• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Taken from this huge thread on the Pokémon subreddit, which is itself based on a Smashcast stream of the game: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/dug2r5/spoiler_restriction_to_catching_pokemonwtf/

Watching the stream, it seems like GameFreak has restricted WHAT LEVEL Pokemon you catch in the wild based on your game progress.

The streamer came across a level 28 Sneasel but wasn't able to try and catch it since it was above level 25.

What the shit is this? Isn't the whole point of running into overleveled Pokemon the high-risk / high-reward factor? It's literally just high-risk if you can't actually catch the Pokemon.

If this is true, this is one of the worst things Game Freak has ever done tbh. Catching Pokemon is the main draw of the game, and literally barring players from catching them is stupid. Some in the thread suggested that it's locked behind gym badge progress, and to be fair, badge restrictions is nothing new for the series. However, in the other games, a lack of gym badges merely meant that outsider Pokmeon (i.e. the ones you get in trades from other players) would occasionally ignore commands in battle. It had no effect on battles with your own Pokemon nor catching them in the wild in the first place. It seems as though Game Freak is doing everything they can to alienate fans with this entry smh

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a rumor, it has been announced at E3 and it's on the official website. It's also an obviously required mechanic to not cheese the progression.

People are really desperate to look for outrage at this point.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
It's not a rumour, it has been officially confirmed. It's just a lot stricter than we thought

And I feel it's a bad choice too but it has it's merits

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
This can't be true, the level of stupidity required to make such a decision is something I don't think GameFreak could do.

Edit - Da fuk?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This is neither a rumor and this was revealed during the E3 Treehouse stream. This was expressly communicated months ago and has been on the website ever since.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
This is taking information way out of context. It's supposed to be in the Wild Area only, and relatively early game. It's also been discussed and asked and answered in the discussion thread.

Folks are seeing things that've been known play out in real time thanks to leaks and old, out of context news is the new thing to whine about.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, this is news to me. Dex cuts and exp share didn't bother me, but if you come across a Pokémon in the wild and battle it, you should be able to catch it.

edit: Oh. Not as bad as it sounds then.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
It's not a rumor, it has been announced at E3 and it's on the official website. It's also an obviously required mechanic to not cheese the progression.

People are really desperate to look for outrage at this point.
This is not an obviously required mechanic, what a silly opinion. If I want to catch stronger Pokemon, and am in the position to do so without being wiped out, for fuck's sake let me! What is it with Game Freak removing player agency in these games?!

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is not an obviously required mechanic, what a silly opinion. If I want to catch stronger Pokemon, and am in the position to do so without being wiped out, for fuck's sake let me! What is it with Game Freak removing player agency in these games?!

If you could catch level 40 pokémons when you have only one badge, it would let you cheese the game incredibly easily. Nothing has been removed. It's an early game only restriction that apply only in the beginning hours of the wild area.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I wasn't aware of this. I guess it's similar to loot games where you can't equip armor or weapons above your level. Not a big deal.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it, if your progress is already blocked by obstacles in the overworld, why do this?

edit: oh, it's in the wild area. that's completely fine.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Man, imagine if Pokémon had a mechanic where Pokémon don't obey you if you don't meet a certain standard. That would be a more elegant solution than straight up restricting catch, huh?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you could catch level 40 pokémons when you have only one badge, it would let you cheese the game incredibly easily. Nothing has been removed.
Could you catch a Pokémon above you're level without restriction in previous games? Yes?

Well then guess what it's called when you can't do something in one game you could do in a previous one?

It's a stupid and unnecessary restriction, if people want to cheese the game fucking let them.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
OP is obviously not a Pokemon fan to not know this already smh. It's only in the wild area and looks great.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Good.

Imagine catching a Lvl 40 Pokémon while your currently highest isn't even Lvl 20...

The obvious way to deal with this is to have the level 40 Pokemon wipe your party out if you attempt to catch it. But if you do somehow manage to survive an encounter with a Pokemon that's of a higher level than you are, you should absolutely be allowed a chance at catching it.

The older Pokemon games had it so you couldn't control Pokemon above a certain level without the appropriate badge. But there's no reason this should still be a thing in this day and age.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Could you catch a Pokémon above you're level without restriction in previous games? Yes?

Well then guess what it's called when you can't do something in one game you could do in a previous one?

It's a stupid and unnecessary restriction, if people want to cheese the game fucking let them.
No, because they didn't exist before the first gym.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can catch a pokemon a few levels above yourself in this game too. You just can't catch a considered strong monster in the BEGINNING of the game in the wild area.

Outrage over nothing.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it, if your progress is already blocked by obstacles in the overworld, why do this?

edit: oh, it's in the wild area. that's completely fine.
The Wild Area is the only place where these high level Ppkemon exist, so the restriction wouldn't apply outside of it because of that not because the Wild Area has an arbitrary limitation.

When you beat a Gym it gives you a message saying, "You can now catch Pokemon at Lv. X" this means that if you were to catch a high level Pokemon outside of the Wild Area you couldnt do it either.

Its complete garbage

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
the real question is about shiny pokemon, it would really suck if you accidentally find one and suddenly you cant capture it because you didnt get the necessary amount of badges, i havent followed the game much, but do they have some system in place to make sure that wont be a problem? or perhaps do these not appear in the wild area at all?

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
the real question is about shiny pokemon, it would really suck if you accidentally find one and suddenly you cant capture it because you didnt get the necessary amount of badges, i havent followed the game much, but do they have some system in place to make sure that wont be a problem?

Nah, if you find a level 28 shiny and can only catch up to 25, you're outta luck

Status
Not open for further replies.