• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I just started Returnal a few hours ago. After 6h47mins of playing I can't say that I'm not surprised. Surprised at how difficult the game... isn't ? I beat it with 2 deaths, in my third run. I played every weapon I found, except the rocket thing.

My first death was at the very beginning of the game, where it seemed to be that you are supposed to die (like in the Souls games,
I'm sure you can kill it) and the second death was at the first encounter with a fractured sentient (something like that, there's a cutscene). I guess you can say I beat it in my second run with one death. Bosses was first try and I still had the astronaut thing at the end.

I'm not familiar with Housemarque but I loved playing the game, specially Nemesis (that theme). I still have a lot to do and discover, obviously, and I'm not done with the game yet. Anyway, this isn't a review, after finishing the game I was actually disappointed. Like, this is it ? I'm surprised at how easy the game was, funny thing for a rogue-like where you are supposed to die over and over. So yeah, the all point of a rogue kinda fell through this. Even tho there's gonna be interesting things in my next runs, but no challenge means no fun. And yes, this can be a con. Specially for this kind.

This is just to talk about what you think about Returnal's difficulty. I'm sure I'm not alone and the controversy about it was just.. weird. The game actually needs a hard mode.

E000UcIXMAgXjKW

Last edited:

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
You are either incredibly lucky, incredibly skilled at 3-d action games, or both.

I think of myself as reasonably skilled and I am stuck in Biome 2 because I don't quite have the dodge timing down for the boss.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... Like I beat it overall pretty fast too but I think the difficulty is just fine.

But I wouldn't object to an update that adds like your own custom daily challenge thing.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
You just had rngesus bless you. I just finished it for the first time since my save got wiped in 5 hours with 2 deaths but everything fell perfectly. But I got fucked over so hard on my first few times playing jt.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Can't even get past the first boss yet. And I've beaten Sekiro goddamnit 😂. I'm probably not great with 3rd person gunfights.... Which is strange considering I'm an American.

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good difficulty level IMO. Also your first 1-2 runs are much easier as there are a lot of intro encounters to the biomes

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Must respect developers artistic vision

that's the line right we always use right folks?

Fandorin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OP is too good for the main thread.

But yeah, I kinda agree. I wouldn't say the game is easy, but having a harder difficulty mode would increase replaybility a lot. I really liked the game, but I don't see myself coming back to it once I get the platinum trophy which is pretty easy.

Demon_Ice

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
This is like humblebrag minus the humble lmaooo.

That said, OP what's the strat for the insane amount of AOE damage spam in biome 3??

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you know what to do, sure, it's not too difficult (though it's still easy to die if you're not careful)

But the VAST majority will find it tough going.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Can't spoil it, but from what you say, you can't have beaten it? Have you done 6 biomes?

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on the sex.

I'm assuming this is the similar kinda thread? "Why don't more people get laid? It's pretty easy"

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's gonna turn out that OP got the Pylon on biome 1, cleared 1-3 and then ran to Era to brag lmao.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao such an edgelord thread title, amazing. Congrats on the huge penis bro

Ralph

Oct 27, 2017
It really isn't that difficult once you get the hang of it, it's definitely daunting at first though. My first run through I died 21 times.
My first go at NG+ I didn't die once, and completed it in 6 hrs.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Homie played half the game thought he beat it lmao.

For the record my first run got me almost done with biome 3.

After your first real death the game seems to super scale and fuck you over with many bad runs with dog shit drops and asshole room comps.

Feb 15, 2019
I do agree that imo the bosses were a bit too easy. But on the other hand that's understandable as the bosses are the end of the stage pretty much since it does save after each boss. Also your stats definitely don't add up.

I died quite a bit more but all my stats are like double yours.

85decbc82000ee7929b2349e28dd554f.png

There's so much databank missing in yours I don't think you're quite done with the game yet. And even I'm not actually done with the game yet.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Leaving aside the fact that the OP didn't actually beat the game, it's important to have difficulty modes so that people like (theoretical) him can turn the difficulty up to an appropriate level.

Status
Not open for further replies.