• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DinkyDev

Feb 5, 2021
Ex-Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aimé is a big believer in blockchain technology.

But blockchain, which is used to trade and record cryptocurrency and NFTs, can't just be used by developers as a money making scheme, Fils-Aimé said. Instead it should be player-focused.
Speaking at last month's SXSW event in Texas, as spotted by Nintendo Life, Fils-Aimé said "I'm a believer in blockchain, I think it's a really compelling technology."

"I'm also a believer in the concept of 'play to own' within video games," he continued. "And I say this as a player where I may have invested 50 hours in a game, 100 hours in a game, and there are some games I've invested 300 hours in" he continued. "When I'm ready to move on to something else, wouldn't it be great to monetise what I've built?
"I bet I'd have some takers here today if I wanted to sell my Animal Crossing island from the latest Nintendo Switch version. I'd like to be able to monetise that."

Blockchain would allow that to happen, Fils-Aimé said, but he later clarified that it needs to make sense for the player above all else.
www.ign.com

Reggie Fils-Aimé Says He's a 'Believer In Blockchain' - IGN

Ex-Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aimé is a big believer in blockchain technology that he says could enhance the experience of games like Animal Crossing on Nintendo Switch.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
reggie-whats-wrong-with-you.gif

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Never liked Reggie very much / got the adoration.

... Well, outside of the amazing Mega64 video.

Oct 25, 2017
Reggie Fils-Aimé believes in exploting people in order to pocket massive amounts of money. Like all CEOs. Of course he loves crypto garbage.

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
What does block chain technology achieve in the context of video games, that currently can't be achieved with Valve's implementation of the Steam Market?

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
"it needs to make sense for the player above all else."

Players don't wanna monetize Animal Crossing Islands...

They don't? am not sure, but I don't want to.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Play to own what a dumb concept. Like wtf are they trying to turn games into?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
The concept of being able to make a business profit out of the time investment of a hobby you put into is foreign to me.

Can anyone else explain this?

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Reggie has long been the most overrated guy in gaming. I've never seen what is basically a regional sales/ops/marketing director of any other company get so much praise.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i mean hes a big suit of course hes talking positively of a new trend that has the possibility of making money in his mind

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Blockchain continues to be the most successful snake oil in history, lmao. It's built out of all the perfect corporate buzz words to ensnare business people who can't be bothered to analyze what value it's actually adding to a product that already exists (i.e., nothing).

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
I never understood why they use their closed platforms as an example of how to sell items between players... like its a closed system, you make it happen without killing the planet. Valve technically already does this with the marketplace. Their are very limited items on it that are sold between players for a lot of money, I sold a hat once for over $100!

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
The concept of being able to make a business profit out of the time investment of a hobby you put into is foreign to me.

Can anyone else explain this?
Maybe i'm like super way off the mark here, but from what i'm understanding of Reggie's CEO speak, he's saying for instance with Animal Crossing, what if someone made a really cool island, spent hundreds of hours into it and then decided, ok well i don't really use this any more, let me sell it to someone. I don't know how the blockchain stuff works exactly, but i would assume the idea is there's some sort of verification that this is in fact Reggie's island, and you are now the new owner of it.

It sounds to me like a long way of selling a game completed already. Or like those people who sell full Pokemon boxes or fortnite skins/accounts on ebay. Or i guess from another perspective, imagine you had a full complete set of a series of Pokemon cards, and you decided after collecting all of them you'd sell the full set rather than individual cards at a time.

Its one of those things that almost kind of makes sense on paper but is really dumb the way Reggie is leveraging it.

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh sorry Reggie is dead now. Gross.

Joking but only half joking. Thankfully he isn't anywhere near influencing a major game dev to go in on blockchain

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you sell your island?
More relevant, why would anyone just buy an island and have almost nothing more to do in the game? That seems so pointless.
The whole point of AC is to build and customize your town how you want.

Lumiiaura

Apr 23, 2022
Ireland
Reminder he wasn't you're friend or this cool guy he was a suit always was so of course when money is involved you know what his opinion was gonna be

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I know what he's getting at and it sounds great however my biggest issue is the amount of power it takes for it

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Gaming is supposed to have fun, not trying to earn money while playing a game. If you want to earn money do something else that is actually productive.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Its one of those things that almost kind of makes sense on paper but is really dumb the way Reggie is leveraging it.
And, you know, the authentication process continuously requires massive amounts of energy that destroys the environment at an even more alarming rate

When someone says they believe in the block chain, they're also saying f*** the planet.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Selling stuff on video games for real money? Wow. What an inovative idea. I bet it wasn't possible at all in the past, and that people would be really happy if, say, for example, Diablo 4 had a place to sell their items for real money.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The day Nintendo implements real currency trading in-game between players (not necessarily blockchain) will be the day competitors will probably be implementing holo projection for holo co-op and some shit like that lol. Yeah, Reggie, this isn't it.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's funny how quickly the blockchain went from being new, buzzworthy concept to being something that now carries Boomer energy. Every time I hear somebody trying to hamfist blockchain / crypto / NFTs into gaming I'm like
4bUV7Ls.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.