• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the stronger set of 4 games?

• Resident Evil 1-4

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Silent Hill 1-4

Votes: 26 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Discontent

May 25, 2018
I know RE4 is more of an action game but it's there to counterweigh the OP af Silent Hill 2.

Silent Hill and Resident Evil are as dissimilar as they similar and they're not really quadrilogies because of all the games that came after but it makes for an interesting poll imo. I'd like to have swapped out originals for REmakes but keeping it OG is fairer and that is the prime era for both series thus far. This might have been a comfortable win for Silent Hill for me personally if RE4 wasn't in the mix and because of the fact I've always had a soft spot for OG RE2. You really can't go wrong with any of the 8 games up for consideration and I wouldn't be surprised or mad if Silent Hill were to take this one.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I think RE1-3 and SH 1-3 is a closer battle. With RE4 that is going to disproportionately affect the outcome of the poll lol

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 4 was one of those milestone games like Ocarina of Time, or Half Life, the other games being good or classics is the cherry on top.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
As you said, putting RE4 in there while SH has to put up The Room, I'd give it to RE.

BUT, without the 4th entry of both, I think they're much much closer

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean without REmake, maybe even with it, I definitely gotta give it to Silent Hill. Just four top tier horror masterpieces.

RE4 is a better game than all of them, but for both series as whole it's Silent Hill.

Maybe you could sub RE4 for Code Veronica, so you have four "classic" horror REs versus four Silent Hill titles.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
RE2 and 4 are some of the best games ever made, RE1 is a classic even if it was surpassed by its remake, and...um...RE3 exists.

Silent Hill 2 and 3 are great, but it's really hard to top the RE series when it was on fire.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I've only beat SH1 & got halfway through 3, but I still feel confident saying RE1-4 is better. And I'll never pass up an opportunity to post this gif:

tumblr_o3w2gybAjc1qjztgpo1_400.gifv

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I think Silent Hill 2 might be the best individual game of the whole lot (and SH1 is extremely strong) but RE2 and 3 and 4 are just too much.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Resident Evil 4 is my all-time fave, and I still have to vote Silent Hill. Come on. There is just no contest, imo. When it comes to survival horror, Silent Hill is the definitive winner.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
I mean without REmake, maybe even with it, I definitely gotta give it to Silent Hill. Just four top tier horror masterpieces.

RE4 is a better game than all of them, but for both series as whole it's Silent Hill.

Maybe you could sub RE4 for Code Veronica, so you have four "classic" horror REs versus four Silent Hill titles.
That's an easy win for Silent Hill, even for me. :( I thought this would still be a close call because SH2 and 3 are OP.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Resident Evil, hands down. Silent Hill 3 is in my top ten of all time, but RE4 is the best there is.

SH1>>RE1
RE2=SH2
SH3>RE3
RE4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SH4

(but honestly even if SH1-3 were all handily better than RE1-3, and SH4 turned out significantly better than it did, RE would still probably win overall just because of the quality of RE4 overall).

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I never could quite sink into Silent Hill the way I could RE. I actually find SH1 to be infinitely unplayable today, which makes me sad, because I remember it being so creepy.

I've only beat SH1 & got halfway through 3, but I still feel confident saying RE1-4 is better. And I'll never pass up an opportunity to post this gif:

tumblr_o3w2gybAjc1qjztgpo1_400.gifv
Been so long since I played it... is this real? Wrong "you're" and all?

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
QuƩbec
Yeah, that kind of unfair for me. Like, original RE1 for me actually suck, while all 4 Silent Hill are fantastic. 2 and 3 are true masterpieces.
Then original RE2 and RE3 are actually okay, but 4 is literally one of the best game ever.

Really a difficult choice. Went for Silent Hill simply because it's also the most forgotten of the two.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
SH, easily. I even like SH4 more than RE4
Yeah i said it era. Deal with it

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
RE1,2,3 vs SH1,2,3 is a much better comparison since RE4 and SH4 are kind of the odd ducks.

Silent Hill is a much better horror franchise, but Resident Evil has better "survival horror" gameplay with the inventory management and limited saves.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
The PS1 Resident Evil games are much, much better than Silent Hill 1-3 mechanically. It's really not even close. Resident Evil's inventory management, item juggling, significantly distinct weapons, and limited saving (necessitating smart routing through the game - whether you're a new player or are going for a fast time) make it a much more interesting series to play through. The Silent Hill games are very flaccid in comparison - their enemies are much less threatening and the combat isn't actually any better (you would expect it to be given that SH lacks RE's inventory and resource management, which is its defining feature and what makes its simple combat work).

However, the Silent Hill games are absolutely unmatched in terms of aesthetics. They're inferior games to the classic Resident Evils (I'm not even including RE4 in this) but they're still awesome.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I adore all the Resident Evil games, and RE4 was at one point my 2nd favorite game of all time.

... And yet, overall, Silent Hill as a franchise is just so much more meaningful to me. SH1-4 are a type of gaming experience I truly miss and I think they're in a league all their own at this point.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
re4 is literally the greatest game ever made

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Silent Hill mechanically is trash compared to even Resident Evil 1. Sorry, it's not a contest and I love the first four Silent Hill games.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
RE3 vs SH3 would be a better faceoff: Both feature a protagonist that directly continues the first entry, both are the more "Action-y" entry of their series, both made within 2 years after the previous entry, and both have their fans but are not considered the "best" in their respective series.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
in either of these series are 1-4 games considered a "quadrilogy" or did you loaf them in for argument's sake?

Status
Not open for further replies.