• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Travless

Mar 7, 2018
The rumor mill has struck again, this time claiming that 343 Industries' Halo Infinite is currently the biggest and most expensive game in development, with a budget of over $500 million, which doesn't even include marketing costs. That's right, there's a rumor/report currently floating around that claims the next installment in the Halo series is splurging half a billion on just development costs. The "report" comes way of German outlet Xbox Dynasty, where it's claimed that Halo Infinite's development costs currently dwarf even the likes of Rockstar Games' Red Dead Redemption 2. For those that don't know: Rockstar Games is well-known for dumping more resources into their games than basically everyone else in the industry. But apparently, Microsoft has given 343 Industries a blank check.

It's hard to imagine an FPS running dev costs alone up to $500 million, but at the same time, Microsoft's net worth is over $700 billion, so $500 million wouldn't necessarily run them dry. With 343i continuously revolving all communications around how Infinite will be a big step forward for the series, I guess it fits the bill. I still call bullshit on that number, but I'd be interested in seeing what a $500 million dollar Halo game would be like (or any game with a previous pedigree in general).

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/04/07/halo-infinite-xbox-one-pc-biggest-expensive-project/

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Both Comicbook.com and the source (Xbox Dynasty) are apparently unreliable.

That being said, they're building a new engine on top of a Halo game, so I wouldn't be surprised if this game were really expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.