• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney

The latest episode of WayPoint Radio makes a rather bold claim about the current situation over at Game Freak, the developer behind the Pokemon series. In this episode, WayPoint's Austin Walker claims that the morale of Game Freak employees is at an "all time low", but he doesn't elaborate on why that is.

Honestly, if it's true, maybe the SwSh fiasco will finally be the kick in the pants they (Edit: By which I mean Masuda, and the rest of the higher ups, the actual devs at faultless here.) need to decide to start listening to the fanbase instead of ignoring them.

Edit: Please see the threadmark for a transcript of what was said on WayPoint Radio.

Last edited:

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
Damn, I'm imagining the negative reception from the leaks is going to outweigh the positive.

Love the new QoL additions in the new trailer.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
That's sad to hear.

i dont think SwSh will be a fiasco, previews have been extremely positive. They'll be great games, I'm sure.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Probably due to those leaks. And people calling them lazy and whatnot.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon's fanbase is what probably brought their morale down, it shouldn't give them even more reason to continue to be terrible and whiny to devs.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Article couldn't even quote an entire sentence or link to a timestamp for further context?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Hardly surprising.

Still, I hope that good/great reviews (going by the great previews), great sales and hopefully good user reception will raise their morale up.

Their games have been special and important for millions and millions since 1996.

Oct 28, 2019

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I can imagine. A huge leak and being falsely called lazy by toxic Pokemon fans surely has done a number on them. I'm sure they'll get through this rough patch.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
My morale would be low as fuck too if my vocal fan base online was that toxic.

Also lol "the SwSh fiasco", great previews, people excited by all the designs, it's going to sell millions, yeah what a fiasco... Lmao.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
If it's true it might refer to the fact that SwSh is the biggest production Game Freak has ever done, and with big productions come even bigger management responsibilities. It leads to burnout if they don't manage well.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Hasn't there always been rumours of more veteran people at general wanting to work on big things other then Pokemon
And then disliking younger people that join game freak seeimg it only as a pokemon studio?

Not that any of us on the outside can really know the truth as of now

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I remember hearing rumors that there was apparently internal strife at GF during Let's Gos development, because apparently a good chunk of the devs didn't care for the way that Pokemon was moving forwards with the games.
In fact, wasn't it Masuda himself that said that?

It wouldn't shock me if that internal strife is still there.

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably because they have one of the most spiteful "fanbases" in the industry. It probably fucking sucks to be called lazy online all day every day, especially for some inconsequential design decision that the majority of the workers probably had no say in choosing.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If your biggest production yet leaks and a bunch of fans are posting negative things online and calling you lazy/incompetent then yeah I can see why

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
but he doesn't elaborate on why that is.
Uh, he's very clear that from what he understands, it's due to the post-E3 reception to the game. Hard to imagine what happened at E3 that may have their employees feeling this way. 🤔

Anyway, this sucks to hear. The decision to cut Pokémon really fucking sucks, but I don't blame the developers for it. That kind of decision happens because of things that the higher-ups control (not enough staffing, business decisions, prioritizing other aspects of the game, etc.). If there aren't enough people or isn't enough time to make it happen, then that isn't the fault of the average worker. I hope they don't take it too personally.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I thought he said it was because of the general reception of the games following E3? Doesn't really mention leaks at all.

effin

Jan 20, 2019
Honestly it can be pretty demoralising working on a game and having constant negative comments surrounding it. Whether it is the primary reason or not, I'm sure the amount of harsh discussion surrounding the games isn't helping.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for them, hopefully the positive reception of Sword and Shield will give them the boost they need. I did my part by telling James Turner that I was excited for the game and thanked him and Game Freak for creating a game based on the UK.

Right or wrong I imagine it sucks to put hours and hours of work into something only to be called lazy pieces of shit by their fans.

Agreed.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
It's hardly surprising when a team of creators produces it's highest quality work to date and the fan base says, "it's not enough" and "it's not good enough".

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hoestly, if it's true, maybe the SwSh fiasco will finally be the kick in the pants they need to decide to start listening to the fanbase instead of ignoring them.

damn dog you really had to figure out a way to make this about you huh?

it's amazing that your takeaway from this is "maybe they'll listen to me now"

embarrassing

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if it's true, maybe the SwSh fiasco will finally be the kick in the pants they need to decide to start listening to the fanbase instead of ignoring them.

Imagine having this as the takeaway from the story. Pathetic.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
When the game sells blockbusters I'm sure they'll feel better. But it sucks for the developers to have something they've spent years developing being leaked and having everyone trash it without even playing it.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I imagineLittle Town Hero being panned also didn't help their morale. It must be hard to work for a studio who is confined to one property and attempts to go outside that property don't tend to work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.