• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Racism; Prior Severe Ban for Racism and History of Dismissiveness in Sensitive Topics
www.newsweek.com

Seattle Protesters Smash Amazon, Starbucks, Walgreens in Riot Videos

Seattle police said protesters broke windows, vandalized buildings and looted businesses before throwing rocks and bottles at officers outside a police station.

To be clear, I don't think the people doing this are affiliated with the actual BLM movement. I usually see non-Black people doing these sorts of riots.

But our local grocery stores and pharmacies are being destroyed, looted, and disrupting day-to-day life for everyone, and making things a lot more uncomfortable for POC. The protests have died down here, CHAZ/CHOP is no longer a thing, but I keep hearing loud "fireworks" at night, and it's getting really uncomfortable living here. I can't even go to the grocery store to get food or go to the pharmacy to refill prescriptions. Seattle's Capitol Hill area feels more like Detroit each day. No one at any level of government knows what to do to get a grip on this situation. At this point, I don't even think these destructive acts are even to defund the policy, but to carry out anarchy. I don't feel safe in an area where everything is boarded up from being smashed.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
People should start performing citizen's arrests of people caught looting and broadcasting their faces. Don't mean to promote conspiracy theories but I'd bet some of this is being committed in order to justify sending in Trump's secret police.

The first link doesn't even really make sense. Protestors smashed in an Amazon store and spray-painted 'Bezos' on the walls? Why exactly would people be suddenly destroying property because of something he's done?

Edit: or maybe it's less of an issue than OP is letting on.

Last edited:

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
The first link doesn't even really make sense. Protestors smashed in an Amazon store and spray-painted 'Bezos' on the walls? Why exactly would people be suddenly destroying property because of something he's done?

Anti-capitalists. Bezos/Amazon is the poster child for corporate greed.

Holosmith

Banned
Jul 12, 2020
I still believe in protests, but I knew the George Floyd protests were going to get hijacked sooner or later.

What a shame.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Why wasn't this a headline when the police were sending protesters to the hospital?

Edit: Also works in the present tense

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Where the heck in Seattle do you live? I'm in Fremont and there is 0 of what you're taking about. I was just in cap Hill this past week and near SLU as well.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in Seattle and this is some bullshit lol

Not sure what garbage agenda OP is trying to push but it's perfectly safe around here.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's only violence when it's against property. Don't you know you are in America.
Eh destroying grocery stores and pharmacies is a bit of a double edged sword since food and medicine are necessities to live and it moves away from violence against property to violence against others.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
time.com

How American Power Dynamics Have Shaped Perceptions of Looting, From the Boston Tea Party to Today

Ideas about looting evolve over time—and in the United States, race has always been part of that evolution

"For example, in response to one person's sympathetic tweet about a looted Macy's store, Jen Rubio, co-founder of the luggage brand Away, tweeted, "I urge you to redirect your empathy from Macy's to the Black community. If you're uneasy seeing a store being looted, imagine how it feels for Black Americans to see their community being looted daily through systemic racism. I say this as someone whose store was looted."

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I live there and this hasn't been my experience. Stores being boarded up has more to do with the uh, global pandemic going on right now than the protests. It is eerie though. Windows being smashed downtown is not anything new either.

There has been a seeming uptick in gang related shootings, but this happens every summer sadly. Don't have a good enough source to be able to tell whether it's worse this year than usual.

I'm sorry you feel unsafe OP.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where the heck in Seattle do you live? I'm in Fremont and there is 0 of what you're taking about. I was just in cap Hill this past week and near SLU as well.

This is me. I'm in Cap Hill all the time. It's business as usual only slower because not everything is open.

Edit.

OP claims he lives next to Cal Anderson park yet has never felt unsafe or heard a gunshot till recently.

If I WANTED to feel unsafe or hear a gunshot I would go to Pioneer Square or Cal Anderson at night. Or Brighton.

Last edited:

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Yeah, I saw conservative Twitter making a big stink out of this yesterday -- anything to distract from Trump's Gestapo, I suppose. ("See, guys: these aren't PEACEFUL protests!")

Looked up Google out of curiosity and nope'd out of that Newsweek article when they cited Cheong.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Unless you're talking about THIS kind of violence, instigated by Seattle PD on apparently innocent civilians:

...you can kindly step off with this baseless framing of Capitol Hill, let alone all of Seattle. My friends who live roughly 12 blocks away from the smashed windows mentioned here have reported nothing of the sort. Same goes for other neighborhoods mentioned here (along with my home base of the Greenwood area).

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Care to explain DarkMagician, or are you content to post a hit-piece that cites Ian Miles Cheong of all people and claim that Capitol Hill feels like Detroit before slinking away?

Also curious to hear what your vision of "dangerous like Detroit" means.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This talking point that the city is 'unsafe and under siege' is the same bullshit the Feds and right-wing media are trying to aim at Portland right now.

And it is complete and utter bullshit.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I saw conservative Twitter making a big stink out of this yesterday -- anything to distract from Trump's Gestapo, I suppose. ("See, guys: these aren't PEACEFUL protests!")

Looked up Google out of curiosity and nope'd out of that Newsweek article when they cited Cheong.
There's a lot of bad information out there that is being used to justify the police state.

For example, in NYC, look at this:

Lots of shady going right now.

And this with an informal work stoppage.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, from now until November I'm gonna go ahead and take anything about protesters and violence with a massive grain of salt.

I'm seeing a fair amount of narrative building.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I like how people are trying to slam on OP as if most people don't view Detroit as a dangerous place. Same for Chicago, New York City and etc.

q1dm4

Oct 27, 2017
i came in here expecting to read about the escalating police brutality this shitty country is putting us through but consider me surprised lmao

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
There's a big right wing push to paint cities as on fire. Culture war tactics that Nixon used and now Trump is looking to use, so it's not surprising that many right wing sources are going with the cities are in fire, law and order approach.

I won't litigate DarkMagician, but looking at this stuff systemically, it's not hard seeing the narratives being pushed on social and the media.

Dec 12, 2017
This is me. I'm in Cap Hill all the time. It's business as usual only slower because not everything is open.

Edit.

OP claims he lives next to Cal Anderson park yet has never felt unsafe or heard a gunshot till recently.

If I WANTED to feel unsafe or hear a gunshot I would go to Pioneer Square or Cal Anderson at night. Or Brighton.
Brighton in the UK? Lol

Oct 26, 2017
I like how people are trying to slam on OP as if most people don't view Detroit as a dangerous place. Same for Chicago, New York City and etc.
That could be said for most metropolitan cities in North America and usually by people who don't live in those cities. The point OP was trying to make was a barely concealed dog whistle.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
Eh destroying grocery stores and pharmacies is a bit of a double edged sword since food and medicine are necessities to live and it moves away from violence against property to violence against others.
I'm not gonna get to much into it because I'm not from Seattle and don't know what the situation is on the ground. But I'm just gonna say, I doubt people are going hungry. Pharmacies are another thing but cities have multiple pharmacies. In my opinion we put to much value in the shit that got burned down. Even on this site. "Violence" is against another person, not a grocery store.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta push back here. Yes, there has been an increase, but a lot of the reporting and framing has been specious. Even the NYPD own stats showed a reduction in major crimes if you compare YoY.

NYPD also pulled similar lies when the bail reform bill passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.