• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Inappropriate direct call-outs of other individual members
It's been a really eye-opening day on ResetEra. There has been an emerging discussion in the Steve from Minecraft Announced for Super Smash Bros Ultimate thread about the gaming bubble that ResetEra occupies – with various labels of Boomers and Zoomers being thrown around with abandon. It's an interesting subject – how reflective is ResetEra of gaming as a whole, and how inclusive and accepting many are our members to the most popular genres and franchises in the world.

The context is this: Steve from Minecraft was announced as a playable character for Super Smash Bros today. The introductory video demonstrated the character – with many optional skins reflecting various characters and enemies from the franchise. Gameplay was demonstrated, with new combat mechanics such as building and seemingly crafting, introducing radical new concepts into the Smash universe. The procedural-generation of stages was also included, with an arena that seemed to change for each playthrough – with Minecraft biomes also programmed in. It was also reveal that the Smash team had reprogrammed every single Smash stage to facilitate the new mechanics.

When you consider all of the above, it is immediately clear that this new character and all of their related content, has been done with considerable effort and respect for the source material. It is an addition that is going to appeal to millions upon millions of gamers of all ages.

A substantial portion of the era-community had a… different view.

MOD EDIT: Quoted posts removed

There's a lot to dissect here. A few common themes in the above quotes, and the linked thread at large were:
  • Minimal acknowledgement that there is an audience wider that is larger than themselves
  • Bitterness that a popular, gaming megastar was chosen over some obscure characters from decade-old dead franchises
  • Fan fiction that Masahiro Sakurai has been forced into this inclusion by Nintendo, and would never have ever chosen this character
  • Derogatory references to Minecraft as being a game for children and only children – despite the game being a decade old, one that has sold millions upon millions of copies to a healthy all-age audience. This is repeatedly expanded into the assertion that children and only children, could be happy with this outrageous character inclusion
  • Petty insults towards Minecraft in general - comparing it to an N64 game, etc.
  • Bitterness towards "Zoomers", who should be kept well away from the Smash franchise
  • Protestations that Minecraft is unworthy of inclusion in Smash, based on some arbitrary criteria in which it doesn't have some vague measure of credibility
  • A slippery-slope fallacy, that including Minecraft opens up the floodgates to other contemporary franchises – Fortnite is cited many, many times as an "enemy" of sorts
  • Critique that the Minecraft aesthetic is an anathema to the Smash Bros aesthetic, despite Smash Bros including dozens upon dozens of art styles and designs
You can read more going into the thread, it's all very interesting.

The disconnect between the above, and the wider gaming ecosystem, is eye-opening. In the thread, the topic came up that those engaging in the above discourse were an equivalent of the "Boomer" stereotype – older gamers unwilling to accept the new, possessing what is perceived to be their franchise, with hostility towards inevitable change and newer gaming conventions. A good number of posters referred to the "Resetera Bubble"

So what do we think? Is Resetera a community with gaming "Boomers" and less "Zoomers" (to use the suggested labels)? Are we trapped in a gaming bubble in which a weight of voices in our community cannot recognise trends and popularity in wider gaming?

Contrast the above quotes to reactions across Twitter, YouTube and other places – the celebration, praise and excitement for Steve's inclusion is overwhelming. The Resetera quotes and much of the content in the linked thread, bitter and defensive as they are, seem to be a major outlier, as bubbly as bubbles get.

Last edited by a moderator:

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People have opinions, and might differ on your own. It's not a matter of Era being a "bubble"

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Steve is a great addition, more people would recognize that character than any other in that game with exception of Mario.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm an old fogey and I don't play Minecraft and even I know he's going to be popular. My niece and nephew were excited.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've long accepted that at 23 I might as well be a toddler on this board.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a really eye-opening day on ResetEra. There has been an emerging discussion in the Steve from Minecraft Announced for Super Smash Bros Ultimate thread about the gaming bubble that ResetEra occupies – with various labels of Boomers and Zoomers being thrown around with abandon. It's an interesting subject – how reflective is ResetEra of gaming as a whole, and how inclusive and accepting many are our members to the most popular genres and franchises in the world.

The context is this: Steve from Minecraft was announced as a playable character for Super Smash Bros today. The introductory video demonstrated the character – with many optional skins reflecting various characters and enemies from the franchise. Gameplay was demonstrated, with new combat mechanics such as building and seemingly crafting, introducing radical new concepts into the Smash universe. The procedural-generation of stages was also included, with an arena that seemed to change for each playthrough – with Minecraft biomes also programmed in. It was also reveal that the Smash team had reprogrammed every single Smash stage to facilitate the new mechanics.

When you consider all of the above, it is immediately clear that this new character and all of their related content, has been done with considerable effort and respect for the source material. It is an addition that is going to appeal to millions upon millions of gamers of all ages.

A substantial portion of the era-community had a… different view.

There's a lot to dissect here. A few common themes in the above quotes, and the linked thread at large were:
  • Minimal acknowledgement that there is an audience wider that is larger than themselves
  • Bitterness that a popular, gaming megastar was chosen over some obscure characters from decade-old dead franchises
  • Fan fiction that Masahiro Sakurai has been forced into this inclusion by Nintendo, and would never have ever chosen this character
  • Derogatory references to Minecraft as being a game for children and only children – despite the game being a decade old, one that has sold millions upon millions of copies to a healthy all-age audience. This is repeatedly expanded into the assertion that children and only children, could be happy with this outrageous character inclusion
  • Bitterness towards "Zoomers", who should be kept well away from the Smash franchise
  • Protestations that Minecraft is unworthy of inclusion in Smash, based on some arbitrary criteria in which it doesn't have some vague measure of credibility
  • A slippery-slope fallacy, that including Minecraft opens up the floodgates to other contemporary franchises – Fortnite is cited many, many times as an "enemy" of sorts
  • Critique that the Minecraft aesthetic is an anathema to the Smash Bros aesthetic, despite Smash Bros including dozens upon dozens of art styles and designs
You can read more going into the thread, it's all very interesting.

