• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

Hopefully the Xbox SDK at launch is good enough to make developing for both consoles as painless as possible.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
More work I guess but if the thing sells and will help move units of the game it should be worth it, no?

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a "Series S holds back 'real' next gen" situation but it is an increase to their overall workload.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Hopefully Microsoft puts in the work needed to make everything work as easily possible for developers, it's on MS to make sure this isn't an issue.

All we can do is see, it's stronger then most PCs so that shouldn't be an issue for the most part but adding workload can be. Just gotta have the tools and support ready for devs.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Did the X or Pro versions cause the same concerns? Might have since some pro/X versions came later or had issues. Have to wait and see how well the toolsets are.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
I assume the end goal of the Xbox SDK is to have impeccable profiling tools to easily allow devs to scale down certain settings (e.g. resolution) to maintain the exact same performance as for Series X. Otherwise, it could easily turn into a headache reminiscent of the current-gen landscape. Let's see if all those rumors about Microsoft lagging in the SDK development end up being something.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering all Xbox games for the future must be compatible with this, obviously it's going to effect games on a technical level

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
How so, though? Remedy isn't a console exclusive developer. Surely they must have loads of experience working with different hardware by now?

Considering all Xbox games for the future must be compatible with this, obviously it's going to effect games on a technical level
Up until a certain point, of course. We're alredy seeing Microsoft drop Xbox One development in favor of Series S/X development.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
Let's list the different aspects they now have to deal with. 1. Ps5 hard drive 2. 2 different Xbox's 3. Different GPUs.
I'm sure there are many more variables

Oct 30, 2017
Well yeah. It's one more thing they need to check and make sure it runs like its supposed to. But the SDK should allow for this to be a smoother experience.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Is MS going to help devs in some way with optimizing? Ot they just announced them that they are going to have to do more work on their expenses?

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
I guess there is no problem when they get to charge consumers for the ultimate edition for PS5 and Xbox Series X.

Oct 27, 2017
The worry is weird. Don't PC devs do this already?
Well PC games usually allow players to freely change settings to alter the performance. I think on consoles the expectation is more that performance should be "good" at a default. This seems more akin to developing on the Switch and having different profiles for docked vs undocked, with expectations of different, but good performance on both, although with a much larger difference obviously

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
Coming off Control, a fantastic game with some truly awful performance on anything but the high end, I get their concern! They seem to have struggled a bit.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
This is like saying that it's troublesome to work and optimize a game on a GTX 3060 when you have also a 3090.

I mean devs are supposed to be used to this, the vast majority of them also work on PC and they had to make games on Xbox One, Xbox One X, PS4 and PS4 Pro.

Streusel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Dec 28, 2017
Isn't Control one of the worst performing games on base consoles?

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I get it we all hate more work, but it's all about the bottom line regardless to make the game more accessible.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
I definitely get the angle of the Series S being harder to work with. At the start, it's on Microsoft to make the developer tools as easy to use as possible.

With that said, going forward I think the Switch has shown that developers can and will make sacrifices if the userbase is there. Time will tell.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
User banned (1 week): Backseat modding, thread whining, platform warring metacommentary. History of infractions for platform warring and trolling.
Let me guess, this thread won't be closed?

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Well considering the state of Control at launch on consoles I'd say optimization is already trouble for them.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Does Remedy not also make PC versions of their games?
there a min and recommended specs for a reason. They more than likely design for the recommended spec. this is why damn near ever pc release we have performance threads of people optimizing their setups, Console we dont have that so there is more work on them than the work usually put on PC users.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
I love this community. We went from "Jaguar cores are the worst, Radeons from 2013 are laughable, they are holding the industry back" to "nah, they just need to lower the resolution".

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
As a mobile game developer who primarily works on graphics and has to worry about a range of hardware across iOS and Android, this thread is going to make me want to gouge out my eyes. This is the opinion of an expert in the field and it can't be dismissed with throwaway lines about them already having to do that for PC.

One of the primary benefits of consoles as a concept is that they are a single hardware target which you can focus on. It is far easier to get close to the maximum of what a single piece of hardware is capable of than it is to get close to the maximum of what several pieces of hardware are capable of. Compare a console and an equivalently powerful PC and the console version will usually be significantly better in visuals, performance or both. PC gaming makes up for this with substantially increased power on all fronts.

Adding more consoles inevitably makes things trickier for developers, and the S will be no different. Getting the most out of the S and the most out of the X will be a significant challenge: in almost every case you will have a less optimal experience on one or both. This is already the reality of multi-platform development, but clearly the addition of the Series S exacerbates that. Overall the S should expand the Xbox user base and maybe even the console user base, and that should make up for it because developers will sell more. Doesn't change that it's going to be a pain.

I think it's worth remembering that not that long ago Phil Spencer had a lot of people here convinced that releasing on the Xbox One wouldn't hold stuff back before the rhetoric was shot to pieces by the Halo Infinite showcase.

Let me guess, this thread won't be closed?

Why should it be?

Last edited:

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
If scaling with nearly identical hardware but with a less powerful GPU is that much trouble, you need to question your savvy as a developer.

Naturally Remedy has been awful at this so the tweet makes sense.

SavageCobra

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Microsoft puts in the work needed to make everything work as easily possible for developers, it's on MS to make sure this isn't an issue.

Yeah, in the Xbox article today they posted this:

"In speaking to game developers, we identified the areas that are most difficult to scale effectively, including the CPU and I/O, and made it easy to include Xbox Series S for developers who are targeting their experiences for Xbox Series X."

news.xbox.com

Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X Launch November 10, Starting at $24.99 a Month with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and EA Play - Xbox Wire

Now more than ever, gaming plays an important role in our lives. As one of the greatest forms of creative expression, gaming sparks in our imagination and connects us to new worlds, stories, and our friends. On November 10, a new generation of console gaming begins. That’s when our vision...

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
This just a comment on needing to optimize and test a whole other platform instead of just XSX. Not a talk of power from what I got from this

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Maybe if they were able to charge a series s to x upgrade patch the work will be a little less of a nuance

Status
Not open for further replies.