• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
www.reuters.com

Moderna may be superior to Pfizer against Delta; breakthrough odds rise with time

The following is a roundup of some of the latest scientific studies on the novel coronavirus and efforts to find treatments and vaccines for COVID-19.

The mRNA vaccine from Pfizer (PFE.N) and BioNTech (22UAy.DE) may be less effective than Moderna's against the Delta variant of the coronavirus, according to two reports posted on medRxiv on Sunday ahead of peer review. In a study of more than 50,000 patients in the Mayo Clinic Health System, researchers found the effectiveness of Moderna's vaccine against infection had dropped to 76% in July - when the Delta variant was predominant - from 86% in early 2021. Over the same period, the effectiveness of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine had fallen to 42% from 76%, researchers said. While both vaccines remain effective at preventing COVID hospitalization, a Moderna booster shot may be necessary soon for anyone who got the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines earlier this year, said Dr. Venky Soundararajan of Massachusetts data analytics company nference, who led the Mayo study.

So glad I got Moderna. I knew those side effects werent for nothin.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who got the JJ back in March, I'm really debating just going to get a double dose of Moderna now that I can just walk in anywhere and get it.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry - did they just say that I'm only 42% protected now against catching COVID?

edit: never mind, hasn't been peer reviewed yet

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
200.gif

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
Me and my entire family are shot up with Moderna living in Covid Capital USA (Florida). None of us have had a breakthrough infection (nor did we get COVID before). Hope it lasts.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
So either way people will need booster shots? I'm fine with that.

Further specifying which vaccine is better seems like splitting hairs at this point, though. People should get vaccinated, regardless of which one it is.

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
Any danger to get a 3rd shot of moderna now? I got mine a while ago but didn't know if I should prepare for the winter storm

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Is it safe to walk in and get a Moderna shot if your first two shots were Pfizer, or does a booster shot consist of something different from the initial dose?

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Literally there's a different report every week about one shot being more effective than the other. Seems silly to keep posting them.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It should really not be allowed to make topics based on non-peer reviewed studies.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
But this stat assumes that everyone who has been vaccinated has also been exposed, so it's meaningless.

Even if it does, .01% of anything is statistically insignificant. And with the case numbers where they are at, yes it is safe to assume a vast majority of people have been exposed to Delta at some point over the last few months.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I think comparisons (especially non-peer reviewed stuff) does more harm than good. Like you've got already vaccinated people in here wanting to go and get another shot.

Covid threads on non-peer reviewed stuff shouldn't be posted on ERA imo

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Moderna has blast processing, but Pfizer has better music.

J & J, of course, is portable so you can take it anywhere.

As always, your preference will come down to exclusives.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is a "booster shot" just another shot of the same stuff, or is it in some way customized or modified in a way that makes it a proper third shot? I guess what I'm asking is would the standard moderna dose function as a "booster" for someone who has the Pfizer now?

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
A) As long as there's a booster that works I don't care which one I have to take

B) An "Under 12" vax needs to happen ASAP even if it will need a booster itself in a few months/a year

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I think comparisons (especially non-peer reviewed stuff) does more harm than good. Like you've got already vaccinated people in here wanting to go and get another shot.

Seriously. This "cheerleading" a specific vaccine is kind of sad. "I'm SO glad I got Moderna!" lol

also, I thought they two were essentially the same? what is the difference between the two vaccines?

OP
OP
bye

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I stopped reading after the 1st line that this was ahead of peer review...

It cites 3 different studies though which paints a pretty clear picture

In a separate study, elderly nursing home residents in Ontario produced stronger immune responses - especially to worrisome variants - after the Moderna vaccine than after the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine. The elderly may need higher vaccine doses, boosters, and other preventative measures, said Anne-Claude Gingras of the Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute in Toronto, who led the Canadian study.

People who received their second dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine five or more months ago are more likely to test positive for COVID-19 than people who were fully vaccinated less than five months ago, new data suggest. Researchers studied nearly 34,000 fully vaccinated adults in Israel who were tested to see if they had a breakthrough case of COVID-19. Overall, 1.8% tested positive. At all ages, the odds of testing positive were higher when the last vaccine dose was received at least 146 days earlier, the research team reported Thursday on medRxiv ahead of peer review.

Oct 27, 2017
It is really hard to keep up with all the stats, studies, peer reviewed or not about all the vax. Sometimes Pfizer seems "better", sometimes one vax drops 5 or 40% "effective" against infections. I really have no clue what to give weight to.

even the 97-99% of Covid infections are "unvaccinated" doesn't feel true as 12% of cases in San Antonio now are vax, and I think New Jersey just posted 18% of their cases maybe for a week we're vax? It makes sense as the vax population goes up but that 97%+ number can't be true anymore can it?

maybe I'm misunderstanding ?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Should probably stop posting non peer-reviewed stuff. You're driving people nuts

seroun

Oct 25, 2018

^

Reuters shouldn't publish this type of non-peer reviewed thing, and ERA shouldn't accept topics of non-peer reviewed topics.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That 99,99% stat is vs everyone vaccinated, nice, but not every vacinated person got tested positive or had COVID, so that stat is meaningless. Now I wanna see how many got confirmed positive and lets see what the % is then.

.01% of all vaccinated is 16,000 people, and that's before you get into stuff like pre-existing conditions and age and other risk factors

that is pretty insignificant no matter how you want to spin it

Status
Not open for further replies.