, for the type of game it is, it's some kind of horrible scandal. I do not think this was the reason, because if it was they never would've been the publisher to begin with. Dumb speculation.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Jesus Christ. I was wondering why Team17 suddenly dropped the game, but this seems like a pretty good reason.

Edit: Seems like this is just speculation? Anyways, wierd. Curious to see what the actual context is.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
This game is definitely on the garbage tier list. Won't be buying at any point.

Even if they want to claim it's an honest realistic level I won't take that in good faith since there's already been questionable things about the game before this.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Should we take bets on when Valve pulls it from Steam?

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I do want to add context. Ready or Not is a spiritual successor to the SWAT series. A school shooting level would be you sweeping a school as a SWAT team.

You do play as a SWAT team in this, so I assume the school shooting level is you playing as the SWAT team sweeping the school for a school shooter or terrorists or something. But tonally that's still a complete minefield.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
You play as a SWAT team and active shooter scenarios have always been part of the game. Nothing new here.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ. I was wondering why Team17 suddenly dropped the game, but this seems like a pretty good reason.

The school shooting level was shown in the reveal trailer years ago before Team 17 picked them up. It's just a fan speculated reason and the OP picked a bad thread title that sounds factual based on assumed information that makes no sense.

If you want a far more likely reason they dropped Team 17, Team 17 was telling them to not release the PvE Alpha due to quality. The game is performing well on Steam and has a (last I checked) 96% Overwhelming Positive rating and plays great, it wasn't very good advice tbh.

e:

Also an active shooter scenario in a SWAT game is literally a cornerstone of the genre so it'd be an extremely stupid reason to drop the game even ignoring that Team 17 would have knew about it for years since the team showed it in trailers before Team 17 even picked them up lmao.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Ima file this under just because you can do a setting doesn't mean you necessarily should.

artistic freedom doesn't mean freedom from consequences and an active school shooter seems like a bad idea even if you are the "hero swat team"

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: nvm I missed it

And while it would be a bit tone deaf to be so gung-ho about having a school shooting level, it's in the vein of playing as an armed SWAT team that's called in to defuse active threats, right? And if I recall, the game encourages trying to kill as little as possible.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
While I cannot exactly say that a school shooting level is more or less tasteless than say a shooting at a mall or nightclub, I will say the development team should probably tell their employees to keep their mouths shut for a game with this subject matter.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: nvm I missed it

And while it would be a bit tone deaf to be so gung-ho about having a school shooting level, it's in the vein of playing as an armed SWAT team that's called in to defuse active threats, right? And if I recall, the game encourages trying to kill as little as possible.

Depends on the mode/mission, but yeah, as a SWAT 3/4 successor the goal is to get out alive and non-lethally handling encounters whenever possible.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Seems like really it's a larger question about whether or not you should be making a game about being an American SWAT team.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
This game is definitely on the garbage tier list. Won't be buying at any point.

Even if they want to claim it's an honest realistic level I won't take that in good faith since there's already been questionable things about the game before this.
Like what? I'm actually curious, I don't know.
Should we take bets on when Valve pulls it from Steam?
Sure I'll bet on never.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
It might be worth getting that in the title.
Seriously? I dont know anything about this game and it took me 3 sec to understand that its a tactical sim and you sweep the place as a Pig.

Anyway Its very stupid if its true that there is a school shooting scenario, I assume this isnt a studio from the USA?

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Like what? I'm actually curious, I don't know.
asd4.png

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's certainly how it was in SWAT 4 and this game is basically a new SWAT 4. You're incentivized to finish a level with zero fatalities.

Might not be a great idea for a level but I don't think it's the reason for the split, especially considering the level's existence was never a secret.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I do want to add context. Ready or Not is a spiritual successor to the SWAT series. A school shooting level would be you sweeping a school as a SWAT team.
Yes, you're a SWAT team.
Depends on the mode/mission, but yeah, as a SWAT 3/4 successor the goal is to get out alive and non-lethally handling encounters whenever possible.

Right, thanks for that. Not my kind of game at all so I'll probably never play this, but considering the context I don't see what's wrong?

It sounds very low on the list of problematic and distasteful stuff regularly happening with the shooter genre in video games.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how a level where you are a swat team in a school shooting is in any worse taste than making a game where you play as a swat team in the first place.

seems like a weird bar to suddenly set if you were interested in this game.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
You gotta be stupid to touch that topic unless you telling a true to life story/reenactment.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is a good example of fake news on Facebook, and the fact that people do not seem to do a single minute of research if what they've just read is actually correct before posting their knee-jerk response and/or spreading the "facts" they've now learned.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Woof. Wow. That's uh... well, given the initial reveal trailer from waaaay back I guess I'm not surprised, but holy shit. Pretty impressed with the expediency at which Team17 noped the fuck out of this arrangement after learning this.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I hope people aren't thinking you are a school shooter in a SWAT type series.

If this is a high school shooting I think that's a pretty bad look but we've had ideas similar. Siege has Article 5 which is a bio chemical attack with shootings at a fake university. A lot of the early Siege maps are based on real events. Waco being one where children died.

While one game doing it doesn't mean others should, I guess in this type of game is the topic of school shootings off limits and only to only focus on the terrorists are at this hotel or a bank.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Context aside, "you better believe it's gonna" is a weirdly boastful response to a question like this.

Thankfully I only had an hour played on this, time to refund.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Hold on wait what the fuck? I saw about them looking for a new publisher but not the school shooting bit. Fuck me. Yeah, makes sense. I wouldn't want to publish their game either.

Icebergslim

Feb 19, 2021
An active shooter scenario doesnt have to be set in a school. As everyone here should already know an active shooter situation can happen anywhere at anytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.