The disconnect between the above, and the wider gaming ecosystem, is eye-opening. In the thread, the topic came up that those engaging in the above discourse were an equivalent of the "Boomer" stereotype – older gamers unwilling to accept the new, possessing what is perceived to be their franchise, with hostility towards inevitable change and newer gaming conventions.

So what do we think? Is Resetera a community with gaming "Boomers" and less "Zoomers" (to use the suggested labels)? Are we trapped in a gaming bubble in which a weight of voices in our community cannot recognise trends and popularity in wider gaming?

Contrast the above quotes to reactions across Twitter, YouTube and other places – the celebration, praise and excitement for Steve's inclusion is overwhelming. The Resetera quotes and much of the content in the linked thread, bitter and defensive as they are, seem to be a major outlier, as bubbly as bubbles get.

It was a joke.

I'm not interested in Steve but I've been defending his inclusion for the exact reasons you listed.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I like good stuff from the generations below and above me.
I dislike bad stuff from the generations below and above me.

Minecraft is good.
Steve from Minecraft is a laughable boring character when there are so many others to pick from.

This topic is not a dichotomy.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I would have been unhappy with any third party choice so whatever. It's just back to waiting 3 months or whatever for me. Hard to be too disappointed being primed by the first pass.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
That's a nice wall of shame you put up there

But yeah, people should realize that not all products are aimed at them and that different demographics exist

Imagine the most sold video game ever be in the biggest video game crossover ever!? Madness!!!!

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
*cough*

Terry Bogard

works both ways

I don't have any interest in Minecraft and likely never will, so yes I was disappointed. But I have no problem with Steve being in the game

Oct 25, 2017
It is super embarrassing that this site and a good amount of its' member strive for inclusivity for all races/creeds/religions/whatever and do a great job ......

and then you have the OP and it's riches of embarrassment.

The contrast is insane and it really puts a damper on how inclusive this community tries to be. The discourse lately is straight gamefaqs level in its clownery.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
There aren't many bigger blind spots you could have than thinking a game that is coming up on its official 10th anniversary and was/is a true phenomenon only has an audience made up of children.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
"Cancel Sakurai" LMAO
The Smash fanbase doesn't deserve this man, after this last Smash title he should retire for good and stop bothering with this toxic fanbase.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
steve is more recognizable than any of the roster aside from mario, sonic, and pikachu

crying at geno requests

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing as I was one of the people quoted in the OP, let me clarify: I'm a zoomer, and I was disappointed not because of Steve himself, but just because I thought after ARMS getting representation it'd be Xenoblade 2's turn. I'd have been disappointed by literally everything else in general!
I'm happy for those who like it and I'm sure a lot of work went into it.
People with elitist attitudes succ

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
saw a dude on twitter include Wall Street Kid in his list of "better" picks, and i just feel like if you're old enough to know who the fuck Wall Street Kid is you're too old to be having twitter tantrums about minecraft in smash

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, the quote from me that was featured in the OP was actually sarcasm. I'm truly excited, and my kid loves the reveal. I was meme'ing, and I guess that's my bad when the thread was already a toxic cesspool.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just so you know, OP. My WTFF you quoted was from surprise, not hate. It has no place being on a wall of shame.

You can read all my subsequent posts on the matter for my genuine excitement

Last edited:

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Image.ashx

I will say, I do agree with that Big the Cat pick tho

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Resetera is often not representative of the reality of gaming. Which is not a problem, each community is as it is.

It starts to be a problem when people are not able to realize it they start making ridiculous arguments like "Animal Crossing is niche and less important than Metroid" or "Nobody cares about Minecraft in 2020".

Basically if you are not a single player story driven game on Resetera, you are not relevant.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
25 (late end of Boomer right before Zoomer)and like Minecraft. Used to play it a bunch with my brother when we were teens. Only sorta against its inclusion because I wanted Master Chief.

Oct 25, 2017
Nice OP. I had heard that there was a negative reception but hadn't seen many of those until now.

Can't do much but laugh really. People really get uptight about character announcements huh.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
LMAO those quotes.

Steve is probably the best possible modern non-Nintendo character that could have been chosen.

I'm not big on Minecraft and he was one of the few characters that I wasn't interested whatsoever, but I knew if Sakurai added him in, Sakurai would find a way to make it work. As expected, he did.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It read to me like a lot of people who were out of touch with what is popular as gaming as a whole. Smash should have characters who appeal to everyone. Not just characters we grew up with, also characters kids born after 2005 might have grown up with. I have no problem with their inclusion. Many of my child hood favorites are in the game like mario, sonic, banjo, and solid snake, so why should i shit on the inclusion of a wildly popular gaming icon for post millennials?

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
That's an awful lot of effort for what amounts to a name and shame thread. Classy.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
You got my western in my Japanese game. Please get me a new one

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Since I was quoted there, yeah I was disappointed and again, I don't have to pretend to be happy about it or fake positivity. Some people seem to get so upset when you voice any kind of displeasure, I don't have to lie about how I feel cause it makes somebody happy. Call me a boomer you nerds, whatever. I'll play the character when it comes out, me being upset enough to take the time to type a post in one minute doesn't mean I'm omega pissed about the situation.

Also OP how long did it take you to get all those quotes

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't understand the point of this thread. People can't express disappointment at Minecraft Steve's inclusion? Then it has to be a bigger thing about boomers and zoomers?

Status
Not open for further replies.