• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Just saw this and some in there are claiming it's not possible for the system to actually explode like this person is claiming. I certainly don't have the expertise to know if it's possible, what do you all think?

vkl88ymavak71.jpg

It happened like 45 mins ago I'm still in shock. It's been a heat wave in the west coast but the temperature was nothing crazy as it was 2 AM maybe 65° I went in the other room to brush my teeth and heard what sounded like a gunshot from my room. I ran in there to see smoke and flames billowing out of the right side of my tv and my Xbox w 4 foot high flames and a missing panel. This was only a few seconds after the explosion and my scared cat was behind the tv when it happened but luckily on the right side. I was trying to make sure he was OK but he got out of the house when I had to open the door to let smoke out. he ran off somewhere And I was really upset because I couldn't find him and I thought he was hurt. He was pretty much ok though just singed fur and I'm so happy he is and my other cat got out safely too. I'm not sure what I'm going to do without the Xbox I use 10-15 hours a day or my tv but I think insurance will pay for a hotel in the meantime and atleast I will have my cats with me
The speculation posts start here with this user's opinion on it.
Full link below.

(Update) Some additional pictures they provided below

mods removed it

shu33e186bk71.jpg

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
No. People already faked the smoke thing when Series X launched. This is another dumb shit.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it probably can happen, to any electric powered device, but wether or not this story is true, we wont know. I don't believe it from that picture.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What kind of pressure could actually build up in there that would lead to a forceful explosion?

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
If it was true he wouldn't be posting it on Reddit, he'd be talking to a lawyer and getting ready for a multi-million dollar lawsuit.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It doesn't sound very plausible.
When devices explode, like Galaxy Note 7 did, we generally hear about it sooner than 9 months after release.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure how they would know what side of the TV their cat was standing behind if they were out of the room when it happened? The story doesn't really add up.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
The things people do for Reddit karma these days. Like blowing vape smoke into the exhaust to get 15 secs of fame.

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't look legit from the photos. The damage looks localised to one side, and you'd imagine it'd be more internally localised if there was any explosion.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I'm not sure what physically even could make a computer explode like that. capacitors don't afaik

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Computers can certainly catch on "fire", but they just smoke and smell terrible.

Edit: I'm excluding cell phones.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
lol it looks like he took a blowtorch to the top of the console. That does not look like something exploded. Like the fanboy that had a smoking XSX at launch.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
That rubber strap sure is heat and explosion resistant. I need to get some of those!

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Imma say low chance. Pretty sure an explosion wouldn't melt the console like that. It would blow off in chunks. Could have caught fire though?

Edit: Oh, not providing receipts on the other details? Could just be scamming by buying a broken XsX on eBay and taking a blow torch too it.

Edit 2: Just saw the other pictures, there was a fire, jury out if it was the series X that did it.

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I'm extremely skeptical. Even powersupplies can't blow up like a bomb(like it looks here), and that's really the only thing that can "explode"

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
What a load of horseshit.

He's gotta go stay in a hotel because his XBox burned up? Nothing else in this picture is burnt. Dude is acting like his house burned down. Why should anything else be believed?

Just browsing through that thread, seems like the poster has a real history of making shit up.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I don't doubt any electronic device with an internal PSU or battery can go up in flames, even through no fault of their own. Literal explosion, though?

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
So the poster of that said on Reddit four months ago his XSX and PS5 were stolen. And then he said he has no source of income because he's disabled so he just invests in crypto.

This dude trying to scam his way into some pity money.

*Edit* He also said in the past this PC was stolen and his cash app was hacked. Seems like some mental health stuff going on

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty telling that they aren't showing any pictures of the scene where the Xbox supposedly caught fire, or their cat and its singed fur. They'd have to fake damage to more than just their console, and they aren't willing to do that.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Not without a battery.. I'm just trying to figure out what even happened to this

Put it directly on a heat source on one side maybe?

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019
I mean the picture is clearly taken outside, and the lighting doesn't really look like 2am to me. Also, I can't imagine what would explode to that degree in a console: there are no batteries to catch fire.

So my guess is that this console was caught in some fire that had nothing to do with it and OP is karma whoring.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
they went full in on the pity bingo, not only the xbox but it ruined their house AND their cats? i'm surprised it didnt knock the urn containing the ashes of their dead family members too

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
As others have said, when a PC or console "blows up," you get a spark and a small puff of smoke, not something that looks and sounds like a C4 detonated inside it like the reddit OP posted. I can say this from experience as someone who didn't set their CPU correctly the first time I built a PC, lol.

This poster is going over the top on the theatrics to try to get pity. I don't buy it.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I worked in IT for 20+ years in huge data centers. I've witnessed ONE desktop start smoking and fry itself in that entire time. Imagine if they could explode and take out the entire server rack. LOL

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
There is nothing in the xbox that could explode and shoot 4 foot flames. If the power supply went you'd hear a pop and that's it.

It looks like the external shell is melted and the internals are relatively in tact, not something you'd expect from an "explosion."

This entire thing is a farce

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
So the poster of that said on Reddit four months ago his XSX and PS5 were stolen. And then he said he has no source of income because he's disabled so he just invests in crypto.

This dude trying to scam his way into some pity money.

*Edit* He also said in the past this PC was stolen and his cash app was hacked. Seems like some mental health stuff going on
Yeah, fake as hell and we shouldn't be giving it attention

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I mean the picture is clearly taken outside, and the lighting doesn't really look like 2am to me. Also, I can't imagine what would explode to that degree in a console: there are no batteries to catch fire.

So my guess is that this console was caught in some fire that had nothing to do with it and OP is karma whoring.

He also said the ambulance was there…and this was posted 45 minutes after he said it happened

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Lol no, the "fire" was focused around the APU and RAM when, if it was possible, it should've been around the Power Supply. Even then, not enough to produce this amount of heat.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
They describe an Xbox where the back panel flew off during a gunshot-like explosion but show a picture of an Xbox where it looks like the back panel has been slowly melted.

Status
Not open for further replies.